U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
.........and there's the rub.
How many people have said "My dog doesn't bite." and been wrong! Also, everyone has a different view of what "well-behaved" actually means. I have taught my son and take my own advice not to pet strange dogs. The difference between a dog that is not well-behaved and a child that is not well-behaved can be a matter of life and death. I would expect anyone that is walking their dog in the mall to keep to one side and not voluntarily go out of their way to greet people who may have dog phobias which many people do have especially with large dogs and to carry adequate liability protection to cover the "what if". I love dogs and have always had them but as with everything in life, there is an appropriate time and place for everything. At 6 1/2 years old and being chow/shepherd, she has never bitten anyone but when people ask if my dog bites, I always tell them "she could".

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM

21,715 posts, read 21,605,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
How many people have said "My dog doesn't bite." and been wrong! Also, everyone has a different view of what "well-behaved" actually means. I have taught my son and take my own advice not to pet strange dogs. The difference between a dog that is not well-behaved and a child that is not well-behaved can be a matter of life and death. I would expect anyone that is walking their dog in the mall to keep to one side and not voluntarily go out of their way to greet people who may have dog phobias which many people do have especially with large dogs and to carry adequate liability protection to cover the "what if". I love dogs and have always had them but as with everything in life, there is an appropriate time and place for everything. At 6 1/2 years old and being chow/shepherd, she has never bitten anyone but when people ask if my dog bites, I always tell them "she could".

I have taken my pitts to outdoor flea markets but never indoor areas, tho it wouldnt bother me if others did.

Although my dogs have never bitten anyone and I do trust them not to under normal circumstances, when anyone asked me if my dog bites, I tell them if it has teeth it can bite.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,138,283 times
Dogs allowed in a mall? I have never heard of such a thing.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM

710 posts, read 1,322,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's just another way for humans and their dogs to interact, socialize, and get some exercise, especially when the weather doesn't allow outdoor walking. My dog LOVES to run errands with me, and gets very excited when I take him into a dog-friendly establishment... it's even better than a dog park to him, since he prefers humans/children over other pooches. He stays leashed and by my side the whole time, simply following along and occasionally stopping to let dog lovers & children pet him. I do this most frequently during inclement weather, since Rudy NEEDS a daily walk or he drives me crazy. So if it's pouring rain for 2-3 days straight, sometimes that's my only option!

Why not? As long as they're well-behaved and leashed, some store owners are glad to welcome a dog into their store... I could say the same for human children, ya know.

How is a mall any different from walking your dog down a busy street? You WILL encounter dogs in public, whether you're in a mall or outside, so this comment is kind of a moot point... just have to trust the owner knows their dog, and uses proper restraints around other people. I trust my dog completely around people of all ages (in 6 years he's never given me a reason to feel otherwise), but I still keep him on a short leash in public - mostly for the sake of people who don't like dogs, so they won't get scared or offended.

......WOW.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
......WOW.
Wow what? Care to elaborate, or are you just going to judge rudely without explaining why?

FYI, I've never taken my dog to an actual MALL - I was referring to dog-friendly shops... and around here, dogs are commonly brought inside certain places.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM

11,051 posts, read 12,398,038 times
You walk your dog in a Mall? That's just goofy. Take the thing to the park.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Dogs allowed in a mall? I have never heard of such a thing.
It's very common here in the Bay Area, at least with the little dogs... Californians have a different attitude towards dogs, I suppose, and see them more as family members than wild animals.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yes, and that's why my dog is always on a short leash in public - and I don't let him approach anyone uninvited! He's never bitten anyone in the 6 years I've had him, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

P.S. I often say the same as what you wrote above, when people ask if my snakes bite. WILL they bite you? Probably not. CAN they bite? Absolutely. In regards to my dog, I usually just say "he's friendly" and let people decide on their own if they want to approach us. Despite what my comments here might lead you to believe, generally the only indoor establishment where I take Rudy is the pet shop - and anyone who is offended by dogs in there is kind of a moron, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-09-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
Other people concern me much more than any dog ever could.

So, no.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM

12,870 posts, read 15,352,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I frequently walk my large German Shephed dog in the mall mostly to the delight of other people, but, on occasion people seem concerned as if I'm doing something wrong Why on earth would anybody think this is a problem? We both need to get out and get excercise on a regular basis and do some errands. Many children love to pet my dog as well so it is nice for little kids as well.
I think if you want interaction between people and your dog you should go to a park...I'd be concerned to see your dog in the mall....especially for my grandchildren...I don't know you, and I don't know your dog....So many children get seriously bit every year by people who almost always say "My dogs never done anything like that before"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or