U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,016,816 times

Advertisements

Yes, I mean he really cries. He stands up on the center cup holder , faces front, and starts to whine, then he gets more and more upset and eventually he is crying. Its like a high pitched screeching. He won't stay in the back seat with the other dog, who is fine. He is a rescue, poodle/schnauzer mix, and very tense. I thought maybe he had a quesy stomach, but it seems to be real fear. He has excellent hearing and barks at any little noise when home.

What could cause this? I have had him almost 2 years and its no better. Taking him to the dog park in the car is a problem. How can I make traveling with him better? I would like to take longer car trips with both dogs but I need help with this first. I really don't want to medicate him. What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 08:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,756,769 times
Perhaps he was dumped from a car before being rescued? Its so sad, and I don't know what it would take to calm him. Poor thing, hope you get some answers.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
I wonder if femi is right. So sad if true. BUT lots of dogs cry in cars. Even well adjusted dogs with happy life histories.

PhxBarb, is he excited when you tell him you're going in the car? Does he jump readily into the car? Does he stop crying when he's in the front seat? When you arrive at the dog park, does he stop crying when the car stops? Does he have fun at the dog park?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,016,816 times
Hopes: He is very excited to go into the car. He can't wait. The two of them jump all over me and run to the garage. He goes right to the front and just starts whining, quietly at first, then more and more and louder. When we get there, he loves the park and isn't nearly as upset on the way home. Maybe cause he is all tired out ? He just must associate the car ride there with something bad but I don't know what it is.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
it may not be fear at all but complete and utter excitment, dogs dont just "cry" for fear, theres LOTS of vocalizations that mean otherwise...
the fact he seems to be calmer on the way home suggests it the trip TO some place, hes excited about going in the car excited about where hes going...

my biggest suggestion is to start slow...

get in the car, give him a treat get out of the car before he gets talkative...
then start going on shor trides, treat ONLY when hes quiet and keep it short at first, as soon as he starts squeeking the trip is over.
slowly as he learns quiet = treats you can increase the trip elnght.

my parents cocker is a cryer in the car, but its certainly not fear...he squeeks he cries he pants he howls, but he reacts exacty the same as your dog...as soon as you say "going for a ride" hes bouncing and running to the door and wants in the car no matter what...
we figured it was just excitment (ie a kid squeeling in excitment) and used short trips and treats to train him to tone down the volume.

id also strap him in so he CANt stand on the console, if something were to happen even at only 25mph he would hit the windscreen hard enough to do VERY serious damage and possibly kill. a doggy seatbelt/car harness or secure crate is a must!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Sounds like he associates riding in the car with good things! And he's excitement at the anticipation of going to the dog park now too.

Regardless of the type of association, I agree with taking short trips---around the block---so he can associate the car with uneventuful rides too.

But that might not help because my dogs LOVE going for rides around the block.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM

21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times
Some dogs bark continually in the car, too.
I don't think your dog is fearful- if he associated your car with a bad experience, he wouldn't be eager to jump in. It may be that he's become chronically impatient- he wants to just get there, no matter where 'there' is.

It sounds like it is habitual to me after 2 years. Dogs easily develop habits like this; there is probably no reason why he's whining at all now- it's just habit. It drives you crazy, but doesn't bother him a bit.

You might want to consider buying a good shock collar to break up the habit. A good one has a variable shock- the first shock is just a gentle tingle, but if the dog ignores it, the shock gradually increases in strength. I bought one for my dog when I learned he was barking steadily all day long while I was away at work. It only took 2 days to correct him- one day stopped him, and I put the covers back on the studs, but about a week later, he began again, so I uncovered the studs a second day, and the shocks he got the second time corrected him for good.

Leaving the shock collar on, but in a non-shocking mode, is important for a while. They weigh more and feel different from a regular collar. Eventually, I took the collar off, and eventually, my dog went back to barking, but only when a stranger or another dog passed by, and my dog would stop once they were gone.

Before I purchased the shock collar, I bought a 'humane' collar that responded to a bark with a very high-pitched noise only the dog could hear. I found that one to be very fussy to set, and much more painful for the dog; set too sensitvely, the collar hit him with the noise when other noise, not his barking, would set it off, and set too far the other way, it would not work reliably. After a week, the dog was miserable all the time and becoming paranoid but remained a barker. I tossed it and spent over twice the money for the good shock collar that corrected him for good.

Talk to a good dog vet about it. I'm sure that the shocks for a very persistent dog do become painful, but the dog soon very quickly the shocks to his noise making, and I'm sure they soon learn just how much they can get away with before they're blasted. For me, the two days it took to fix the problem permanently was worth it.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
a shock collar should NEVER EVER EVER be the first resource, shock collar training should be reserved for severe case training when NOTHING else has worked! it shold be the last line of defense...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
Artie does this. He whimpers and whines. But only when I'm driving and it's just the two of us. The two times that he was only with my husband (one short drive to the vet and one long drive when we moved from CT to MA), he was fine. When my husband drives and I'm in the car too, he's fine. But when it's just Artie and I, it's a whimper-and-whine-fest. I can only assume that (a) he doesn't like how I drive or (b) if I'm in the car, he wants my undivided attention.

ETA: Artie can't get to the car quick enough when I say, "Want to go in the car??" He loves the thought of it, jumps right in, and then -- if it's just he and I -- it goes to hell from there.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-28-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 AM

21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
a shock collar should NEVER EVER EVER be the first resource, shock collar training should be reserved for severe case training when NOTHING else has worked! it shold be the last line of defense...
Yes, indeed, Foxy. I only mentioned it as a last resort. Finding a good dog trainer who can correct the problem by other behavior correction is by far the best and first thing to be tried.
Finding one, though, may be a real hard thing to accomplish. It really all depends on the owner's abilities to follow through, no matter how good the advice is. A good vet should be able to give some good advice, even when there isn't a local dog whisperer around.

Thanks for mentioning that... I should have, and my post went on too long. My use of the collar was directed at a different problem, too.

I've owned dogs who whined in the car. I found that the easiest correction for me was to just grab them by their muzzle, firmly but briefly, like a mother dog does, but the dog needs to be in the front seat for this to happen safely, and can only be done when traffic isn't heavy.

Crating the dog inside the car might work well, too. There are always lots of alternatives that can be tried first.

For sure, just saying 'No!' won't do it. The 'no' has to be connected to some other specifically direct action that applies to the problem in a way the dog understands. For sure, the action does not need to be cruel or painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or