Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

The GSD that we fostered for another rescue and decided to keep came in with nails that are ridiculously and very big around. I tried to clip them once but she'd just gotten here and when I picked up her foot she spazzed. I figured with everything else going on with her, clipping her nails was the least of the concerns.

At this point she's settled into the house enough that it's time we deal with nails. I grabbed the pair I use on the other dogs just to find they're not big enough. So she gets a reprieve.................for a few days. In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions / recommendations for a good set of clippers for a bigger dog? She won't have a thing to do with the Dremel and quite honestly, I'm just not willing to fight her over it. Her nails are so long it would take me forever to get them filed down with it. Besides, she's 14 years old, has hip dysplasia, arthritis, and is high heartworm positive. Stressing her out over her nails isn't worth it just to use the stupid thing.

So, any thoughts on clippers for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
I use the Millers Forge scissors style clippers to cut my dog's nails. They slice right through. Avoid the guillotine style with big thick nails.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
Until you can get clippers for her, grab a diamond-deb (finger nail file) and start filing, the old fashioned way. You might be surprised, she may just let you do it. I had an ole gal that did let me use a finger nail file on her and she hated clippers.

It's not too stressful and she'll probably be okay with it and you doing it. Well, you never know until you try? I am willing to try anything with the older ones that is less stressful, heck...they have usually been through enough.

Anyway, please let us know how it works out!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I also use the Millers Forge for my GSDs They stay sharp a long time.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks all. I just bought new nail files for vacation too, so I've got a stock pile in the bathroom. I'll give it a whirl. Worst case scenario she flips and I have to wait. Will look for the Millers Forge in the meantime. Do you order them or can I find them in Petco and stores like that?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,009 times
Good luck!! I have very small dogs..and 1 is a psycho about his nails..he recently lost a tooth from biting my hubby while hubby was clipping a nail...
I am just wishing you good luck!!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks. I've had a lot of dogs come from the shelters that were nail clipper aggressive. We've always worked through it. But working through it with a young, healthy dog is pretty different than trying to work through it with an older dog with a lot of medical issues. I don't want to push her. She's had a rough enough life; I don't want her last days to be filled with battles over cutting her nails.

As a side note, I've found the small dogs much harder to trim than large dogs. I'll take a scared rottie over a freaked out chihuahua any day!! When I pulled Munchi from the shelter and went to trim hers - O.............M.................G.............. What a nightmare. She's been the hardest so far to work with on that. She's fine now but that first year she challenged me at every turn!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks. I've had a lot of dogs come from the shelters that were nail clipper aggressive. We've always worked through it. But working through it with a young, healthy dog is pretty different than trying to work through it with an older dog with a lot of medical issues. I don't want to push her. She's had a rough enough life; I don't want her last days to be filled with battles over cutting her nails.

As a side note, I've found the small dogs much harder to trim than large dogs. I'll take a scared rottie over a freaked out chihuahua any day!! When I pulled Munchi from the shelter and went to trim hers - O.............M.................G.............. What a nightmare. She's been the hardest so far to work with on that. She's fine now but that first year she challenged me at every turn!
LOL sounds like my Nubi who is 100% chihuahua. LOL
The only time he is aggressive is over nails clippings!
I wanted to tell you thank you for being a dog rescue person though!! If I knew how to become one I would really consider doing it! My husband loves dogs also. But people like you that help dogs are the most special people on the planet !!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
agree 100% lol, at least with the big nails you can SEE what your doing when there putting up a fuss...
i like millers forge, i perfer "scissor" style clippers and the big thing is to keep them sharp!

given its probably been a long while to go SLOW, take off a little bit at a time a couple days a week to allow the quick to receed

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Thank you LM. I love doing what I do, just hate that we've had to cut back so much. If you'd like info on starting a rescue let me know. I'd be happy to tell you what I know. Just keep in mind it's extremely expensive (our rescue cost us over 12 grand out of our pocket last year) and it's an emotional roller coaster. If you'd really like to look into it, you can always contact good local rescues and see if they'd allow you to foster for them. It's a great way to get started in rescue. Will give you a good idea of what it's like.

Will def be going slow. Her nails are so long they're just grotesque. I don't think her former owner ever clipped them. And with her hip issues it can't be helping her when she's trying to walk. I thought of taking her to the vet to have it done but she doesn't like car rides and I don't want to stress her. Figured if I took her in they can Ace her and clip them though. Just don't know. The older ones with health issues are always a new set of challenges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs