U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 PM

102 posts, read 287,851 times

Advertisements

We have two beautiful English labs that are currently on Bil Jac food. Previously they were on Purina and their urine did a number on the lawn. Bil Jac is kind of expensive, so I'm wondering what another good but less expensive brand would be for our dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,006,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnlisa View Post
We have two beautiful English labs that are currently on Bil Jac food. Previously they were on Purina and their urine did a number on the lawn. Bil Jac is kind of expensive, so I'm wondering what another good but less expensive brand would be for our dogs?
I feed my english lab Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Good food but her urine still leaves spots on the lawn.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
urine spots on the lawn are from not enough fluids not whats in the food...
if your gettin bare spots encourage more fluid intake by changing the water in the bowl more frequently or feeding a raw diet/wet food diet.

in terms of good food...
look for something with the first ingredient being MEAT (chicken lamb,venison, duck, fish, ect) or MEAT MEAL (meal is simply the meat ground up and moisture extruded) avoid byproduct corn and soy!

looking at the ingredient list in biljac
(select adult) Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Oatmeal and Flaxseed.
the bolded are yick..the first entry of byproduct being organ is fine..but then the undentified byproduct is "beaks feet and feathers" as its nicknamed by many in the industry, it cal anslo include floor sweepings (which often includes metla filins and sawdust)
corn is simply junk, dogs cant digest it, its just a cheap filler.

the best foods would be raw or grain free...
otherwise id look for something in the chicken or lamb and rice families...
if your looking for something cost effective look into kirkland sold by costco, diamond NATURALS (sold at TSC and many feed supply/co-ops, natruals is good, the rest of the diamond line is junk though), and 4-health sold at tractor supply company

right now pet smart has a 30lb bag of biljack at $46.99
tractor supply sells the 35lb 4-health bags (no corn at all!) for $29.99 normally (its on sale right now at $25.99)
and Diamond naturals is $28.99 for 40lbs!

biljac CLAIMS to have the most chicken per bag than any other food, but remember th weight of the mat is BEFORE the moisture is extruded...so by the time they cook it down...the other ingredients will beat it out...especially when loading the food up with corn!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
Natures Recipe, Healthy Skin Formula, Venison and Rice -- It eliminated the constant paw licking caused by food allergies.

I agree that food doesn't cause yellow grass. All you have to do is dump a can of water in the grass after they pee. It dilutes the urine and stops yellowing of grass.

I completely disagree with encouraging increased water intake. Dogs naturally regulate their water intake to what's healthy for them.

But providing more fresh cold water isn't detrimental and worth a try. Just don't force it.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM

im not talking force water down the dogs neck, simply providing clean water more frequently (or providing fresh running water) dots are notorious when on an all kibble diet for not drinking enough, dry food isnt natrual and they have to drink more than nature would typically dictate to make up for the lack of moisture in the food...
some dogs WILL keep their water intake without any assistance even if the water has been standing, others however wont drink enough if the water bowl is not kept clean and fresh...
IF the dog is drinking enough...the urine acidity isnt enough to cause grass burn...
just like in people...if your pee is strong enough to burn grass....your not drinking enough...
the same goes for dogs....(as has been told to me by a number of vets in both the domestic and the wild/exotic feilds...)

healthy pee from anything drinking enough fluids isnt strong enough to burn grass unlees the exact same spot is being used multiple times a day for a week or more...then theres a build up of minerals that can cause the grass in the area to die off...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM

My point is that dogs regulate their own water intake to compensate for how often they are able to go outside to do their business. Some owners can't increase the number of unination trips due to work and life schedules. As a result, increasing water intake would be detrimental and/or extremely difficult to accomplish since a well trained dog doesn't want to have accidents in the house. The best alternative is to dilute where they literally urinate in the yard by dumping water on the spot in the grass after they go.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 AM

urine that burns grass is an early sign of dehydration...
its not normal...it shouldnt be consdered "normal" either...

either the ph in their body is all wrong or there not rinking enough, both of which can lead to serious health issues later in life.

just because its inconvenient to take a dog out every 6 hours rather than every 8, or hire a dog walker to come in at lunch, doesnt make urine strong enough to burn grass "NORMAL" (or acceptable in my book) dehydration is a health risk...urine storng enough to burn grass is dehydration in action...

Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

102 posts, read 287,851 times
Back to the food topic, any other suggestions?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Dog Food Reviews - Dry Dog Foods - Powered by ReviewPost

anything 4 stars or above is considerd "good" food
6 star foods are considered to be "the best"

Bil-Jac is a 1 star food...in otherwords pretty much anything would be better LOL!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
either the ph in their body is all wrong or there not rinking enough, both of which can lead to serious health issues later in life.

just because its inconvenient to take a dog out every 6 hours rather than every 8, or hire a dog walker to come in at lunch, doesnt make urine strong enough to burn grass "NORMAL" (or acceptable in my book) dehydration is a health risk...urine storng enough to burn grass is dehydration in action...
Not every dog owner lives by your standards. And I have a history of dogs who live long lives without serious health issues. One dog lived for 22 years. Another lives for 18 years. I currently have a 16 year old who is going strong. And a 9 year old who is still like a puppy. Three of them are large breed dogs. We've never had a major health problem. The two who are dead died in their sleep without needing any special medical care throughout their entire lives. My current old lab had a brief problem with hip problems due to breeding but that was quickly corrected. And my other dog is and has always been super healthy. So IMHO, your whole "burning grass is dehydration that causes serious health risks, and needing walks every 6 hours" is a bunch of BULLl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnlisa View Post
Back to the food topic, any other suggestions?
Haven't you noticed that we all seem to be in agreement that the food has little to do with the urine buring the grass? That's quite telling since we clearly can't agree on anything else. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or