U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times

Advertisements

Just went back to look at the pictures of him. Those look like broad shoulders and a big chest that is starting to form. I would guess he's going to be closer to his mama's size and very muscular. Dozer appears to be a very appropriate name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,776,804 times
I think bailey was about 25 lbs or so at 16 weeks.... her good adult weight is 50-55 lbs.....

Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
quick update...
still battling fleas so today i did the only thing i could think of beyond reapplying a topical only 2 weeks after the first (im not going to...) i whent out and bought some food grade DE and dusted everyone and everything in the house lol. i hate having it all over the place, but i hate fleas even more lol.

so i figured since im broke right now and i didnt want to spend more than i had to id take dozer as a shopping blocker lol.
stopped at tSc picked up the DE and dozer said hello to anyone that would pay attention to him...
then whent to petco, i wanted some zebra danios for my fishtank (they were on sale) and figured while we were up there...
once again he loves EVERYBODY...i mean thus far he hasnt met a stranger, eveyrone is his bestest buddy...the shopping cart didnt spook him at all, though he did hesitate at the automatic doors for a moment that passed quicly onc he saw there were people inside lol.
he met a couple of dogs too, a beautiful pitty that could ave been his much older twin...poor guy was on the euth list and a woman had rescued him just in time, he was beaten up skinny and as sweet as could be! he gave dozer a big sloppy kiss and dozer took that as play time and bounced around a bit...poor guy looked a little confused at dozers offerings lol.
he also met an English mastiff pup, 6 months old and up to her humans waist lol, beautiful dog and they said their hellos but then once dozer was fre of my arms, he wanted to play and she decieded it was the most terrifying thing in the universe and tried to clim into her daddies lap...poor girl could have eaten dozer as an apitizer...but insted she just sat on daddies knee hid her head and cried...
Dozer was VERY confused and sat there staring at her offering his paw lol.

the groomer fell inlove with him, she did his nails for me for free (i keep them short but they get sharp quick so she took the dremel to them for me ) and we were talking about the fleas, she said the friponil (frontline/plus, fripoguard/plue ect) is just not cutting it...shes heard the same issues over and over, frontline seems to be pretty much useless ...the good news is at least it isnt just me having issues with it...
she suggested K9 advantix for the dogs which was what ive been using in the past and prefer anyway so back to advantix we go in 2 weeks...untill then its brewers yeast, garlic and DE as nessicary...

but yeah, he loves people, other dogs, people...and did i mention people?! and EVERYONE loved him...even the people who at first were "is that a pit?" still couldnt resist comming over to pet him before i even told them hes not a pitbull....lol.
the english mastifs female owner knew striaght way he was american bulldog at least in part...lol...

he had a blast, got home and he crashed, woke up out to pee then crashed again lol, its tiring being social.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 4,762,954 times
He is cute-I think he will be about 50lbs? I'm not sure where you live but in Fl we use Confortis-nothing else works for fleas...

He is so cute...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

ive heard good things about comfortis, but im warey, its newere on the market theres been some funky side effects linked and its only avilable via perscription and because its a chewable theres no dividing doses whihc you can do with topicals safely as long as you know how many mls to give comfortis would cost be about $50 a month to do the 3 dogs (assuming dozer doesnt get over 60lbs)
whereas Advantix 2 will cost me closer to $10 a month to do all the dog untill dozer reaches about 55lbs, after that itll go up to about $22 a month to cover everyone and budget is definatly an issue, so ill be trying advantix first and if that doesnt work then we'll have to move to comfortis.
im allergic to fleas and from dozers skin he is too!
the bald spots from the malnutrition are doing well but hes still getting think spots around the scabs (bites) which is indicative of flea allergy. so no matter wht i have to find somethign that works well lol

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Foxy, get use to the confusing him for a pit...mine are all the time. Spanky is full Am Bulldog and Diesel is the Am Bulldog mix but they get, "are those pit bull?" Or I hear the people whisper, point or stair. It's amusing. Generally, you can tell which side of the "bully fence" they are on by the look on their face.

True story, I went through a drive through, Spanky and Diesel were in the back seat, Diesel was curious about this whole drive through deal and the smells, oh the smells had his attention. I handed the money to the guy, Diesel stepped up onto the console and put his head on my chest, now looking out the window. When the guy came back to give me my change, the color drained from his face...

Yes, I knew what side of the fence he stood on: I am afraid of dogs, especially big block head dogs and I am not reaching into you vehicle...I felt bad for the guy. He looked like he could have wet his pants (not funny) he looked really afraid, the color did drain from his face. I had Diesel back up. I took the food and drove away.

Now, as we all know these dogs are planning our demise. Dozer will get you when he hits about 70lbs but he'll still need the help of Willow and the bird.

Diesel will drown me in slober, my big goober dog (it will look like an accident.) Spanky will throw me a life saver at the last moment, being the hero. Because he still wants a bed warmer and food dished out on time, thank you very much! (They are so food driven.)

Just tell 'em he's an Am Bulldog and leave out the Cane Corso. Cane's are good dogs but people confuse them.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 PM

i told one woman today hes a rare giant spotted bully, she seemed quite happy with that answer lol.

I figure ill hear pitbull alot...im just hoping his love of people continues (corsi can be a little stranger danger) because if he can be an ambassador for rare giant spotted bullies id be incredibly happy :P

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,176,039 times
Nice story, foxy. I'd love to have seen him charming all the people, and especially scaring the mastiff. That must have been hilarious.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,984,771 times
Dozer is going to be such an awesome boy!!! Poor mastiff. LOL I wonder if that's part of the breed? I only owned the one and had one foster boy. He seemed to love everyone but my female was afraid of her own shadow. Then again she came from a horrid breeder and I had her way before I knew a thing about dogs so I just made it worse. They are a sensitive breed though. Every one I've ever met anywhere else have always been so sensitive to other's feelings.

We have the same problems here with the Frontline. Of course, because of the rescue I had bought it in bulk. Ugh! I"m down to the last tube which is like dosing them with water; what's the point? Our vet had us try the Comfortis a while back but half the chis had VIOLENT reactions to it. And yes, it was given on a full tummy. I thought I was going to lose little Belle from it. BAD!! Munchi and Princess were sick and lethargic for about 36 hours after dosing. BooBoo and Angus didn't seem to have any problems and it worked for the fleas for them and for the big dogs. But after such a bad reaction with the others I won't try it again for any of them. And like you said, when you've got lots of small dogs it really isn't cost effective. I only tried it because the vet donated it. He also donated Advantage Multi and it worked great for all of them. My cost will be a good bit more than yours with the zoo, but still a bargain since it contains a de-worming medication and heartworm preventative. On the other hand, with Frontline I only dosed when I needed. In the worst part of the year - summer months and after rain - I was dosing every three weeks. But when the weather cools I only needed it every couple months. Because this has the heartworm preventative as well, there is no every other month or every three months. It HAS to be monthly. Just part of the pros and cons. But at least no bad reactions.

My daughter's boxer / boston terrier mix gets confused for a pitbull. Probably because she's a brindle. Why do people think ALL brindle dogs are pitbulls?? She doesn't look a bit like a pittie to me.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

ive come to the conclusion that ANY dog with a boxy build, wrinkly face and wide chest is a pitbull...
ive yet to meet a "omg is that a pitbull" person who would actually know a pitbull if it DID come up and bite them lol.
i can understand confusing the likes of american bulldogs, staffies ect, they do have that similar look especially as puppies...but boxers and the like are such a popular and recognizable breed that youd thing...but nope...people are clueless lol.

you are very right, mastiff are increidbly sensitive...and from her posturing she was no excpetion...
they were asking me about house breaking, at 6 months old they were still having accidents and i asked them...do you raise your voice if she has an accident?! she goes, we did once and she whent into the corner and sulked...
unfortunatly she remmebers that, so i told them to pump her FULL of treats whenever she even looks like shes thinking about going potty outside and keep up with the persistence (they take her out every hour when there home) once she realizes potty outside is treats and praise time shell be more apt to go out there...there the kind of breed that needs a lot of positive motivation.

DOzers the same but more in a stubbborn way rather than a sensitive way.
if theres treats associated hes happy to oblige, he already knows sit and were working on paw (which hes getting things REALY quickly)...but recal is going to be interesting because smells and eating sticks is so rewarding too...

does the advantage multi protect against ticks as well?! thats definatly one id happily add to the list but tempi had advantage at one point and it kept the flead off but she was crawling in ticks! obviously i cant use advantix on the cats so was planning on doing advantage, but would like some tick protection too.

i use straight ivomec for heartworm protection a $40 bottle lasts forever but you have to buy 1cc insulin needled to dose anything under 25lbs accuratly lol
i need to prep higher value treats i think LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs