Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,016,299 times

Advertisements

I don't recall them not being good for dogs. I dropped a frozen broccoli piece and my dog grabbed it off the floor and wanted more, so I gave it to him. Also, is boiled chicken good for a dog~? I hear a radio talk show host boils chicken for his dog. Do grocery stores have this for purchase at the deli, or do I have to do this myself If I was to do this, how long do you boil a chicken~? What part is the best part to give to a dog~? Could I boil it outside on a grill on the separate burner~? Do I cover the pot or what~? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
OMG!!! You want to give a DOG broccoli? Have you lost your mind? Have you ever read the book, "Walter, the Farting Dog"? Your dog will no doubt be jet propelled, and your house will probably need a major Febreeze treatment...

But, to each his own...as for the chicken, you can boil it, lid on or off, just make sure to take all the bones off...

Broccoli for a dog!? ROTFLMAO! Thank you, I am seriously laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. Oh...too funny.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
OMG!!! You want to give a DOG broccoli? Have you lost your mind? Have you ever read the book, "Walter, the Farting Dog"? Your dog will no doubt be jet propelled, and your house will probably need a major Febreeze treatment...

But, to each his own...as for the chicken, you can boil it, lid on or off, just make sure to take all the bones off...

Broccoli for a dog!? ROTFLMAO! Thank you, I am seriously laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. Oh...too funny.
You have me laughing so hard too I eat broccoli and don't have gas issues. He kept wanting more and more He had like 4-5 frozen pieces of it. I offered a bone, but he turned it down. I think he's a broccoli-kind-of-boy~! LOL~!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,013,592 times
My dogs love roasted broccoli, but not raw (they're a little bratty), they only get a piece now and again because it does make them gassy and they sleep in bed. Boiled chicken is fine for dogs, but I'm guessing you're a vegetarian and cooking a chicken may be uncomfortable for you. Your dog doesn't need chicken to have a happy healthy life. I haven't seen plain boiled chicken at the store, possibly grilled chicken breast at somewhere like Whole Foods.

My dogs really want to eat anything I'm eating, outside of foods that are deadly for dogs they pretty much get a bite of whatever I'm eating. They love cucumbers, pineapple, oranges, radishes, tofu, yogurt, bananas. There are lots of special treat you can give your dog that aren't meat based and I'm sure your dog will be perfectly happy.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,774,020 times
broccoli (or any veggie) wont HURT your dog (as already pointed out, might make em realy gassy though LOL!)
but dogs are carnivores (not obligate like cats but still they dont NEED veggies)

in terms of chicken boild chicken will do them no harm...nor wil grilled ect...dogs eat meat, as long as you dont add salt or seasonings, its fine...though cooking it does remove some of the nutrients.

how long you boil the chicken will depend on how big your pan and how much chicken.
generally for boiled chicken i dice whatever breast i have available (i typically use chicken thats frezer burnt or mabe been sat in the fridge one too many days ect) into bite sized peices, stick it in a pot of hot water and a low boil untill its white all the way trough.

or you can grill it, broil it in the oven ect...

Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,574,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I give my dog broccoli all the time and he's never gotten a gas problem from it. Nothing I feed him gives him gas. He's a long-haired chihuahua.

Having said that, I had an English Bulldog that'd get gas from damn near anything. I had to feed him a very bland diet.

Each dog is different in how they react to things like broccoli.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
Sam was a major "gas hound". As most Bassett Hound mix dogs are. He pretty much ate the scraps off the kids plates, mixed with some dry dog food. But when I made broccoli, and the kids did not eat much, Sam got quite a share..he had SO much gas, it was beyond..literally, he cleared out the family room on Monday Night Football!

So, after that experience, Sam was banned from broccoli for life.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
My dogs love roasted broccoli, but not raw (they're a little bratty), they only get a piece now and again because it does make them gassy and they sleep in bed. Boiled chicken is fine for dogs, but I'm guessing you're a vegetarian and cooking a chicken may be uncomfortable for you. Your dog doesn't need chicken to have a happy healthy life. I haven't seen plain boiled chicken at the store, possibly grilled chicken breast at somewhere like Whole Foods.

My dogs really want to eat anything I'm eating, outside of foods that are deadly for dogs they pretty much get a bite of whatever I'm eating. They love cucumbers, pineapple, oranges, radishes, tofu, yogurt, bananas. There are lots of special treat you can give your dog that aren't meat based and I'm sure your dog will be perfectly happy.
Yes, I am a vegetarian. I asked them tonight at Whole Foods if they have any chicken already boiled or something, but the only thing they had was flavored something or other. I don't wish to cook it. I know I've gotten baked chicken or something for him a long time ago at Kroger's (our local grocery chain). I really don't want to cook it or have it in the house, despite I do deal with his food and meaty dog treats which I have gotten use to in the in the years.

My Yorkie loves carrots, the end stem on lettuce but doesn't like tofu. I know there are other treats to give to him, but this was a thought for the night I had.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,342,280 times
Being a vegetarian, you'd probably rather not buy a whole package of chicken, or cook it. Most pet stores carry All-pro freeze dried chicken treats. They also come in Beef liver. I like them because they have only one ingredient, the meat, and they're made in the USA. They're a little pricy but they last a pretty long time. I use them for training treats and break up the big ones. Look for a white plastic bucket.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,774,020 times
in the refrigerator section of most grocery stires (ive seen it in my local kroger) most stores carry perdu brand "grilled chicken strips" there pre cooked chicken in a resealable bag.
kinda expensive given the price per lb but if cooking your own would be a problem those cut up nice and small would probbaly fit the bill...they do add quite a bit of salt though to pre-cooked chicken products, so theyshould be given sparingly, those would make good high value training treats with the likes of green beans, raw carrot, sweet potatoe "chips" (dehydrated sweet potatoe) ect could be used as the more regular treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs