U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM

946 posts, read 2,512,702 times

Advertisements

Completely unexpectedly, yesterday, one of my two dogs went into lung failure and we had to make the decision to put her down. She was 13 years old, and she had been with us since she was born. She also had a male companion- her sibling from the same litter- for the same time, and I'm worried for him. He's very sick himself, but with her around, he was more lively...always following her around and up to her antics. They slept together and were never apart. Besides my own sadness and heartbreak over her loss, I'm feeling more pain for him. He doesn't know she won't be coming back. He's not as lively anymore because he was always following her around (she was the dominant one). He still eats, but that's pretty much it. I try to spoil him more, but there's not much I can do. Has anyone else gone through something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,428,918 times
I am very sorry for you. I've had 18 dogs in my life and the end is never easy. Since you only have the one remaining dog, I suspect the poor creature will take it very hard. If you see behavior changes, talk to your vet. The worst case I've ever had is when I had 2 dobermans who were very attached to one another, both being female. When one died, the other was devastated. Actually cried and eventually became aggressive and changed personality. Thank heavens for a good vet! We put the dog on anti-depressants and it helped tremendously. She took anti-depressants until she passed, years later. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,927,004 times
Yes, I have. Once I made the decision to have 2 dogs, there has been no turning back. The one who has been left, grieved, some to the point that they would not eat. So, I got them a new buddy, they took the new friend under their wings and life went on.

Right now I have 3 Shih Tzus, I normally have 2, however, my old guy is over 17 and blind & deaf, so, I know that his time is short lived. I found a little guy to adopt and did so to keep my 5 year old company. They are becoming friends and I am hopeful that when my old guy passes, they will grieve, yet be able to move forward with each other.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,026,647 times
I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy when you lose a friend and companion. I have to disagree, your other one (dog) does know...he knows you are in distress. He knows you left with her and returned without her. She's gone and he knows.

Our animals are much more sensitive than we give them credit for...When my female was so sick I had to put her down, I did not take my male. When I returned with her collar and leash...he knew. I was an emotional train wreck, he knew...and was there by my side. Yes, she was the dominate one of the two, she was older of the two but he knew...

...and so does yours.

We all grieve different, animals too. It is how we are wired. He will grieve her loss, they were together for 13 years. His pack is now different. Question is, will you be adding to the pack? (It's something you need to think on...) You aren't replacing her. (No animal could ever take her place. She was a one of a kind.) It's just something to think about...

You mentioned he's sick? Is he terminal? Do you think he might just give up? I know he's missing her, so you need to encourage him. Don't let him give up. I wish you and yours the best!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 AM

4,127 posts, read 4,761,053 times
I'm sorry...I wish you the best-your other dog will grieve. Dogs are smart and know's one member of the pack is missing. Again I'm sorry

Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Completely unexpectedly, yesterday, one of my two dogs went into lung failure and we had to make the decision to put her down. She was 13 years old, and she had been with us since she was born. She also had a male companion- her sibling from the same litter- for the same time, and I'm worried for him. He's very sick himself, but with her around, he was more lively...always following her around and up to her antics. They slept together and were never apart. Besides my own sadness and heartbreak over her loss, I'm feeling more pain for him. He doesn't know she won't be coming back. He's not as lively anymore because he was always following her around (she was the dominant one). He still eats, but that's pretty much it. I try to spoil him more, but there's not much I can do. Has anyone else gone through something similar?
I'm so sorry for the loss of your much-loved dog. It must be a shock to have to make that decision so suddenly. We recently had to have our wonderful 16 year-old Norwegian Elkhound mix put down, and our other dog--a 17 year-old terrier mix--has had a sad time without him. It pained me to see her wander around the house looking for him. For many dogs, this companionship is as important to them as it is to us.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 AM

946 posts, read 2,512,702 times
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. It's hard for me to come home and not have her run up to greet me. It's hard to see an empty spot beside my other dog's bed. It's so hard to not see her anymore .
As for him, he is very sick, he has a number of ailments that he's taking medication for. We always thought he would be the first to leave. Her death was so unexpected, she was always very active and besides some minor symptoms, she was overall very happy and lively. We never thought she'd be gone before him. He barely moves from his bed now...he just sits there all the time until I pretty much force him to get up and go outside. I'm so sad for him, but I try not to show it (I also believe dogs can perceive this.). I have a feeling he's going to go soon too because he's been suffering for a while from his ailments...and we might have to put him down too. Maybe it's the best for him...he won't be suffering anymore and on top of that missing his companion.
My mother was right when she said it's so difficult to have a dog because when they leave it's just so painful...something that we don't want to go through again.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. It's hard for me to come home and not have her run up to greet me. It's hard to see an empty spot beside my other dog's bed. It's so hard to not see her anymore .
As for him, he is very sick, he has a number of ailments that he's taking medication for. We always thought he would be the first to leave. Her death was so unexpected, she was always very active and besides some minor symptoms, she was overall very happy and lively. We never thought she'd be gone before him. He barely moves from his bed now...he just sits there all the time until I pretty much force him to get up and go outside. I'm so sad for him, but I try not to show it (I also believe dogs can perceive this.). I have a feeling he's going to go soon too because he's been suffering for a while from his ailments...and we might have to put him down too. Maybe it's the best for him...he won't be suffering anymore and on top of that missing his companion.
My mother was right when she said it's so difficult to have a dog because when they leave it's just so painful...something that we don't want to go through again.
I am so sorry you are hurting....yes it is hard.

Caring is just hard at times.

I have a friend with a big bird that will likely out live her.

That is just as hard have to make those decisions.

The winning part is the enjoyment our pets give us at the time.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Quote:
If he's suffering and there's no chance he will ever recover, then yes, it may be best to let him go. However, if you think his suffering is over the loss of the other dog, do your best to encourage him to continue.

While I understand not wanting to go through the pain again - I've been in those shoes way too many times - you'll probably find that an empty house is even more painful. While no dog will ever replace another, you'll find love in your heart for others. And with four million plus a year dying in shelters alone due over population, there are certainly many out there that would love to be part of your family, and forever be grateful to you. Give yourself time to grieve if you need it. And then consider adopting a new - or two - dogs to share your life and love with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs