U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2011, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 10,011 times
Default What food to give a dog with a high metabolism?

I have a 35 pound dog that I adopted from the shelter. She is a Boxer/Shepherd/Pit mix. She is only 1 yr and 3 mo. old. She has lost weight on her current food. I have been feeding her Wellness Super 5 Mix food. I had been giving her almost 2 cups a day split into 2 meals. Plus, a few times a week I give her steamed carrots or string beans. She is on good food...but has lost weight. Do you think a higher protein food would be better for her? Do you think she is full grown? She is quite hyper...so I take her for a good hour walk a day, plus we play daily. I think she may have a high metabolism. If that is the case what food is good?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 PM

85 posts, read 85,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyz31 View Post
She is on good food...but has lost weight.
How long has the weight loss been going on? Are we talking a few lbs or more?

I would first have the vet look her over if she is losing weight. You may wish to have bloodwork done to make sure there are no underlying medical issues.

If everything is fine, look into a food with higher kcal/cup. Adult Innova is one I can think of offhand that is pretty high, I am sure there are others.

She is probably full grown as far as height but may still fill out a bit especially if she is a bully mix.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 PM

I adopted her when she was skinny. They said had Kennel Cough...So I put her on Puppy food and she gained weight. She has been on Wellness for over a month and a half. I just noticed she has lost some weight. She has already had blood work done a few weeks ago...and all was normal. I know she is still young. Do you think a higher protein food might help her? But, I increased her food and she still didn't gain weight. Could she just have a high metabolism?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:01 PM

837 posts, read 886,983 times
if she's a very active dog I would put her on a higher protein diet. Have you considered feeding raw or doing so o few days a week?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Default I also forgot to add

She is a medium size dog. The weight loss has been noticed over the past week...your could see her last 2 ribs. She is a very muscular dog. But, even my Mom noticed her weight loss. So I gave her 2 cups the last week. Which, according to Wellness is meant for a 50 pound dog. Does she has a high metoblism or what?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Default I don't have the time to put her on raw. I am a full time student.

I am afraid to feed her raw. I am a full time student but get home to let her out. How do you do raw? I want her to have the best food. I have time to make food...but am unsure how to make raw. How do you make it? I am afraid I would make it wrong.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,363,143 times

(http://www.wtae.com/r/29852496/detail.html - broken link)

Last edited by RedJacket; 11-24-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM

8,015 posts, read 15,590,051 times
Sounds like you need to Stop the Free Food which is the carrots & green beans & slowly incerease the Dog Food again! add 1/2 cup to her food for a week or 2.. IF she stops loosing give her couple more week til you increase again Each dog is different you might not be feeding her enough. IF she gains to much to fast back off a little...

Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 PM

837 posts, read 886,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyz31 View Post
I am afraid to feed her raw. I am a full time student but get home to let her out. How do you do raw? I want her to have the best food. I have time to make food...but am unsure how to make raw. How do you make it? I am afraid I would make it wrong.
It's not hard but does take time to do it right. We use a combination of homemade raw and pre-mixed along with occasional canned and grain-free kibble (not at the same meal). If you are interested in trying to feed raw, at least part of the time here's some help. Raw Fed Dogs The Many Myths of Raw Feeding Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

This is a pre-mixed that we use: Raw | Nature's Variety

Another good food choice is The Honest Kitchen products: All Natural Dog Food | Dehydrated Raw Dog Food | Like Homemade Pet Food

Here's one sample: Leerburg | Feeding a Raw Diet

Of course doing it yourself is the most economical way but if you're very busy and feed one or two raw meals a week, at least to start, using the freeze dried or raw medallions can be an easy way to start out. If you really get into it there are ways to cut costs. And, raw fed dogs often have fewer vet problems.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,713,577 times
at 1 year old...shes still a puppy, boxers and Pitties are "slow growing" dogs and tend to be hard to put weight on during the "teenage" phase (between 1-2 years) feed her as you would a puppy, eithe rput her on wellness puppy food, or increse her feed, the recomendations on the bag are generic guesses and no 2 dogs are the same so youll need to play by personal judgment. id stop the carrots and green beans, there high fiber "fillers" and have no nutritonal value.

instead id up her food and add yogurt, cottage cheese or egg to add some calories.

you could also look into Satin Balls...they are perfect suplimentation for hard to gain dogs during the "gangly teen" stage.

and remember pit and boxers are both SLIM breeds, deep chested, you SHOUL be able to SEE the last 2 ribs and FEEL the rest, even being able to slightly see the hip bones is quite normal on these breeds.

as long as her energy is good, id increase her food add some healthy fat (dairy) and satin balls 3 times a week

(be warned satin balls will put weight on a dog FAST so watch condition carefully if suplimenting)

raw can be quite easy, right now im a "part time" raw feeder and feed prey model, its the easiest form of feeding raw after pre-made...
theres lots of information online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs