U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 AM

43,440 posts, read 52,446,512 times

Advertisements

When you come into my house, you will take off your shoes, you will use a coaster, and you will allow my dogs to greet you.

I will, however, not allow them to pester you. Once they've said hello, if they keep bothering you, they get shut up in another room. They are really friendly and love people (collies), but the older one relaxes quickly and just sits on the floor. The younger one gets 'put away' a lot. Most good friends and family that like dogs just ignore her and let her be in the room, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,622,351 times
Sigh. Typical.

If you invite a person to your home, tell them, "I have two large GSD who live there, and I will let them sniff you.". Then, I have the option of not going to your house if I don't want to be sniffed by dogs. Don't just "spring" it on me, and cop an attitude.

Not everyone likes to be sniffed by GSD, even if they are "temp" guests.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,511,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When you come into my house, you will take off your shoes, you will use a coaster, and you will allow my dogs to greet you.

I will, however, not allow them to pester you. Once they've said hello, if they keep bothering you, they get shut up in another room. They are really friendly and love people (collies), but the older one relaxes quickly and just sits on the floor. The younger one gets 'put away' a lot. Most good friends and family that like dogs just ignore her and let her be in the room, though.
Sounds like my house.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 AM

9,545 posts, read 10,855,846 times
My dogs don't mind if people wear shoes. My younger one does like to lick toes, however, so perhaps I should make that rule.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 AM

36,494 posts, read 41,699,622 times
I definitely tell people who are stopping by my house, "I have a dog...I hope that's not a problem." If it is, then they know we'll probably be talking out on the porch, or meeting elsewhere.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,313,685 times
My dog are such a part of my life if you are coming to my home you know I have dogs.

I don't ask a lot of people to come to my house.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,723,350 times
im with driller...
anyone INVITED to my home knows i have dogs, plain and simple, theres no 'springing" it on people at the front oor...people know me, they know my dogs and they know what kind of behaviour to expect...

i do also make sure tht if i have delivery/repair people comming over that a note is put on the invoice that dogs are present at the property...ive had delivery men who prefer not to be around dogs request to be replaced because of this...its simply common courtesy to let people know well before reaching your front door...
i started doing this when we had a delivery guy show up at my parrents house and simply REFUSE to come in because of the dogs (chihuhauas mind you) we ended up having to reschedual and waiting days because of his inability to handle the dogs...
now i tell them before hand, that way if they have someone seriously not dog frinedly/capable there can be a request placed prior to my delivery/repair date so were NOT getting held up...

if your invited to my house you KNOW i have dogs, you probably also know what types their ages and have seen pictures too lol.

if your at my door expecting to come in and dont know i have dogs..i didnt invite you over and your not geting past my porch...its that simple, strangers dont come in my house, if you dont know i have dogs before you get here...your a stranger and wernt invited.

i have plenty of "none doggy" friends...they know i have dogs and they know id rather not have people in my house if there not comfortable around the dogs...(ive found anyone comming in here with discomfort/semi negative feelings, the dogs feed on the negative energy and act up negativly)
so we simply either meet at their house or we meet somewhere mutual...a resturaunt or the movies ect...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,181,483 times
I have to disagree when it comes to delivery or repair people. I have always put my dogs away when someone like that is coming. They're working, and it's not fair to expect them to deal with people's dogs. I'm sure even dog lovers among them would prefer it. Even friendly dogs may not react the same way to people making banging noises and doing odd things rather than behaving as a guest does. Also dogs can really get in the way. I don't automatically put my cats away but I watch out for them supervising the workers, and if they're getting too close, off they go.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,723,350 times
i dont allow my dogs to get underfoot, i dont leave them unsupervised and they do get put away if nessicary for repair people...
my point being, some will refuse to do a job if a dog is even IN the house (we had the chihuhauas locked in another room the guy refused to come in)
so now there made aware of the fact before hand...
if the repair person WANTS to say hello thats fine, otherwise my dogs are expected to behave however i tell them to...
however even if your locking them away these folks should be told prior to the job...some people have legitimate reasons as to why they cant do a job in a household with pets...allergies being a big one...id rather not have a guy with a blowtorch or power saw ect sneezing and runny eyed while he tries to work...

again point being, noone comes to my door without being warned well in advance that there are dogs on the premises and anyone "suprised" by it wernt invited in the first place.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,313,685 times
I am the service person at times.

Most people will ask if their dogs bother me and they never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or