U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM

621 posts, read 2,865,913 times

Advertisements

I have 3 dogs that are 55-60 lbs. They are all on Interceptor and I have so far been ordering the 51-100lb dose. I'm about to reorder and was wondering if it would be ok to use the lower dose since their weights are so close to the end of the lower range? I was wondering how they figure where to cut off the doses? The lower dose is 26-50lbs. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,765,259 times
i wouldnt, the actual dose of active ingredient is supplied for the middle of the range so is the dosage if for 26-50lbs the initial dosage of active ingredient is designed to be perfect for the MID of that range, safe for the lower end and just enough to cover the upper, but still once you go over that upper range the effectiveness reduces drastically and quickly.

i dont have enough experience with inteceptor or its active ingredient (milbemycin oxime) as far as i can tell from what ive read the MINIMUM dosage is .23mg per 1lb.

so for a 55lb dog youd need a minimum of 12.65 mg. and 13.8mg for 60lbs
the dosage in the 26-50lbs box is only 11.5mg
it might not seem like much of a difference...butit can make a difference in effectivness.

http://interceptor.novartis.us/resou...label_info.pdf

Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

621 posts, read 2,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i wouldnt, the actual dose of active ingredient is supplied for the middle of the range so is the dosage if for 26-50lbs the initial dosage of active ingredient is designed to be perfect for the MID of that range, safe for the lower end and just enough to cover the upper, but still once you go over that upper range the effectiveness reduces drastically and quickly.

i dont have enough experience with inteceptor or its active ingredient (milbemycin oxime) as far as i can tell from what ive read the MINIMUM dosage is .23mg per 1lb.

so for a 55lb dog youd need a minimum of 12.65 mg. and 13.8mg for 60lbs
the dosage in the 26-50lbs box is only 11.5mg
it might not seem like much of a difference...butit can make a difference in effectivness.

http://interceptor.novartis.us/resou...label_info.pdf
Thanks so much for the info! I'll keep buying the same dose I have been. You say you don't have much experience with interceptor, just wondering which one you use? You seem very knowledgable in all things dogs, so just wondering what your experience has been? Also, do you think the preventatives that also repel fleas/ticks work as well as doing a seperate flea/tick treatment?

Thanks again

Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,765,259 times
ive never used a heartworm prevent that had flea/tick control i stick with seperate for both a a brnd go with a Bewers yeast supliment too

I use ivermectin based heartworm preventative (for example heart guard), its good stuff but some breeds are highly sensitive to it particularly collies and sheep dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or