U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-26-2011, 07:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,571,940 times
I live in Brookhaven township, we have a noise ordinance for barking dogs. A dog that barks for more than 15 minutes is a violation and the owne can be issued a ticket. I call code enforcement when my neighbor leaves his ankle nipper out in his front yard barking away all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:18 AM

5,908 posts, read 6,738,040 times
firstly as much as i personaly belive putting the dog on the nd of a chain and ignoring it all da is abuse in the eyes of the law its NOT abuse to tie a dog out UNLESS your town has laws reguarding chained dogs.

it IS however considered abuse if the dog is not provided adequate shelter, food or water while tied out...doesthe dog have shelter and water? is it under weight?
if the answer to these questions is no shelter and underweight call animal control...
if however the dog has shelter isnt looking underweight and does have acess to clean drinking water your next stop is noise ordinance, call the police (or code enforcment) everytime the dog is barking for more than a few mins.
most towns have laws reguarding noise before and after certain times, different towns have different times, but any noise before or after the cut off times should ALWAYS be reported.
during the day though theres regularly laws reguarding excessive barking ect...
contact your local code enforcment or law offices to find out what would be considered "excesive"

i love dogs and all dogs do bark...but its up to the owners to control and minimize the stress from their animals behaviour to their neighbors...

it should never be a case of "get over it" how would you like it if your neighbor was blasting music at 4am loud enough you could ehar it 3 blocks away...or your neighbors kid was screaming 24/7 outside your window...youd expect them to be civil and respoinsbible then...so why not expect the same of a dog owner.

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:24 AM

5,520 posts, read 3,780,926 times
So finally the OP gets a decent response. What forum did this come from anyway?

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM

14,254 posts, read 13,270,425 times
I am glad I live where I do.

If I were asked to keep Rip and Ape quite......I would not have any idea how.

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:41 AM

5,908 posts, read 6,738,040 times
lol S2C i have no idea.

driller1 the difference is yoy recognize that and have the property/live in an area in which their noise isnt a problem lol...
also your dogs bark because there working hounds not because there ignored all day LOL.

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,012,076 times
Mu suggestion (having lived through this situation) is to speak to the owner. Tell them the dog's barking is disruptive and ask that they control it. They may not be aware that this is bothersome to others (I know it should be obvious if it's constant, but honestly, some folks don't realize it).

If they ignore your request, call your town's animal control department and explain the scenario. They should respond according to your town's ordinance(s).

Most ordinances are posted online, and you can research yourself whether the dog's barking is in violation. For example, where I live, a nuisance barking violation is 30 minutes of continual barking.

Unread 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM

5,173 posts, read 10,546,075 times
Call your local animal control and find out what their ordinances are. Then decide if there is anything they will be able to do about the animal. Some are very lax, in that they cannot much. Isn't there a website:

Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it

Great site. Personally I would not approach the neighbor again, he obviously does not give a cr*p. Call in authorities if you can.

Unread 11-28-2011, 12:13 AM

9,606 posts, read 11,956,302 times
I rarely have this problem in my town (in fact, I might be the problem, with my gang). As soon as my dogs get noisy outside, I bring them in, which is usually what they want anyway. I did get sort of used to my beagle's piercing baying, and a neighbor said it did bother, so I paid more attention to his noise. (A guy down the street said he could tell when I go to work at night, because he could hear Snoopy for the brief minute before I let him in- that bay could cut steak).
The other evening, I was trying to sleep before my night shift and heard frantic barking a street or so away. Frantic, like barking fully through each breath without let up. I know there's a house over that way that has a dog out on a chain for a little while in the morning, but this was about 9p. I debated what to do, and then called the town police and reported it. They said they'd send someone by when someone was free. I don't know what happened, but the barking stopped.

Unread 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 2,395,631 times
I had a chronically barking dog who only barked when I was away at work. I never knew there was a problem until a neighbor informed me, and I went out and bought a corrective collar the next day. Two days later, the problem was fixed for good.

I suggest talking to them before you do anything further, if they are otherwise responsible pet owners. Some people don't like having dogs in the house, but that alone doesn't mean the dogs are being neglected- if the dogs are being walked, are having interactions with the family members, and are being fed, watered and cared for regularly, the owners might not know they have a problem. Neglect is very easily observed in a yard where dogs are always present.

If your neighbors get defensive or hostile about the notification, call the ASPCA or the cops. No matter what the circumstances are, a steadily barking dog is a real nuisance in the neighborhood and will cause a lot of hard feelings the longer it goes on.

At the same time, I believe that tolerating dog barking that happens regularly but for a short period.
15 minutes of barking is a lot different than 8 hours of barking. A minute or two of barking when a dog senses a passerby should be tolerated by all, I think.... that's what dogs do, and for thousands of years, that barking was what we wanted them to do.

Unread 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 685,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Excessive dog barking is a public nuisance and the dog should be seized and put down.
LOL What Kind of $hit is that a dog getting killed because its doing what dogs do and a Nimby dosin"t like it Tough!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs