U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 AM

748 posts, read 1,013,202 times

Advertisements

Our 2 year old English Bull Terrier, has had 2 "episodes", where, while on a walk he stops and start wretching for 10-20 seconds then vomits bile, then staggers and falls down as if he's fainted. It takes him about a minute to recover (this could be shorter, since I'm in a panic, petting him and comforting him - thinking that he's dieing on me), and he gets up ready to continue his walk as if nothing has happened.

I'm wondering if the wretching is just making him lose oxygen to his brain causing him to faint. He has only done this twice in the 10 months that we have owned him, and has no other type of seizures or fainting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 AM

178 posts, read 150,104 times
Of course he should be checked out by a Vet to see what's going on.....My son and his wife once had a elderly Shih tzu who would have seizures. The symptoms sound similar to your dog...Anyway the dog lived many years and it only happened occasionally....I don't remember in their case if they ever found out what caused it.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 AM

8,162 posts, read 16,899,292 times
VET Trip ASAP!! This could also be an obstruction! Vomiting brings it Up or shifts it Lack of air causing fainting!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM

178 posts, read 150,104 times
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Graves.html

Check this out!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM

6,114 posts, read 9,058,571 times
1: is the dog walked on a choke chain, pring, slip, martingale or any other type of "closing" collar?
2:if not is the dog walked on a flat collar or aharness...

bull terriers are notorious tuggers but tend to have relitivly delicate trecheas, even sligth contasnt pulling can put enough pressure on the trechea to cause damage.
(theres a reason you see bully breeds typically in those heavy leather harnesses, they wernt origioanlly ust for show/weight pull)

have his throat checked...and if walking him via collar, switch to a good wide chested harness that sits on the breast bone.
Teaching good leash manners would also help in this senario

possiblitly #2 is potentially a patial blockage, not nessicarily an item but instead possibly an elongated soft pallet...
while it could be a physicla blockage lower down, twice in 10 months seems a little few and far between for a phycial blockage (even a mild one) so i doubt its this.

possibility #3 weather related? has it been unusually warm on the days where these fainting spells happen? bull terriers can be sensitive to heat

possibility #4 somekind of seizure disorder....
NOT NESSICARILY EPILEPSY...
now this option SOUNDS like omg noooo, but honeslty (as an epileptic) its actually not a bad diagnosis...
given how infrequent his episodes ar, and how mild, its not something i (or most vets) would want to medicate for (anti seizure drugs can cause more probelms than they cure so are typiclaly only nessicary in cases of FREQUENT regular sezure activity (a couple of times a week)
in your case (once ever 5 mnths or so) it just wouldnt be worth it, expecially since he shows no real signs of disress afterwards.
if this is a seizure disorder i can tell you from preson expeirence,,,its scarier for you than it is for him!
generally a seizure is aurod by a feeling (in his case nausea...) then the world pretty much turns out the lights for what feels like a mini second, and its done...deending on the severity you sometimes feel disorientated, tired, achey ect, but in his case he hops back up and goes on with life like nothieng happend...
To YOU its 5 mins of shere panic horror and heart ache...to him is 5 seconds of "hey human whats wrong?!" (and your right that 2 minutes was probably closer to about 1 lol)

seizure disoreders can be caused by any number of things and generally keeping a daily journal is the best way to see if this is caused by some kind of trigger...
triggers can be anything from smells (mabe a certain flower is in bloom?) to allergies (pollen mabe?) to light patterns (the way the sun is shining through the trees can cause a strobe effect) ect...keep notes, and on days where he has an episode think back to see what you encounterd, what he ate, (apitite can be effected the morning before an episode) ect...see if theres any connections between...

theres a couple of things id do right now...
1: make sur eyour walking him on a harness...(a harness is no excuse for bad leash manners either lol)
2: have the vet check his throat, pay particular attention to the soft palet and the threchea
3: have the vet run a FULL blood pannel
4: get his heart checked...even just a good listeing too under a stethoscope for a murmer...

if all those come back clear, unless this starts hapending more frequently id say its a seizure disorder and keep track in a daily journal.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 AM

748 posts, read 1,013,202 times
Yes, we use a choke to walk him, and he's definately not a tugger (he has trouble keeping up when we walk him). I do have a harness for him, which I will start using again. A collar is useless since it just pulls over his head if he decides to stop.

I do not think it is seizue since there is no trembling. He wretches, vomits then staggers and falls down. It hasn't been weather related because the first episode happened when it was quite warm in summer, and this last one in fall when the temps were cool. The only thing that was the same was that he was walked before being fed. So maybe he was hungry?

He has thrown up a couple of times since we rescued him. One night on his way to bed he did a quick cough and a couple of chunks of food came up, and he kept walking to get to his bed. It was kind of funny.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM

741 posts, read 603,411 times
One of my small dogs has a collapsing trachea.. this causes him to occassionally lose oxygen, fall over, and pee and sometimes puke....this happens when he gets too excited..There is nothing that we can do at this stage besides a 3,500 surgery which we can't afford..and he is ok as long as he doesn't ever get too excited..and we do baby him! This happened from a collar/leash which he has never worn one again..and now I promote harnasses to new dog owners..

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM

21,829 posts, read 17,038,627 times
Angel vomited what looked like bile once.

She has been on thyroid meds ever since and doing fine.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM

6,267 posts, read 5,341,803 times
It's odd that you say a 2 year old dog has trouble keeping up with you when you walk. Do you just mean he wants to stop and sniff a lot?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:12 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,058,571 times
i agree, some clarification on the "not keeping up" is it simply bully stubbornes "i dont want to walk fast" or is he getting out of breath/tired realy easily?!

as a side note, seizures do NOt always cause trembling...
im epileptic and have whats called feezes, no trmbing no shaking, no nothing, there absnece sezirues, my body simply "locks up" and things go black.
grand-mals are what most people think of when they think seizures/epilepsy, shaking twitching violent thrashing...but the fct of the matter is most seizures are NOTHING like that, they can cary from someone simply looking like they are dayreaming (me...it realy does look like im just staring off into space for mot seizures sometimes my index fingers might twitch or move but otherwise...)
to a twitchy eye, to "passing out" to mild muscle twitches to full blown shaking...ive known some seizures simply look like a dog is shivering, others youd have no clue the dog wasnt just asleep...they vary soooo much that the only way to know is to keep track of the and see if theres some kind of pattern...

the only 3 thigns that come to mind as i said above, throat/trechea problems (anything from damag/collaps to something lodged), heart issue or seizures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs