U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,767,925 times

Advertisements

We have just moved to a house that we will only be in for a year, so I am looking for an inexpensive way to cover a sandy area in the back yard that is used as a litter box by a couple of neighboring cats, as my dog eats the poop.

It's an area about 10X 20 feet. My first thought is mulch. Is there a better option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,723,350 times
how about fake grass?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 AM

I just found some on the Costco site and it is pricey. The ground is all sand or I would get sod.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 AM

12,392 posts, read 31,369,596 times
Patio Brick Turn it into a cooking/picnic area

Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,894,557 times
Just throw down a tarp and weigh it down with bricks.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,178,699 times
The cats may use mulch just like they do the sand. Tarp is waterproofed so you'll get standing puddles. Stall mats are another option. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM

i think the question then becomes
1: will the dogs be using this area for potty/playtime or is it offlimits/just to keep the cats from continuing to use it as a litterbox?

2: if your renting does the landlord have any probelms with you modifying this area.

if this area ispotentially going to end up as a dog play/potty area id probably go with a rounded pea gravel good for drainge will keep the cats out and is eaisly scooped with a rake style scoop. not expensive and as long as its not sharp type gravel the dogs feet wont compline either lol.

mulch is anothe rpossibility, but watch out for cedar basd mulches and cocoa bark based mulches, both of which can be quuite bad if consumed by the dogs, you also have to watch out or potential splinters with some mulches, id probably go with a playground rather than garden mulch if taking this option.
pavers would also work but might be a little more costly.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:01 PM

12,392 posts, read 31,369,596 times
IF you go with Brick or Pavers Look for them on Freecycle!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM

First of all- thank you, everyone, for the great ideas. I have my homework to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i think the question then becomes
1: will the dogs be using this area for potty/playtime or is it offlimits/just to keep the cats from continuing to use it as a litterbox?

2: if your renting does the landlord have any probelms with you modifying this area.

if this area ispotentially going to end up as a dog play/potty area id probably go with a rounded pea gravel good for drainge will keep the cats out and is eaisly scooped with a rake style scoop. not expensive and as long as its not sharp type gravel the dogs feet wont compline either lol.

mulch is anothe rpossibility, but watch out for cedar basd mulches and cocoa bark based mulches, both of which can be quuite bad if consumed by the dogs, you also have to watch out or potential splinters with some mulches, id probably go with a playground rather than garden mulch if taking this option.
pavers would also work but might be a little more costly.
To answer your questions, Foxy-

The back yard is huge, so the dogs won't need this area. I am only using it for my trash toter and recycle bins there.

The landlord won't care, as he intends to tear it down and build a McMansion in a year, which is why I couldn't get a longer lease.

I am tapped out financially right now. The move was unexpected and I am concerned about getting my deposit (2k) back from the former LL, as she has just lost her personal home to FC. I left the place in perfect condition and she said I would get it back next week, but I just have a gut feeling that I will need to take her to small claims court, BC she has no money. I think that will cost about $500 and if she has no money...... I need curtain rods for every darn window and don't want to sink any money into the place. The yard is terrible, but when I took the place, I figured I could fix up the front yard and leave the back, BC it has a privacy fence, so the neighbors won't have to see it. It's an older house that was vacant for a couple of years, so there are things inside I want to do just to make it livable.

LOL- gosh, after reading that, I guess cat poop should be the least of my problems!

Once I find the box that has my camera, I'll have take before and after pix.

Thank you again, everyone.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM

in that case id be watching craigslist closely for ANY free mateirals you can find and just use that... might even be worth simply fencing that area off with a cheap roll of fencing and some metal t-posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs