Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

li guy and gal, i dont want my dogs jumping up for saftey reasons, even a healthy adult person can be caught off guard by a jumping dog, claws can scratch accidentaly not to ention the risk to the dog shoudl the person move funny and the dog lands funny...

i dont want my dogs licking my face uncontrolably anymore than id want a human randomly licking my face lol, if i invite a kiss i ask for it and offer a cheek, thats fine...but general tounge in face action is yicky, i dont want a slobber face, not to mention dogs have the magical bility to like thier rear ends (my male seems to wait untill male guests are in the house before happily "showing off" his ability to lick a certain organ) nope...dont want dog tounge in my face, or people tounge for that matter

to me theres a difference between greting you at the door and diving all over you...one is nice, the other is a simple case of bad manners...

once again, theres a difference betwen a doting owner and a lazy one...

its LAZY owners who dont teach their dogs (or children) good manners that are the problem...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,881 times
If you feel this way and still go over to your friend's who have pets...then just who is the idiot? The dog that is behaving their way in their own home, or you for disliking the behavior and going over anyway? Stay with your friends with cats....THEY hide, but funny, those litterboxes have a way of making themselves known. Why I don't have cats...can see no reason to keep crap inside my house.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,369,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You should never let a dog sleep in your bed, go into a doorway before you, eat food from your plate, never walk around them to get to where you are going or have to step over them, or do anything else to let a dog think it is equal to, or above you in power. It's amazing how many owners don't understand this.
In my next life, I never want to come back as your pet. My dog, Watson, sleeps with me and he runs in the house before me because I allow him to! My dog does not eat off my plate though. My dog is WELL LOVED and SPOILED and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,369,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
It may not be wrong but it is kind of disgusting. Animals belong on the floor/ground. Furniture is for humans.
Watson is curled up on the couch beside me as I type. When it's time for bed, he waits patiently while I get ready for bed and then I lift him up on the bed. He is 6 lbs, does not shed, is groomed frequently and is probably cleaner than most humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my dogs are cleaner than most people i meet...(and my dogs dont shed either LOL!)

the human body sloughs more dander in an hour than the average dog does in an entire 24 hour period when in bed...even if you took a shower and scrubbed with steel wool 20 mins before hand...

belive me...if looked at your matress under a serious microscope...a dog on the bed would be the LEAST of your worries...lol...
I agree.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
Yes, the real problem in the pet world is people who love their pets too much and are too nice to them. Good one sparky

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
It may not be wrong but it is kind of disgusting. Animals belong on the floor/ground. Furniture is for humans.
If I had to choose between a dog or a snooty human to share my furniture with I'd choose the dog every time.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you may be confusing 'failing to discipline' and 'dote'.

'Dote' means to 'to bestow or express excessive love or fondness habitually'.

'Failing to discipline' is the inability or lack of effort to direct an animal or person to act appropriately in any given situation.

The two do not have to be correlated.

A sample point (granted, only one, so it only shows existence). My dog, a 5lb toy brindle rat terrier, performs none of the examples you stated of improper behavior. She does not bark, will only eat from her own dish, does not beg or lick you. All she will do is roll on her back and hope you scratch her belly

In terms of doting on her (NOT 'failing to discipline'), I am absolutely guilty of that. A person can love an animal. My last dog had a full-time nanny, and my current one does as well. I show her attention all the time. She goes almost everywhere with me. She has her own playroom. She is the equivalent to my child. And my value system places her there with respect to others.

It is the adults' responsibility to train the dog, and I understand that a poorly trained dog can be annoying. Not to get off topic, but no more annoying than when I used to have people over for holidays, with kids under 14. The parents thought it is 'cute' when, at the dinner table little Johnny decided to play drums with the silverware on a $7K table, or throw mashed potatoes on a $50K oriental rug, or touch everything in sight. Now, as one of the OP's stated, I just say "my house is not child-proofed for anyone under 18".
The spouse and I have requested to be moved to different tables in fine restaurants, to avoid the shrieking and interruptions (I think I am still partially deaf in my left ear). And forget going to the mall, ever.
Enough of my off-topic rant.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,161 times
This thread is still going? That person probably has a personal issue with personal problems.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
People are frikkin dog mad these days. It makes them feel like good people and all Starbucksy (a version of cool)... My idiot next door neighbor has three dogs (in his home) that he can't even tell to shut up. They are oblivious to any command... and he raised every one of the yappers from a puppy.

Brilliant.

We are a pet free home.
I am very glad that you are a pet free home.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
My dogs have to obey two commands, come when I call you and stay on the property. Other that that, they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want, sleep in my bed, walk in front of me to the door, greet guest however they choose, I honestly could not care less. I've had people visit an complain about the dogs getting in theswimming pool, snatching cookies out of unattentive kids hands, or herding the kids in the yard. Yeah, this is not a kid house, it's a dog house. I don't have to be the Alpha dog, as long as they come when I call them and stay on the property, they are on their own. They are spoiled and pretty much treated as equals. Don't like it - Not my problem. I'm happy, my dogs are happy and, we don't require all that much interaction with other folks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs