U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times

Advertisements

The few days my mini dachshund has been itching her back with her teeth and foot but mostly by rolling around on her back making noises. She squirms around like crazy, obviously with an itch and makes "feel good" noises. I found the spot, it's a few inches long towards her lower back and when I scratch it for her the back leg goes nuts. If I move even the slightest away from that spot, then nothing. I looked at her skin and there's nothing there, it's not red, flaky or anything. Any idea what it could be? She doesn't seem to be in pain, I don't see a bug or bug bite. We gave her a bath, tried Benedryl but still the same. If it continues I'll take her to the vet but if I don't have to, I would rather not. I just spent over $400 for yearly shots, plus another issue she had unrelated and kinda broke. Of course will bring her if necessary. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM

737 posts, read 2,247,509 times
Is this a pup or teen or a senior? I only ask because our, now teen, never rolled on her back outside during walks until a few months ago. Nothing wrong, just something she likes. We pet her and scratch her plenty, no bugs or anything, just something she now likes to do.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
is she up to date on flea protection, lower back (neer the tail) and feet is often an allergy and fleas are a common one (you may not see a bug or even signs of a bite, but even 1 bite can cause itchy frenzyness...)
some dogs however just LOVE their backs scirtched...

as a side note you might want to look up the new vaccination guidelines, yearly vaccination scheduals are being reccomended against and being replaced with 3 yearly or titer testing.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Is this a pup or teen or a senior? I only ask because our, now teen, never rolled on her back outside during walks until a few months ago. Nothing wrong, just something she likes. We pet her and scratch her plenty, no bugs or anything, just something she now likes to do.
She's around 3 and this just started a few days ago and it's in a specific spot. She never did this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
is she up to date on flea protection, lower back (neer the tail) and feet is often an allergy and fleas are a common one (you may not see a bug or even signs of a bite, but even 1 bite can cause itchy frenzyness...)
some dogs however just LOVE their backs scirtched...

as a side note you might want to look up the new vaccination guidelines, yearly vaccination scheduals are being reccomended against and being replaced with 3 yearly or titer testing.
Yes, up to date on everything and she's very clean, lives inside and we used a flea comb just to be sure it's not that. She just had all her shots about a month ago. We keep up on everything. I'm thinking it could be a fire ant bite. That's something we may not see and I know when I get them, it's very itchy to the point it keeps me up at night. I haven't seen any mounds around this time of year but the weather has been un-seasonably warm so maybe some are still here. Hate those things.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM

668 posts, read 1,904,354 times
A huge amounts of dogs, have that 'spot', where you scratch and they thump thier foot.. I always thought it was funny myself, but, have been showing my kids for years how they do that LOL...

Just some kind of nerve that is triggered, and there is nothing that is wrong with the dog...Big dog, small dog, if you try it, you will find that trigger almost every time.

Winter time is flea time... They are in your yard, and want to get some heat, so, they jump on the dog and find a home...

Ive tried to put stuff in the yard to no avail, cant seem to stop the fleas, (mainly because you cant keep any cats or other animals out of even a fenced in yard). They get in, drop thier fleas in the
Spring and Summer and everyone shares in the fun...sheesh

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,827,643 times
i just found the same sort of thing on roxie.... difference being, she has scratched herself a bit of a sore.... AND i found a flea on her the other day.... all 4 dogs have been treated for fleas and i have treated her sore with neosporin..... i am afraid i finally have a dog that is extra-sensitive to flea bites.....

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
yup, unfortunatly 1 bite is enough...

a dog doesnt have to be "dirty" to have a flea bite, they also dont have to HAVE fleas to have a flea bite...a dog with flea protection can get bitten (even a flea prevent that contains a repelant) the flea wont stay ON the og or live very long lol, but it can happen.
and you usually cant see the bite...unless you find flea dirt/live fleas youd never know if your dog have one or 2 bites which can easily happen during potty breaks...(fleas are insane, i hate the little buggers)

ive never had a fire ant bite so im not sure there, definatly could be a cause.

what kind of food do you feed? food sensitivities tend to effect the feet first but can agrivate anywhere on a dogs body...

but saying that ive had many a dog that will roll over and wiggle for back scritches or rub on things with no reaosn other than if feels good...
i assume its much like people, sometimes you just get that itch in the center of your back that you cant reach so you rub against a door frame or something and it just feels SOOOO good lol.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
My dog (Rudy) has frequent itchy back, and sometimes it's due to his flea allergy - if he gets even ONE flea, which I try to avoid with regular treatments, his whole body goes crazy with itchiness! But you said your dog is up on her flea treatments, so it could also be seasonal allergies, food sensitivities or just unexplained itching. Rudy has those problems as well, which my vet suggested treating with Benadryl (1mg per 1lb of dog, so 1.5 standard/25mg pills for my 40lb Rudy) as needed. I also give him baths with this Oatmeal shampoo, which seems to help as well... he just got a bath last night, and hasn't been bugging me for butt scratches since then.

In terms of the food sensitivity, my vet tech friend said lamb & rice is the least aggravating diet... I did that for a while until realizing his problem was more flea & "hay-fever" related, so now he gets other meats every 2-3 meals. But you might want to try lamb-only for a while, to see if that helps. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
fall is a terrible time for skin allergies. I thought Lucy and Bichon had food allergies but apparently I was only 1 week late with flea treatment and I did see 1 flea on her. Her backside is red and a big mess from the scratching. We have taken her to the vet twice for it and it seems to be getting better.

Bathe your dog with oatmeal dog shampoo which should help if it is a skin irritation. It will be soothing.

Also sometimes I am just crazy with a specific spot on my back itching me to death and I have to jump up and get the back scrubber. Maybe the same thing is happening to your dog!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM

It's not just a spot she likes scratched, this is a new issue and like I said, it's a very specific spot. I was feeling around last night and I found a very tiny scab right in that spot. So either it was a fire ant or I guess a flea bite? I'm not familiar with a flea bite. It was said they can get just one bite but not have fleas? Would it form a scab? The scab isn't from her scratching because it's so tiny and it just seems like there was a bite of some sort and maybe she scratched that or if a fire ant bite it could have formed a scab.

To answer some questions, we did give an oatmeal shampoo bath and I already changed her food over a year ago to Blue Buffalo, some Nutro but no chicken because people on here said chicken can cause allergies. Since switching food and no chicken, I did see a huge improvement with both of my dogs and the allergies. That being said, this recent issue I really believe is a bite of some sort.

So assuming it is a bite, (no it's hard to say but...) do you think it's safe to wait a few more days to see if the itching stops? I don't want to pay $40 for the vet to say it's a flea bite. What topical ointment can I put on it thats safe to see if it stops the itching? It has to be safe in case she licks it. Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs