Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 10:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times

Advertisements

I had posted a thread about getting my dog ready for her CGC test. It's coming up on 10/1. After weeks of practice, at home, at several different locations outside, at the store, and following the very helpful advice from those who responded to my post, the trainer and I are confident Mushu is going to pass her exam with flying colors. As twelvepaws mentioned, we relaxed, took our time and had fun with it.

I want to continue Mushu's training. She had blossomed from being a super shy dog who didn't like to go our to a somewhat social butterfly. She really enjoyed going to school. There are several different classes I want to enroll her in but I am unsure (These classes will be taught by Dynamite Dog Training. They advocate for R+ training and have lots of experience under their belts).

Rally obedience - it looks fun. Mushu "watches" me all the time and is quick to learn and follow the commands, so I think this could challenge her more. Does she have to remain at a heel position? Or obedience competition. Their rules are stricter but I do not know too much about them. What is the difference?

Therapy dog training. I received many compliments from trainer, friends, family and strangers about how calm she is. She is currently 2 years old. Mushu do not jump on people (Never did since we adopted her, instead when she excited, she twirls once or twice). She doesn't slobber people with kisses but gives the occasional kiss if you get close to her face, including strangers. She was exposed to many small children, including one who petted her without warning and another (my 2-year old nephew) who waved his arms and tried to gently pull her ears and tail. Mushu's reaction would be sitting or laying there quietly and then lick them on their face if they get closer. Ears aren't back, no whale eyes, etc.

The only concern I see is that I think the therapy dog groups prefer social dogs. They are looking for dogs that love ALL people and approach ALL with trust and love. Due to Mushu's background, she is not the type to walk up and bother you for attention. She would sit/stay for petting and initiate greeting if she had met you at least 2-3 times. Most of what is on the therapy dog training test are similar if not the same as the CGC test.

I would really like to sign her up for the therapy training classes (18 classes -18 weeks) to prep her. Or is she better suited for Rally-O or other obedience classes?

What are your experience in these fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You can't do both? Therapy dogs is a very rewarding experience. You get the satisfaction of helping people who are in need of help.

Rally obedience is a lot of fun. The dogs enjoy it, the people enjoy it. Rally training and ttherapy dog training compliment each other, each strengthening the training of the other.

As if you don't already have enough to do with the dog, it is fun if the therapy dog can do a few simple entertaining tricks in addition to offering love and comfort.

Best of luck at the good citizens test. Remain calm and if you dog can do it at home, your dog will do it fine at the test as long as you are calm and confident.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM

122 posts, read 124,829 times
Congratulations in advance on your CGC! Don’t you just love seeing your dog coming out of her shell?

I understand what you mean about some dogs being social. My 6 year old Standard Poodle is more of a Velcro dog. My 10 month old Standard Poodle is out with his handler now and should get his Championship next month. He is a bomb proof dog who loves everyone. I am thinking he will be a good candidate for Therapy Dog training and am planning on enrolling him into a program here that has children reading to dogs. Kids love Standard Poodles.

The older Standard Poodle has 9 legs for her AKC RAE (needs 10) and should title and qualify for Nationals next month. She has qualified for the last 2 years.

I think one reason that she excels at Rally is because I can talk to her. Like I said, she is a bit needy and really responds well to me jabbering about how good she is doing. She is so-so at Obedience (she has a CD) which does not allow you to talk except at precise times. Rally is not judged as stringent as Obedience. For example, your dog can lag or forge in heel position with no penalty. Fronts don’t have to be perfect. It’s good to train in Rally with the precision of Obedience though.

There are also different venues besides AKC that offers Rally. UKC and WCR are also popular in my area. I think you can even have treats in the WCR ring.

A few months ago, my husband was hospitalized and I was able to take my older Poodle in for visits. Although she did really well and other patients loved her, I think Therapy Dog training would put some undo stress on her. When walking in, often there were people pushing carts or wheeling an IV drip tree behind us. She would keep looking back to make sure she knew where these things were.

Why don’t you try both and see what your dog enjoys?

Old 09-21-2016, 06:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Rally obedience - it looks fun. Mushu "watches" me all the time and is quick to learn and follow the commands, so I think this could challenge her more. Does she have to remain at a heel position? Or obedience competition. Their rules are stricter but I do not know too much about them. What is the difference?

Therapy dog training. I received many compliments from trainer, friends, family and strangers about how calm she is. She is currently 2 years old. Mushu do not jump on people (Never did since we adopted her, instead when she excited, she twirls once or twice). She doesn't slobber people with kisses but gives the occasional kiss if you get close to her face, including strangers. She was exposed to many small children, including one who petted her without warning and another (my 2-year old nephew) who waved his arms and tried to gently pull her ears and tail. Mushu's reaction would be sitting or laying there quietly and then lick them on their face if they get closer. Ears aren't back, no whale eyes, etc.

The only concern I see is that I think the therapy dog groups prefer social dogs. They are looking for dogs that love ALL people and approach ALL with trust and love. Due to Mushu's background, she is not the type to walk up and bother you for attention. She would sit/stay for petting and initiate greeting if she had met you at least 2-3 times. Most of what is on the therapy dog training test are similar if not the same as the CGC test.

I would really like to sign her up for the therapy training classes (18 classes -18 weeks) to prep her. Or is she better suited for Rally-O or other obedience classes?
Rally is a blast. Think of it as a cross between intermediate obedience, a 100 yard dash, and a ballet

There are three levels. We only teach novice because in my area there just isn't the demand for higher levels. The thing I really like about Rally is that the focus is more on the relationship and interaction between dog and handler, and how they interact throughout the course. A good handler/dog team can get faults and still place above someone who had a "perfect" run but the handler was sharp with their dog.

The teacher sets up a course that normally consists of 12-20 different stations; each station has an exercise that has to be performed. It is timed, so speed counts and needs to be balanced between the different stations and the goal of having a clean run.

I think what makes it really fun for both handler and dog, but especially for the dog, is that all the different exercises keep the dog engaged and interested, and because they don't know what is coming next, they really focus on their humans.

So, I call it a ballet because the dog and handler have to communicate, move, and work as a team; a skilled team doing a clean run is very much like a well-choreographed dance. Very different from obedience competitions where the emphasis is on performing the individual skill as cleanly as possible with less focus on the team dynamic.

My dogs have all done rally; they love it in spite of their klutzy handler (me). Speaking of klutzy, the good thing about rally as opposed to agility is that there are fewer opportunities for face-plants

Here is a guide to the different exercises beginning on p. 63.

http://cdn.akc.org/Rally/AKC700_ROR001_1114_WEB.pdf

Old 09-21-2016, 07:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I had posted a thread about getting my dog ready for her CGC test. It's coming up on 10/1.

I have been "looking" for a therapy dog candidate for awhile. When I got my my sweet soft border collie, I thought THIS IS THE ONE! But no, even at 8, he is still way too ADD and border collie hyper. It is too bad because he has the empathy and intuition a therapy dog needs. We did a few nursing home visits when he was about 4, but his energy was just too all over the place. He could pass the test, but he couldn't do the work.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:46 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I have been "looking" for a therapy dog candidate for awhile. When I got my my sweet soft border collie, I thought THIS IS THE ONE! But no, even at 8, he is still way too ADD and border collie hyper. It is too bad because he has the empathy and intuition a therapy dog needs. We did a few nursing home visits when he was about 4, but his energy was just too all over the place. He could pass the test, but he couldn't do the work.
Good story. I would post positive rating - but the system won't let me. Regardless, interesting. TY

Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Rally really is like dancing, and I am not good at learning steps, all the coordination it takes wrecked it for me because I couldn't do it for my dog. I didn't like it at all... Just MY experience, I know many can do it, and love it.

Truth be told proper obedience was easier for me, nothing changing. It is just the way my brain works, made me a better partner. The dog I work with best doesn't care what she has to do as long as she gets a treat. She also doesn't give a hoot about good girl Lol sh has one focus (makes her super easy for me).

We loved trick training, and nosework, they didn't rely on me to make the right moves! I have one who would love therapy work, I'm just not interested at the moment, as I find it too difficult emotionally, and don't want to pass that on to my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs