Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 PM

7,246 posts, read 9,241,206 times

Advertisements

I have no problems with dogs having rules. Like many people, I too have been in homes with yappy dogs that are downright annoying. But I would never ever dream of telling others what their rules for their dogs should be. To my mind, an owner allowing a dog to sleep on a bed, or an owner stepping over a dog instead of asking the dog to move, is a much better owner than those who never give their dog any attention at all and/or keep a dog on a chain outside all the time.

My dogs don't sleep in bed but they have when they were puppies - they prefer their own space now. My dogs will move when I ask them to - but I don't always ask them to - I see no reason not to let sleeping dogs lie unless it is somehow absolutely necessary for them to move.

My dogs don't beg at the table. They don't harass guests (by jumping on them, for example) unless they are guests I want to get rid of. I will certainly put my dogs in another room if I know someone has a genuine fear of dogs, but I wouldn't put them in another room for a whole day. They live here and they do have rights here.

I don't baby-talk to my dogs - I do something much, much worse - I have long, philosophical conversations with them

I think dogs are happier when they have boundaries and ideally, jobs, but I'm not anal about it. My issue is with non-dog people who somehow seem to expect their standards to be adhered to at my home.

And as others have remarked on, I've met more ill-behaved children than I have dogs and I have not said a word, not an ouch, not an eye-roll, even when parents thought it was cute when their little darling was using my ankles to practise his hockey stick skills.

There are worse things than a "doted" upon dog as described by the OP - and that is an abused, uncared for dog. It's quite an extreme leap to make to suggest that owners who dote on their dogs ought not to own dogs. What's even weirder is coming to a dog forum to complain about it.

Being childless, I guess my next step should be going to a parenting board and berating parents who dote on their children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
cant rep you again yet but nicely said.

i feel like i need support group lol

hi...my name is Foxy and i dote on my dogs...

but its good to know that my doted upon, typically well behaved dogs SHOULDNT be living me simply because sometimes i baby talk them, let them sleep on the bed or have scraps after dinner...
Nope thed be much better off in the hands of someone who treats them like insects, yanks them round on chains and only gives them attention hen it suits the person...
or even better in a kennel somwhere...
and Dozer would have been much better off had i just left him outside...
ive gone and ruined him now, taking him into my home where he gets all the attention he wants, and can sleep on the couch and give kisses to any guest that asks for them...
let me get right on finding a PROPPER home for my doted upon spoilt little dogs...
im a HORRIBLE person for what ive done to my dogs...
ya know that whole feeding them, making sure they have a soft bed to sleep in at night, and vet care...

quite frankly id rather see a Spoilt ROTTEN yappy mean little dog (No matter what the reason for his behaviour) whos in a warm home where the people, despite his behaviour, love him...
than in the hands of someone who doesnt care at all...

some dogs behavioural issues are lack of training, lack of stucture...
some however are past experience and even genetic...
would you be so quick to talk bad about a reacenlty abused dog being scared of strangers? or an old blind dog being yappy when they hear the doorbell go?!

petter in loving arms and a little spoilt, than in a shelter hoping someone might care enough to spring them before their times up.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Being childless, I guess my next step should be going to a parenting board and berating parents who dote on their children?
Believe me there are plenty of ChildFree people on the parenting forum making all sorts of know-it-all comments about children. Thank you for not being one of them.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,241,315 times
There are no bad dogs. Just bad owners.

I guess I spoil dogs rotten. Every dog I have ever had, was well fed, well behaved, and had a weekly visit to Pet-co just to browse around. (Just an excuse to go for a ride in the car, and geta cone at McDonald's). So, I do dote on dogs. But dogs are dogs, not children. They can miss a meal once in awhile if I am busy working, and get home late. I never revolved my life around the care and feeding of a dog, as many people do.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,363,189 times
Netwit, I can't rep you again yet, but that was an excellent post.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,913,207 times
One also has to consider the temperament of the breed. Some dogs are just more people-oriented than others, and would rather spend time with their humans than other dogs. In some breeds, the "static cling" behavior was a specifically bred-in trait because domestic or personal guard duties were expected. If you want a dog that will go sit in a corner in another room or outside quietly, then don't get a breed that needs to be in the middle of things with their humans by their very nature.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
One also has to consider the temperament of the breed. Some dogs are just more people-oriented than others, and would rather spend time with their humans than other dogs. In some breeds, the "static cling" behavior was a specifically bred-in trait because domestic or personal guard duties were expected. If you want a dog that will go sit in a corner in another room or outside quietly, then don't get a breed that needs to be in the middle of things with their humans by their very nature.
Exactly. I have two GSDs - they are supposed to be alert and I'm not going to punish the dogs for sniffing guests. My female GSD gives a quick sniff and leaves guests alone while my male GSD sniffs a little longer. It's part of their nature and part of the reason I got them, being out in the country. It is their job. They are doing exactly what they were bred for and what they are supposed to do - making sure you smell all right to them, in order to protect me.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Believe me there are plenty of ChildFree people on the parenting forum making all sorts of know-it-all comments about children. Thank you for not being one of them.
I'm not a ChildFree person - I'm a ChildLESS person. We wanted children. Just didn't happen. Childless people get a lot of unsolicited advice too about their infertility issues by people who have never experienced it. It's very annoying, I completely agree.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,241,315 times
Nitwit, sorry about your infertility.

Dogs rock!

I love dogs. Don't have one now, for many reasons.

But just because you don't mind when your GSD sniffs me, I do, so if you have invited me to your home, please keep "Hansel" and "Gretel" out in the yard, or kitchen, or let's just meet at "Olive Garden". You love your dog, I don't. Don't tell me it is "no big deal".

Dote on your dog. Kiss your dog. Whatever. But don't be offended if I don't.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Nitwit, sorry about your infertility.

Dogs rock!

I love dogs. Don't have one now, for many reasons.

But just because you don't mind when your GSD sniffs me, I do, so if you have invited me to your home, please keep "Hansel" and "Gretel" out in the yard, or kitchen, or let's just meet at "Olive Garden". You love your dog, I don't. Don't tell me it is "no big deal".

Dote on your dog. Kiss your dog. Whatever. But don't be offended if I don't.
People who mind if my dogs do their job are certainly in the wrong place and I certainly wouldn't put the whims of temporary visitors above my dogs who live here.

I don't think anyone anywhere in this thread suggested guests should dote on their dogs. I think the overriding consensus is that you don't tell a pet owner how you think their dogs ought to behave. Because, ya know, most of us don't care.

Last edited by netwit; 12-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs