U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 AM

26,314 posts, read 24,409,203 times

Advertisements

Hi, my bichon is getting cysts all over the place. They start out small, get large, then the vet must remove them, b/c he itches them and they start to fester. It's 300.00 a pop to get them removed and he also has to be put under. He is a rescue, so I'm guessing he is approximately 10 - 12 years old.

Everyone I speak to, groomer, vet, etc, say, it's what happens when they get older....however, it just strikes me as weird, that perhaps he is lacking something.

Did some research, and NuVet Plus claims to help this problem?

Anyone have any similar problems?

Would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
what food is he eating...
most cysts are benign and typically do not itch...
ive also never herd of "removing" cysts, lancing yes, but not removing them as there not growths, there simply poskets of puss. lancing is typically done while the animal is awake (especially in a senior dog -who shouldnt be put under unless absolutly nessicary
typically the only tie cysts are removed surgically is if they dont respond to other treatment (ie they lance and it come back, or often theyll give cortisone shots...if they dont work then they go in and dig to remove the "core"

itchy welts/cysts usually indiacte some kind of allergic reaction of clogged pores
and both these can easily caused by less than quality food (corn and soy based primarily)

without knowing the exact name of the type of cysts your vet thinks they are its dfficult (lots of things can cause red bumps)
the fact that their itchy though indicates either an allergy or something is clogging the pour or the folicle (ingrown hair for example)

personally i think id be getting a second opinion from a new vet...something doesnt "seem" right about this, but i also havent seen the dog, or know what the official diagnosis is so its difficult realy to help.

age/liver spots, fatty growths ect those are fairly normal for aging dogs...these benign things dont bother the dog, cause itching/sores ect...

but ITCHY red welts/cysts are not anythign id consider "normal"

Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM

5,850 posts, read 8,788,065 times
This happened to my shih tzu as she got older. She has a very problematic one on her back - at least it seemed problematic, but vets never removed it. Is your dog licking them and then they get inflamed? That could be why. Maybe get a second opinion?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Thank you
I'm going to a different vet to get her opinion.

He's got one on his head now, next to his ear...they start out little and grow bigger. When he itches his body, or ears, sometimes he opens them up....

I feed him Taste of the Wild.

thanks so much for your feed back.

I read this, came across it this morning, what do you think?

http://www.mydogshealthnow.com/cance...FciC5Qod8y75Nw

Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
This happened to my shih tzu as she got older. She has a very problematic one on her back - at least it seemed problematic, but vets never removed it. Is your dog licking them and then they get inflamed? That could be why. Maybe get a second opinion?
No, he doesn't lick them, actually what happens is, while itching, occassionally, he nicks one, then it becomes a problem.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 AM

never heard of nuvet, looking at the ingredients list its yet another general mulitvit...

if your feeding taste of the wild...its a great food so the likleyhood of him "missing" something in his diet doesnt seem right unless theres something else going on internally.

when he nicks them are they pus filled or do they bleed?! cysts will have puss...
if theres blood however its more of a tumorish growth (not usually cancer) and those are very common in older dogs (especially those who didnt get off to a good start)...

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
never heard of nuvet, looking at the ingredients list its yet another general mulitvit...

if your feeding taste of the wild...its a great food so the likleyhood of him "missing" something in his diet doesnt seem right unless theres something else going on internally.

when he nicks them are they pus filled or do they bleed?! cysts will have puss...
if theres blood however its more of a tumorish growth (not usually cancer) and those are very common in older dogs (especially those who didnt get off to a good start)...
They are *****, and believe me, this happens, perhaps once a year...I've already had one removed...and like I said, it cost 300.00 plus they had to test him before they put him under.

I've heard many other people talk about these cysts they're dogs get when they get older...and even my groomer explained to me, it's something that just happens...however, his grow...and get bigger? Then if they are at a place where his nails can reach them, if he itches, he scrapes them open. The last one kept healing, then he's scratch, it would get infected, then antibiotics, and the vet said, it should come off. But 300.00 plus seems like a whole lot of money to take a cyst off.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM

agreed,
$300 is rather high, ive never heard of surgically removing puss filled cycsts unless draining and cortisol doesnt work first...

id get that second opinion and see what the next vet things, while small cysts can be common in the seniors, if there filling to the point that they grow and become "explosive" (opening if he scratches) there might be something immuno going on, have a full blood pannel done to rule out underliying infections and immunodeficiences...
I havent tried nu-vet so cant realy give an opinion on it..theres nothign bad in it, but you might want to watch some of the vits...
it take the info and the ingredient list to the vet as well and see if anything "not right" sticks out for her...
if theres nothing that could cause an OD problem on the vitamins it certainly couldnt hurt (and i have heard great things about blue-green algea as a supliment on its own) but id definatly want to make sure to rule out any underlying potential issues first.

also when this bag of food is almost empty it might be worth trying him on the same brand but a different protein source...if hes on chicken, might be worth trying lamb ect.
some dogs become sensitive to certain protein sources (more likely what the protein source was fed while it was alive) and chicken seems to be a big offender on that line up...

Hes certinaly a lucky ole guy to have someone who cares for him as muhc as you obviously do

Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
agreed,
$300 is rather high, ive never heard of surgically removing puss filled cycsts unless draining and cortisol doesnt work first...

id get that second opinion and see what the next vet things, while small cysts can be common in the seniors, if there filling to the point that they grow and become "explosive" (opening if he scratches) there might be something immuno going on, have a full blood pannel done to rule out underliying infections and immunodeficiences...
I havent tried nu-vet so cant realy give an opinion on it..theres nothign bad in it, but you might want to watch some of the vits...
it take the info and the ingredient list to the vet as well and see if anything "not right" sticks out for her...
if theres nothing that could cause an OD problem on the vitamins it certainly couldnt hurt (and i have heard great things about blue-green algea as a supliment on its own) but id definatly want to make sure to rule out any underlying potential issues first.

also when this bag of food is almost empty it might be worth trying him on the same brand but a different protein source...if hes on chicken, might be worth trying lamb ect.
some dogs become sensitive to certain protein sources (more likely what the protein source was fed while it was alive) and chicken seems to be a big offender on that line up...

Hes certinaly a lucky ole guy to have someone who cares for him as muhc as you obviously do
awwww, thanks so much, yes indeed, he is a love...
in my last post to you, I wrote puss filled cysts, however, it stared out the letters, don't know why.

I had him on Salmon, Taste of the wild, but it made his breath smell awful, however, I might do what you suggested and also speak with the vet in depth about this when we go.

He's a special needs dog, as he was terribly abused, and when I adopted him, it took a long time for him to acclimate, but now he feels at home and trusts me and our neighbors. He loves people and is very friendly, and extremely patient...more so then any dog I've ever owned...

So it took me many groomers to find a good one...but walla, the one I found rescues older dogs, and she is the first that he likes...and doesn't shake. She told me, no one likes to rescue older dogs, I have room for seven, so I give them a quality of life for as long as they have.

So when we go, she stoops down to him, loves him, pats him, talks to him, (even though he's deaf) and then she lifts him up...she says he is no problem. I've seen him go balistic on some groomers as he hates restriction and aggresiveness...but he really trusts her.

Most groomers today, are zip zip, next, zip, zip, next...and not patient with they're customers...I had one groomer tell me, my dog was a mess to work with...(Well I wonder why) But it was really difficult finding a good fit for him...thankfully, I kept searching.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM

hes definatly a luky boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs