U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 AM

6,796 posts, read 7,249,831 times

Advertisements

So finally the OP gets a decent response. What forum did this come from anyway?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM

24,167 posts, read 20,945,622 times
I am glad I live where I do.

If I were asked to keep Rip and Ape quite......I would not have any idea how.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 AM

6,336 posts, read 11,977,099 times
lol S2C i have no idea.

driller1 the difference is yoy recognize that and have the property/live in an area in which their noise isnt a problem lol...
also your dogs bark because there working hounds not because there ignored all day LOL.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM

1,414 posts, read 3,046,971 times
Mu suggestion (having lived through this situation) is to speak to the owner. Tell them the dog's barking is disruptive and ask that they control it. They may not be aware that this is bothersome to others (I know it should be obvious if it's constant, but honestly, some folks don't realize it).

If they ignore your request, call your town's animal control department and explain the scenario. They should respond according to your town's ordinance(s).

Most ordinances are posted online, and you can research yourself whether the dog's barking is in violation. For example, where I live, a nuisance barking violation is 30 minutes of continual barking.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 13,307,958 times
Call your local animal control and find out what their ordinances are. Then decide if there is anything they will be able to do about the animal. Some are very lax, in that they cannot much. Isn't there a website:

Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it

Great site. Personally I would not approach the neighbor again, he obviously does not give a cr*p. Call in authorities if you can.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:13 AM

10,764 posts, read 16,777,770 times
I rarely have this problem in my town (in fact, I might be the problem, with my gang). As soon as my dogs get noisy outside, I bring them in, which is usually what they want anyway. I did get sort of used to my beagle's piercing baying, and a neighbor said it did bother, so I paid more attention to his noise. (A guy down the street said he could tell when I go to work at night, because he could hear Snoopy for the brief minute before I let him in- that bay could cut steak).
The other evening, I was trying to sleep before my night shift and heard frantic barking a street or so away. Frantic, like barking fully through each breath without let up. I know there's a house over that way that has a dog out on a chain for a little while in the morning, but this was about 9p. I debated what to do, and then called the town police and reported it. They said they'd send someone by when someone was free. I don't know what happened, but the barking stopped.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

11,174 posts, read 5,577,982 times
I had a chronically barking dog who only barked when I was away at work. I never knew there was a problem until a neighbor informed me, and I went out and bought a corrective collar the next day. Two days later, the problem was fixed for good.

I suggest talking to them before you do anything further, if they are otherwise responsible pet owners. Some people don't like having dogs in the house, but that alone doesn't mean the dogs are being neglected- if the dogs are being walked, are having interactions with the family members, and are being fed, watered and cared for regularly, the owners might not know they have a problem. Neglect is very easily observed in a yard where dogs are always present.

If your neighbors get defensive or hostile about the notification, call the ASPCA or the cops. No matter what the circumstances are, a steadily barking dog is a real nuisance in the neighborhood and will cause a lot of hard feelings the longer it goes on.

At the same time, I believe that tolerating dog barking that happens regularly but for a short period.
15 minutes of barking is a lot different than 8 hours of barking. A minute or two of barking when a dog senses a passerby should be tolerated by all, I think.... that's what dogs do, and for thousands of years, that barking was what we wanted them to do.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,667,548 times
Here in Los Angeles, a bill is in front of the city council that would make it extremely expensive to own a dog that barks continually.
This bill states, if a dog is barking more than three minutes continually, the owner WILL be fined $300.00 for the first offense, $600.00 for the second, and $1000,00 for the third.
After that the animal is taken away.
I expect it will pass because the city is looking for all ways to bring in money.
Bob.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM

4,281 posts, read 3,539,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Here in Los Angeles, a bill is in front of the city council that would make it extremely expensive to own a dog that barks continually.
This bill states, if a dog is barking more than three minutes continually, the owner WILL be fined $300.00 for the first offense, $600.00 for the second, and $1000,00 for the third.
After that the animal is taken away.
I expect it will pass because the city is looking for all ways to bring in money.
Bob.
Three minutes...seriously? Wow, that is just a little extreme IMHO.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:40 PM

3,686 posts, read 5,245,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Three minutes...seriously? Wow, that is just a little extreme IMHO.
How about your neighbors dog bark fot three minutes at 2 am..see if you think that reg is extreme then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs