Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times

Advertisements

People are frikkin dog mad these days. It makes them feel like good people and all Starbucksy (a version of cool)... My idiot next door neighbor has three dogs (in his home) that he can't even tell to shut up. They are oblivious to any command... and he raised every one of the yappers from a puppy.

Brilliant.

We are a pet free home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
I dote on my dogs. They're also very well trained and highly obedient.

The dogs and I will be fine if you choose not to visit.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
One thing I have noticed about people who "humanize" their dogs, they equate crate training with abuse. Crate training is not abusive, done correctly.

I once brought a crate over to my Grandmother's, to work with "muffy", the S-tzu who peed everywhere. You would have thought I was putting a toddler in the crate based on her torrent of protesting. Like, I was doing something horrible to the dog, rather than trying to monitor the dog to prevent it from peeing every where, and train the DOG, that peeing inside was not being a "good dog".

Well, Muffy never got potty trained. Ugh!

And I don't know about Alpha pack or whatever...I just never let the dog on the furniture, because he had a nice dog bed, several around the house. That was his space. The bed, and sofa, were my "space". How can anyone want to share a bed with a creature that eats cat feces for a treat?!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Well my dogs dont eat SH*T theirs or anyone elses! LadyBug actually burries hers! They dont have Fleas & get reg baths!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You should never let a dog sleep in your bed
Okay, I was totally with you until this statement... even Cesar Milan & Victoria Stilwell say that's fine, as long as they move when you ask (and don't get possessive).

I agree dogs should have basic manners - no jumping inappropriately, no stealing food off your plate, limited barking, stay out of your way, etc, etc. But in terms of sleeping in your bed and being allowed on the furniture, that's a personal decision for each household to make. My dog is allowed to sleep in bed with me, and he's also allowed on the sofa and armchair... I'm single with no roommates and infrequent visitors, so why the heck not?? He's a good foot-warmer, especially in the winter! Not to mention we're in a 700sf apartment with no yard (small balcony), so it's not like he has many other options.

HOWEVER he knows humans are the bosses, so all I have to do is *point* and he immediately moves at my request. He also knows the commands "off" and "leave it" (among many others), and generally obeys the first time I ask. He is a well-behaved & quiet dog overall, and typically the only people who dislike him are not dog people - period. Anyway, it's all about setting clear boundaries, but we all have the right to make our own boundaries with our pets.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-12-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Like I told my sister years ago - the dogs live here - you don't. I will decide what my dogs get to do or not do in their home. I've been amazed at the poor manners of guests who don't realise that.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Like I told my sister years ago - the dogs live here - you don't. I will decide what my dogs get to do or not do in their home. I've been amazed at the poor manners of guests who don't realise that.
Is she your younger sister? I ask because I have an older sister (and younger brother), and she doesn't let me tell her anything "point blank" - she's the boss, and that's that.

Luckily she's pretty tolerant of dogs, and Rudy is always well-behaved around her kids... so it's never been an issue, but I can't imagine if I said that to her! Heads would roll, LOL.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
People are frikkin dog mad these days. It makes them feel like good people and all Starbucksy (a version of cool)...
Como?? Seriously, I've never heard that take on dog ownership! I got a dog for companionship, exercise (lost 50lbs within a year of adopting him), protection, and simply because I love dogs - not to be "Starbucksy," LOL.

Quote:
My idiot next door neighbor has three dogs (in his home) that he can't even tell to shut up. They are oblivious to any command... and he raised every one of the yappers from a puppy.

Brilliant.
Not all dog owners are that clueless, and some of us know how to train a dog... I've lived in apartments (and a row-house) the entire time I've had Rudy, six years now, and have NEVER had a problem with him barking too much. He only barks if somebody's at the door, which I actually encourage as a single woman living alone - and occasionally if a dog walks right past our apartment. Small breeds tend to bark more, and some people just don't know how to stop a barking problem. The biggest mistake they usually make is yelling at the dog, which only makes things worse. Regardless, don't blame us all for your lousy neighbor!

Quote:
We are a pet free home.
That's sad... I couldn't imagine living in a home without pets, at the very least a cat. Personal choice, of course, but to me a house would be too empty without animals.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Is she your younger sister? I ask because I have an older sister (and younger brother), and she doesn't let me tell her anything "point blank" - she's the boss, and that's that.

Luckily she's pretty tolerant of dogs, and Rudy is always well-behaved around her kids... so it's never been an issue, but I can't imagine if I said that to her! Heads would roll, LOL.
She's two years younger. I have a lot of sisters - all younger. My dogs are very well-behaved - but this sister doesn't like any animals at all and I'm not interested in hearing yet another lecture from her about why I shouldn't have animals because she doesn't like animals.

It occurs to me that maybe my post came across as though I said all of that to her - nope. I only said, "The dogs live here - you don't."

Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
She's two years younger. I have a lot of sisters - all younger.
I figured you were a first-born... because us younger siblings know our place!

Quote:
My dogs are very well-behaved - but this sister doesn't like any animals at all and I'm not interested in hearing yet another lecture from her about why I shouldn't have animals because she doesn't like animals.

It occurs to me that maybe my post came across as though I said all of that to her - nope. I only said, "The dogs live here - you don't."
I guess that's understandable, and if somebody was REALLY anti-dog/Rudy, they simply don't need to enter my home. I'd never take him where he wasn't wanted, but my house has many pets... so if you're not into cats, dogs and snakes, don't visit. I mean, it's not like I can board them whenever a non-animal person wants to stop by! And that's why my best friend rarely comes over, as she's very allergic to cats and terrified of snakes. We still hang out plenty, just at her house (with her yappy dogs) or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs