U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,560,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I adore wire haired fox terriers. They are so gorgeous and packed with personality.

However, they are not a little stubborn and that is not a little attitude.
There is a reason we call them "terrors".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,394,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
There is a reason we call them "terrors".

I own a Jack Russell mix and a Mini Foxie pup, both rescues.. Terror is exactly what they are. And...funny. Holy cow do they ever make me laugh.

Last edited by carterstamp; 04-28-2015 at 05:14 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,530,030 times
My educated opinion is DO NOT GET A WHT!!!! Maybe a couple out of a hundred make good pets. If you like that basic look and body type I recommend a miniature Schnauzer. As a breeder of Standard Poodles myself I can tell you that there are few consumers as clueless as your average puppy buyer. Don't be that guy! You want your dog ownership to be a great experience with an animal that bring you happiness and joy, not headaches, heartaches and major expenses. Whatever breed you decide upon, DO YOUR HOMEWORK thoroughly. Check the bloodlines of the parents. You want a pup that comes from the "Royalty" of the breed. Insist on seeing the results of all of the tests the parent dogs have had done. Get references of other owners of dogs from the same lines and talk to them about there experiences with their dog. The time to do this is BEFORE you get a pup. That seems obvious but is seldom done. That is why the breed rescues are full of unwanted and rejected dogs.
On my puppy contract I have a clause that the owner of the pet is not to rehome or dispose of this animal EVER without my permission and that I will always take the dog back for whatever reason.

I'm presently boarding two West Highland Terriers. What incredible little dogs they are. Tough, smart, biddable and very pleasant characters. There4 is such a difference between breeds. The other little Scottish terrier, the "Scottie" is usually the dog from hell. Vicious, stubborn and hates other dogs and most people.

Last edited by lucknow; 04-28-2015 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 AM

14,564 posts, read 8,394,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Anyone have an info on this breed?

I think they're so freaking cute but I don't hear much about them.

But any thoughts?

Should I forget the WFT and get the Golden? Get one then the other later if I want? I really want a water dog and I like both of these breeds.

The WFT is a water dog, compact enough to where I could pick it up but not purse or backpack size and I like that they have protective instincts. I know I need to get gun certified with a Golden because they're just too friendly.

I want something friendly and personable yet read to take a bite out of a butt if there's a threat. I think the Wire Fox Terrier is a good example of that from what I know but I don't know of anyone who has one, knows of someone with one have ever heard of someone with one.
I'm not really sure why you're trying to decide between a WFT and a Golden, especially on the size front. Goldens are nearly 3 times the size of WFTs I am not a terrier person myself. My mother had Scotties and Westies, and I found the feisty, barky terrier temperament annoying. But they are loyal and good watchdogs and ratters for sure. If you're looking for a protective water dog that is Golden Retriever sized, I'd recommend a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. They are fantastic dogs, lower energy than terriers (but they still need regular exercise), have a very water resistant coat, about 60 pounds full grown, easy to train, and have a friendly, even temperament toward their families. I had one as a child, and I'm a big fan. If I didn't have Great Danes, I'd get another Chessie. (Photo courtesy of George Makatura-Wikipedia).
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about getting a Wire Fox Terrier-chessie-george-makatura.jpg  

Old 04-28-2015, 04:17 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,558,815 times
Can't add anything to what's been posted about WFT except to echo they are NOT a dog for a novice owner. Also I'm not sure what you mean by a "water dog" but not all goldens will like to swim. It will really depend on the individual dog.

Some goldens are more laid back than others. Your golden may go with the flow but the WFT may have issues with the golden, even if the golden is doing nothing to provoke it. I think this will be a bigger risk if you get two of the same sex.

I have German Shepherds and I don't think you can say that because a golden will probably get along with a GSD, it should be fine with a WFT. IMO WFT and GSDs are nothing alike. GSDs are relatively easy to train and want to please the owner. Neither of those things are generally true for a WFT (or any terrier). It's not what terriers were bred for.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 520 times
Hi,
We are very serious about getting a WFT puppy and dedicated to his development(obedient classes, walks, special food, vets).
We have outdoor area in our house and will prep it for the winter months outdoor time. Our main concern is: we have a 4-story home with open stairs, 3 "floating" staircases may be dangerous for a small dog like WFT and we are worried it may slip through the opening. That devastates us, and it's a major concern. If anyone has advice or has similar situation, we would appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Leeza and Mike.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,560,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeezaMak1 View Post
Hi,
We are very serious about getting a WFT puppy and dedicated to his development(obedient classes, walks, special food, vets).
We have outdoor area in our house and will prep it for the winter months outdoor time. Our main concern is: we have a 4-story home with open stairs, 3 "floating" staircases may be dangerous for a small dog like WFT and we are worried it may slip through the opening. That devastates us, and it's a major concern. If anyone has advice or has similar situation, we would appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Leeza and Mike.
Those floating staircases may be dangerous for any size dog. Hard to say without pics.

I'd be gating that staircase bottom. There are some beautiful gates available or you can have one custom made. The key is to make sure everyone is *consistent* about closing the gate. And to enable your puppy/dog to sleep in a family member's bedroom. If your bedrooms are all upstairs that would be a management issue...get the puppy/dog safely up the stairs and gate the top of the stairs when the puppy is old enough to spend the night uncrated.

We have a cabin with an open log staircase to the loft and we gate the staircase bottom to prevent our full-size and Mini Aussies from using the stairs. Our bedroom is on the first floor so the loft is used only for guests.

Hopefully others will chime in with ideas. Perhaps you should start a new thread since this one is strictly about WFT?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 4,148 times
Default Floating stairs and a wire fox terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeezaMak1 View Post
Hi,
Thank you,
Leeza and Mike.
Dear Leeza and Mike.
Some thoughts about your concerns---

Keep in mind that wires move FAST -- really fast! It is a part of their energy level and being a part of the action! ... Hardwood flooring and especially hardwood stairs, in my opinion, are likely to cause lots of slips and falls. Again (noting what I said in my earlier posts about WFT), wires have a strong hunting 'urge' and chasing toys and rough play adds a real thrill to their day! But this also translates into running up and down stairs quickly and jumping from four (or more) steps up to the landing below. I fear that an open stair set up is likely to be a hazard for an energetic wire. I agree that gates can work but inquisitive wires who want to be in on the action may try to top a fence. I am sure that firm, consistent training is needed but may not overcome a wire's strong minded and inquistive nature. When I put up the gate to keep our current wire in the kitchen, training has resulted in her not even attempting to cross it even when it is not entirely closed. This though was not the case with one of her three predecessors.

As much as I really adore the breed and your work in preparing to welcome one, your home's stairs might not work with a wire.

Sorry for the 'downer' reply, pam

Old 08-25-2015, 03:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,062,839 times
Typical dogs that most Americans get (Labs, Goldens, ___oodles, etc) = 170 cm skis.

Terriers = 215 cm skis.

Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs