Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,807,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never been bitten by any of my own dogs (collies) and I don't really get close to or mess with anyone else's dogs.
I wasn't close to that lab either... until she crossed that 50 yard gap between us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
its amazing how fast a dog can run when there set on something...

i do hope though that this incident leads to the dog being better confined and kept up to date on shots and such...
glad there was no serious damage...and hey you got a new pair of "dont mind if they get dirty" pants out of the deal lol

Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i do hope though that this incident leads to the dog being better confined and kept up to date on shots and such...
It has... I know their landlord. They had to sign an agreement stating that they will keep the dogs within the inner yard and keep them up to date on vaccs.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,913,207 times
I've never had problems with labs, other than being bowled over by a few. But I exercise caution with any dog, regardless of size, and whether I know them or not. I'm not afraid of dogs, but I don't ignore than they have the ability to bite and do damage either... or that they have moods when they're not exactly predictable.

I've been nipped by nearly every breed of dog at some point or another despite being an "animal person". It happens. But I've only been truly bitten by a few dogs, and there was definitely something wrong with them (i.e. psycho hostile mutts) beyond just basic territoriality and protectiveness. One was a beagle (yes, a beagle!) who was a rescue, poor thing had been abused so badly by the former owners that she'd attack anyone who didn't meet her accepted physical profile (i.e. men, children, skin color, hair color). Another was my grandfather's schipperke -- I don't know what was wrong with that dog, but he nearly ate my face on several ocassions and took massive chunks out of my sister's ankles, I can only guess he just didn't like children (seriously, he would seek us out to attack us, not just nip us for annoying him).

I did have one neighbor whose lab-like mix used to charge out of their yard at me (and everyone else); and I finally had to take some corrective steps directly with the dog to avoid being mauled... and then I called animal control because the owners wouldn't listen to us.

Glad you're ok and the owners are at least replacing your torn pants. Hopefully they will listen and keep better control on their dog. No matter how nice their dog normally may be with them, bites happen!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM

884 posts, read 1,167,925 times
The only dog that's ever truly bitten me was a springer spaniel because I bent over to pick something up off the floor and he was nearby. He wasn't quite right and he also bit my cousin but when he bit me he was much more aggressive. I've been nipped at by puppies playing (like my cousin's beagle used to try and use my hand as a teething ring, despite having stuff for teething) and my newish dog was a big nipper but we stopped that. I'm glad you're okay!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 AM

She did it again on Sunday. The owners now have a disposal order. The dog must go.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,964,180 times

to you??

poor dog..... lousy owners.....

Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 PM

3,736 posts, read 12,361,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
She did it again on Sunday. The owners now have a disposal order. The dog must go.
Oh wow -a put down order?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

to you??
My business partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Oh wow -a put down order?
Bad choice of words. I should have used "removal order." It's a "remove from premises" order. It's supposed to happen by 5pm tomorrow. They're rehoming the dog to some friends.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but both attacks happened on our property, a storage yard we maintain down the street. Inside the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs