Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Hey, when were you over to my house? J/K, kinda. My kids are grown, I get the grands a few times a month, my 2 furbabies are who I GET to dote on. The barking can be annoying and I try to get them to stop, any tips for me? But once they get to know someone, all they want is to play or love on them. I see nothing wrong with that. They are waaaay better behaved then some kids I've been around. You cant expect others to raise their pups the way you would though. Their home, so their rules. It'd be different if they were bringing them to your house.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Different home different rules. That's all. While I do spoil my two doggies I still draw the line when they break the rules and I have quick and stern corrections. But you shouldn't push your rules or expectations (which you seem to think are the better sets of rules, judging from your tone) on to others. Pampering is far better than neglect or animal abuse but nobody should be feeding their dogs so much making them super duper fat as well. Every situation is unique. Take a deep breath and relax.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
These are the same reasons I don't allow nieces and nephews under age 12 to my house.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
dont lik it the solution i simple, dont go to those finreds houses...

it bothers ME when people automatically assume my dogs should behave how THEY think they should...

now dont get me wrong meny of the things you mentioned as annoyances to you are thigns i dont think any dog shoudl be doing...especially in the kitchen.

my dogs are HEAVILY doted upon, however we also have rules, the kitche is a "quiet" place for example, you want to be in the kitchen with me you lay down out of the way and keep quite...they all knowthis even the 9 week old puppy...
jumping up at guests isnt allowed, dogs safety rather than the guests, i never want to put my dogs in a position where a guest could get accidentlaly injuerd and my dogs be at blame...

do i feed them from my plate?! after im done yes?
are they allowed to sit by the table...wel yeah...there not allowed to be jumping up or crying or pawing ect though, they sit nice and wait...

simple basic manners...

however saying that people who dont instil certain behaviours in their dogs that YOU would like to see (some poeple think its cute when a dog gets exicted to see them ect) does NOT mean they shouldnt have a dog...simply means you as the guest need to make the desicion if those behaviours are enough of a bother for you to want to go to their house.

in my house theres a saying...the dogs live her...YOU dont...
they are expected to follow MY rules, they are expected to behave the way I want them to behave...
but my dogs get kisses and baby talked and plenty of treats (i belive 100% in positive reinforcment, hitting and yelling at a dog is like hitting and yelling at a rock, itll get you knowhere and relay slowly too!)
there allowed on the couch (calmly) ect...
i also expect GUEST to follow certain rules, like ignoring the dogs when they come in so that things can move to calm greetings...

but i also expect guest to remove thier shoes at the door and some people dont like that either...dont like it?! dont come over...

i had one "friend" tell me i had to get rid of my cats if i wanted her to come over because shes "deathly allergic" (im not quite sure how itchy eyes and a runny nose is deathly, shes not anaphalactic... lol)
i offerd that given her allergies id be happy to put the cats in a seperate room and run the vacume 1/2 hour before she was due over...nope, her rule was that i HAD to get rid of my cats...
i dont think we ever spoke again after that conversation

Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
My dogs are more well behaved than many of the children I see in restaurants and in stores.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I love my puppy-uppies, Eddy, Niles, Daphnie, and Briscoe. They are my little babies. If you don't like it, don't visit.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Yep! Nothing like people that Visit encouring Katie to Jump up on THEM..... After YEARS of Trying to break her of this & EVERYONE say OOOO Shes Cute it OK I dont mind GGGRRRR I gave up! I would be Sooo Much better IF they Walk in Calmly & Ignore Her! Then she comes sits by my side! But Very Few that come to my door do this! GRRR My 1 gf does...she scared of dogs. Katie knows this & most times when my gf is leaving she will calmly walk over to Katie & pet her goodbye. Our visits are sooo pleasant! Kevins friends some let her jump encourage it! Then others tell her OFF as soon as I open the door & refuse to pet her til she sits! But took me YEARS to Train THEM LOL
Have you talked to your friend about her dogs behavour bothering you? Make it Nice Plesant conversation. Ask HER If there is a way for You to help her train the dogs.... for example when you Plan a visit take treats. When she opens the door [hopefully on leash] She has the dogs calmly seated beside her. Calmly great the dog & treat! Do it several time for each dog per visit! This is an exercise we practiced in Basic Obedience Classes! We had different make shift doors LOL several had different sounding bells....& I went to Tons!! Over Decades! & she had Families come & work with the dogs! After all everyone in the home needed to speak the same language LOL

Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
zonababe, LOVE the names :P

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I love my puppy-uppies, Eddy, Niles, Daphnie, and Briscoe. They are my little babies. If you don't like it, don't visit.

No one is saying they don't like dogs here, it's the fact that people are ignorant about the fact that they have dogs that have bad behavior and are not trained properly. Too many people treat their dogs like they are a human, they're not. They're dogs, so step up and show them who is alpha. Too many owners are afraid or think it is "mean" to show a dog just who is in charge. I love dogs, but only ones that know how to behave. I don't understand why any owners tolerate the constant yapping, obstruction in the kitchen or walkways, stealing of food off of plates in the kitchen, etc. It's not "cute" to have a dog constantly in your face trying to lick it while you are trying to talk to someone while sitting down.

You should never let a dog sleep in your bed, go into a doorway before you, eat food from your plate, never walk around them to get to where you are going or have to step over them, or do anything else to let a dog think it is equal to, or above you in power. It's amazing how many owners don't understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs