U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,203,808 times

Advertisements

I frequently walk my large German Shephed dog in the mall mostly to the delight of other people, but, on occasion people seem concerned as if I'm doing something wrong Why on earth would anybody think this is a problem? We both need to get out and get excercise on a regular basis and do some errands. Many children love to pet my dog as well so it is nice for little kids as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,189,484 times
No, but I've probably got a Glock 27 strapped to my hip under my jacket as I walk by you and your dog.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I frequently walk my large German Shephed dog in the mall mostly to the delight of other people, but, on occasion people seem concerned as if I'm doing something wrong Why on earth would anybody think this is a problem? We both need to get out and get excercise on a regular basis and do some errands. Many children love to pet my dog as well so it is nice for little kids as well.
You will and probably 90% of dog owners will but some dog owners will not clean up after their dogs and a mall is a place nobody wants a dog mess.

I am always a little nervous if a small kid gets up close to a dog's face. Not enough time to react if that dog freaks out and takes a chomp of the kid's face.

But otherwise, it doesn't bug me.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Dont public areas, such as malls, have rules against dogs?
Obviously, service dogs dont count.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,632,971 times
Why would anyone want to walk their non-service dog in a mall?
Why would anyone, that operates and/or owns a mall, allow someone to walk their non-service dog in the mall?
I like dogs, but to me, that is not the place for them to be. Yea, your dog may be well behaved, but you don't know what someone will do.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont public areas, such as malls, have rules against dogs?
Private businesses make their own policies, thus some do & some don't allow them. Around here most department stores/malls allow small (purse-sized) dogs, which kinda bugs me as a larger dog owner... especially considering those Chihuahuas and Pomeranians are more likely to bite than my friendly 40lb mutt. But again, it all depends on the individual stores - for instance our local Best Buy is very dog-friendly, and welcomes leashed well-behaved dogs of any size. Last time I took Rudy there he made friends with these 1yo twin girls, who were just hysterically laughing at his tricks. Rudy thought they were pretty funny too, LOL.

P.S. Regarding the poop issue, only a complete buffoon would leave a dog turd laying on the floor in a mall... I might forgive neglecting one in a park, but indoors?? Yuck!! Thankfully my dog is 100% potty trained (almost to a fault), and hasn't gone anywhere inappropriate since puppy-hood.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-08-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Why would anyone want to walk their non-service dog in a mall?
It's just another way for humans and their dogs to interact, socialize, and get some exercise, especially when the weather doesn't allow outdoor walking. My dog LOVES to run errands with me, and gets very excited when I take him into a dog-friendly establishment... it's even better than a dog park to him, since he prefers humans/children over other pooches. He stays leashed and by my side the whole time, simply following along and occasionally stopping to let dog lovers & children pet him. I do this most frequently during inclement weather, since Rudy NEEDS a daily walk or he drives me crazy. So if it's pouring rain for 2-3 days straight, sometimes that's my only option!

Quote:
Why would anyone, that operates and/or owns a mall, allow someone to walk their non-service dog in the mall?
Why not? As long as they're well-behaved and leashed, some store owners are glad to welcome a dog into their store... I could say the same for human children, ya know.

Quote:
I like dogs, but to me, that is not the place for them to be. Yea, your dog may be well behaved, but you don't know what someone will do.
How is a mall any different from walking your dog down a busy street? You WILL encounter dogs in public, whether you're in a mall or outside, so this comment is kind of a moot point... just have to trust the owner knows their dog, and uses proper restraints around other people. I trust my dog completely around people of all ages (in 6 years he's never given me a reason to feel otherwise), but I still keep him on a short leash in public - mostly for the sake of people who don't like dogs, so they won't get scared or offended.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-08-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,632,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
... just have to trust the owner knows their dog, and uses proper restraints around other people.
.........and there's the rub.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
.........and there's the rub.
If you're referring to the restraints part, that's why leash laws exist... I'm not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but around here they're pretty strict! As for trusting owners, what else can you do - except maybe ban ALL dogs in public? Some people (including children) might be hazardous, but we have to trust they're under control in public too. And if they prove not to be, that's when the proper authorities should be notified. We also take bites very seriously here in CA, so any dog with a bite report will be restricted or impounded ASAP.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,548,332 times
...Take it outside...

Concerned, no.

Inappropriate, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or