Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,295,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
WoW.. They have included a lot of dogs. Almost any large dog will be PTS if picked up by animal control

North Carolina ban to kill numerous breeds - National American Pit Bull | Examiner.com
*sigh* I had a feling this would happen. And to think, there are tons of people who had no issues w/ BSL geared towards pit bulls and rotties b/c they didn't own a pit or a rottie. Now BSLs have expanded to include so many other breeds that it will be hard for even these people to keep silent. there are so many shepherds and shepherd mixes, husky and husky mixes, Great Danes and Dane mixes, that this BSL will have some serious consequences.

There are almost 4,000 husky and husky mixes in North Carolina on Petfinder:
Pet Search Results: Adoptable Husky Dog Pets in Randleman, NC: Petfinder

there are almost 2,000 Great dane and Great Dan mixes
Pet Search Results: Adoptable great dane Dog Pets in Lexington, NC: Petfinder

almost 8,000 German Shepherd and GSD mixes
Pet Search Results: Adoptable German Shepherd Dog Dog Pets in Staley, NC: Petfinder

from these three breeds alone, if this became a state-wide BSL, nearly 14,000 dogs would be put to death in a few days time. Just from those 3 breeds, never mind the countless pit bull mixes, rotties, etc. ghastly

If people didn't speak up against BSLs before because they didn't like/own pit bulls, rottweilers, mastiffs, or breeds typically targeted by BSLs, NOW is definitely the time to speak up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times
The irony of this is that this is where Fort Bragg is located and we all know the military uses only large dogs like GSD to help our soldiers.

Still the ban was only discussed today and there are real issues about how many dogs can be helped. If only people would be responsible and neuter their pets maybe things would not be so drastic.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,613,424 times
The irony of this is that there was no actual proposal to implement this. One (only one) of the Animal Control Board members felt that due to liability the County and Animal Control have been facing over prior incidents with large breed dogs that were adopted, that that board memebr felt it would nbe best of those breeds were banned from adoption. So far, no other Board member has signed on to this. But even if the AC Board put it forward, it would require the full county commissioners to approve it and none of them feel its good.

Ironically the person getting the most flack including DEATH THREATS is the head of Animal Control who actually is opposed to this and has offered tighter screening of the animals and those trying to adopt as a way to weed out the problems. Unfortunetely, A/C staff has had to spend time and effort dealing with this instead of caring for the animals. The good news is that because of the confusion, more people are asking about adopting these large breeds.

The only part that A?C seems to have in this is their reporting an increase in bites and attacks from people who adopted larger breed dogs dut to their inability to properly screen because of budget cuts that has basically turned them into a death row prison.

They do have the ability to accept donations so I'll just reserve judgement of the animal control itself and donate some money to the animals at that shelter.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Hopefully the billl won't be passed. North Carolina residents should be calling their state representatives to put pressure on them to vote against the bill.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,545,569 times
Proposal dropped, thankfully!

FayObserver.com - Bully breed proposal dropped; Cumberland board urges better vetting of dog owners

Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,349,811 times
Good news!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,349,811 times
This a/c was going to be euthanizing many large breed dogs in part because they were coming back after adoption so much. This got me thinking about the video I posted, pit bull attacks news anchor. These 2 dogs are like so many of the dogs in shelters. They're about a year old, physically grown but very high energy and with a lot of puppy behaviors no one bothered to train out of them. The pitty jumps all over the news anchor to give kisses. The shepherd mix jumps and playbites like a puppy. They're funny and adorable-and exhausting to live with until they can be taught better manners. If someone had bothered to teach them anything when they were 10 or 20 pounds, they wouldn't have wound up with a large dogs they decided were uncontrollable. Then someone adopts them, and I'm sure a/c says, you know these dogs should get training. They need some work! And someone says, oh I know. And takes them home, and turns around and brings them back the first time their excited play knocks one of their kids over. There is plenty of blame to go around here.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,774,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Vetting of dog owners.... Yup, I'd certainly love to see that happen.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,952,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This a/c was going to be euthanizing many large breed dogs in part because they were coming back after adoption so much. This got me thinking about the video I posted, pit bull attacks news anchor. These 2 dogs are like so many of the dogs in shelters. They're about a year old, physically grown but very high energy and with a lot of puppy behaviors no one bothered to train out of them. The pitty jumps all over the news anchor to give kisses. The shepherd mix jumps and playbites like a puppy. They're funny and adorable-and exhausting to live with until they can be taught better manners. If someone had bothered to teach them anything when they were 10 or 20 pounds, they wouldn't have wound up with a large dogs they decided were uncontrollable. Then someone adopts them, and I'm sure a/c says, you know these dogs should get training. They need some work! And someone says, oh I know. And takes them home, and turns around and brings them back the first time their excited play knocks one of their kids over. There is plenty of blame to go around here.

yep yep yep .... every single word true.....

reps owed once the rep fairy frees my wand.....

Old 12-07-2011, 03:21 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,781,634 times
That's just sickening! I'm not going to discount the danger that aggressive dogs place on people, but the fact that people can continue to blame this on entire breeds is amazing. It depends on how dogs are raised, not what breed they are. Pitbulls are illegal where I live and it's stupid. My great-grandfather raised pitbulls and they never once attacked anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs