Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times

Advertisements

For the past 2 years we were the only folks around here, so we could just turn her out and let her run. She normally didn't go any farther than the creek or the road (about a mile away) and she always came home. But we've had some neighbors move into the area recently, so we want to keep her more contained so she doesn't get blamed for everything that could possibly go wrong at their places. Plus, we haven't had any real way to leave her at home when we needed to go into town or go out cutting firewood... and it would be really nice not to have to take her everywhere with us and know that she's safe (dogs and chainsaws & falling trees don't mix).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
How about a Free standing kennel. Cement floor for easy cleaning & Top made of wood! Course to set it right you have to wait for a good Thaw LOL But you wouldnt need to Dig! Trying to be a good neighbor is hard when the dogs is use to freedom! YES! I seen dogs that have had trees fall on them! Not Pretty!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM

I might be able to do some sort of freestanding kennel, maybe just put a fence panel across the entire bottom to keep her from digging out (concrete being a royal bi-atch to haul back here and mix by hand).

The invisible shock fences don't work consistently with all her fur and the speed that she runs through the boundary area, and electric polywire only stops her if it gets hers on an ear nose or paw... although she is a total wimp if she actually does get zapped. I think she'll actually obey a regular chain link or slat fence while we're at home without major fortification as long as we give her about an acre around to run and be a heathen in the trees, but we'd probably still need to tie her up if we were going to leave home without her or she'd be over/under/through most fences in a heartbeat.

Ripley isn't a bad dog, she's just making her rounds and checking everything and everyone out in her territory. Of course, with a running dog like her, that's about a mile range. BUT some folks from the city aren't used to the country and don't realize that my dog is most probably not the animal that is a) getting into their trash, b) molesting their animals, or c) getting into their food storage shed. One of my new neighbors swears every dead hare he finds on his property was killed by my dog even though it's totally apparent that it was an aerial attack, most likely a hawk or owl. I mean, she's part Akita, so she will hunt wildlife, but she normally eats it (except the bit she brings back for us - joy!) and doesn't kill just for sport like some dogs -- chase, maybe, but not kill.

HELLO... we live in the bush people, you know, with lots of WILD animals!!!! When they come face to face with the ravens, eagles, hawks, owls, bears, lynx, coyotes, wolves or wolverines they're attracting leaving their small animals, food and garbage around then they won't be able to blame my dog anymore. Meanwhile, the animals that they are attracting are now becoming nuisance animals for us after 2 years of incident-free living out here. But it's MY DOG that's the problem.... Ah well

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Use Patio squares LOL Yep I know the feeling ... When city people moved into my area THEY started Demanding leash laws....fencing DUH My uncle lived on 100 acres & the people blamed his dog for getting into the trash even when he was inside! My uncle said Prove it! They sat up several nites & took pic 1 was a Black Bear & the other 'dog' was a coon sheesh Buster was a Husky/Shepherd & was Never tied or fenced in in his life! & Never went off his property unless it was in my uncles truck!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 AM

Patio squares might work... good idea!

Ripley normally stays within our 1 sq mile "subdivision" which she considers her "home territory" because we've maintain the access easements and firebreaks since we've been the only folks out here for the past two years. Since we routinely travel in these areas, she thinks it's hers, even though we don't technically own the property... but she doesn't stray outside our usual range and tends to stick within an acre or so of the cabin when we're outside working, she only goes on serious walkabout if we leave her outside alone too long

I'm half-tempted to set up a game camera to record their clearing, just to get proof of what animals are causing them problems. If it should, by some chance, actually be the Ripster, then I'll deal with it... but I'm really skeptical that she somehow managed to get into the back of their truck by herself and dig through their snow-covered trash bags And what are they doing leaving trash out unsecured in the backcountry anyway

Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM

IF you have that kinda of camera I would Love to know what animals it picks up LOL Wonder if you could post the pics I love Wild Life pics!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Patio squares might work... good idea!

Ripley normally stays within our 1 sq mile "subdivision" which she considers her "home territory" because we've maintain the access easements and firebreaks since we've been the only folks out here for the past two years. Since we routinely travel in these areas, she thinks it's hers, even though we don't technically own the property... but she doesn't stray outside our usual range and tends to stick within an acre or so of the cabin when we're outside working, she only goes on serious walkabout if we leave her outside alone too long

I'm half-tempted to set up a game camera to record their clearing, just to get proof of what animals are causing them problems. If it should, by some chance, actually be the Ripster, then I'll deal with it... but I'm really skeptical that she somehow managed to get into the back of their truck by herself and dig through their snow-covered trash bags And what are they doing leaving trash out unsecured in the backcountry anyway
Sounds like coons...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I love the idea of people who move to the Alaskan bush and squawk about the DOMESTICATED animals. How do these people handle the actual WILDlife?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sounds like coons...
Would if we were farther south... surprising, they're one of the few critters who haven't made it to the Far North. My money is on ravens and squirrels since the bears should be sleeping

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love the idea of people who move to the Alaskan bush and squawk about the DOMESTICATED animals. How do these people handle the actual WILDlife?
Do NOT even get me started on that Let's just say that anyone who thinks an SKS 7.62 rifle is an appropriate defense weapon against moose or black and grizzly bears really really really needs to rethink their backcountry living decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs