U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,698,937 times

Advertisements

most danes are very sweet especially if properly socilized...BUT...danes are MASTIFS they were bred to work, they were bred to bring down wild boar, bear, wolves ect, this breed needs just as much excersize and mental stimulation as a GSD does...
while there always "pictured" as Lazy couch potates, they are anything BUT.. and any Dane owner will tell you such...a Dane who has not been properly excersized and mentally stimulated (and belive me he needs just as much excersize and mental stimulaiton as a GSD lol) is as destructive as Taz....
they are puppies untill aproximatly 3 years old, and can be INSANE chewers, veyr stubborn and elts face it...
whats harder to control?

a 60-80 lbs gsd
or a 120-200lb mastif?

danes cen be incredibly protective and some borderline agressive depending on the lines...

i highly agre with the others, quite frankly we dont have enough information as to exactly what your looking for beyond a "protective" dog, living situation, grooming, how much excersize your capable of giving each day, what kind of training your planning on putting in, rent/own, garden acess, ect...

but of the 2 breeds overall in my experience
(i am not currently involved but have been involved with danes for over 20 years, my aunt yused to breed and show them in the UK, ive owned danes (will again one day) and been involved in dane rescue....
ive also been owned by a GSD, my dads brother used to show and breed them in the UK (called alsatian in the UK) and have pet sitted for many...

if we make alot of assumtions and only have the 2 breeds to go by, a GSD will be cheaper on the pocket book overall, have a lnger lifespan and generally be easier to train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM

268 posts, read 611,401 times
I have a male GSD, 130 lbs, and a female GSD, 60 lbs. I agree with everything Sirron stated. GSDs need interaction, a "job" or "purpose" every day. They need ALOT of exercise. They will NOT be happy alone in your backyard and that will not do for exercise, either. This breed wants to be joined at the hip of its owner, and this breed is high maintenance and high energy. I dont recommend it unless you are physically strong, and are willing to devote alot of your time and energy to the dog, including formal training with an experienced handler. Having said that, I have been owned by dogs all my life, from beagles and Goldens, to GSDs, and all dogs, if made part of the family, will be loyal, and will alert you to trouble, whether it be a fire or a burglar. There are alot of more laid back breeds, and there are alot of gems on petfinder and at your local rescue, who can provide a good scary bark, companionship, and love. One more thing: I raised my male from a puppy, and adopted my female at 3 years of age. No matter at what age you get a new dog, it is alot of work and a challenge. Dogs potentially live to be 10, 12, 15 years old, so it is a lifetime committment. Take your time and do your homework, you'll find the best match for you and your lifestyle. Good Luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,975,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
I have a male GSD, 130 lbs, and a female GSD, 60 lbs. I agree with everything Sirron stated. GSDs need interaction, a "job" or "purpose" every day. They need ALOT of exercise. They will NOT be happy alone in your backyard and that will not do for exercise, either. This breed wants to be joined at the hip of its owner, and this breed is high maintenance and high energy. I dont recommend it unless you are physically strong, and are willing to devote alot of your time and energy to the dog, including formal training with an experienced handler. Having said that, I have been owned by dogs all my life, from beagles and Goldens, to GSDs, and all dogs, if made part of the family, will be loyal, and will alert you to trouble, whether it be a fire or a burglar. There are alot of more laid back breeds, and there are alot of gems on petfinder and at your local rescue, who can provide a good scary bark, companionship, and love. One more thing: I raised my male from a puppy, and adopted my female at 3 years of age. No matter at what age you get a new dog, it is alot of work and a challenge. Dogs potentially live to be 10, 12, 15 years old, so it is a lifetime committment. Take your time and do your homework, you'll find the best match for you and your lifestyle. Good Luck!
Agree, except if you're adopting from a rescue a dog shouldn't be a challenge unless it's just recently been pulled from a shelter. The dogs we have go to their new homes fully trained so that they're NOT a challenge. Too many dogs are dumped in shelters because they're not trained, so IMO having them trained before they leave is helping lessen the chance that the adoption won't work out.

What in the world is your male mixed with??? He's WAY outside breed standard for weight. They should top out at 88 pounds max for a male.

United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard

'Size/Weight

Males: Height at the wither 60 cm to 65 cm
Weight 30 kg to 40 kg.

Females: Height at the wither 55 cm to 60 cm
Weight 22 kg - 32 kg'

40 kg = 88.18 pounds

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM

128 posts, read 191,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
If you do I wanted to know if they a good dog to have since I am a single. I do have my family over alot for visits and stuff. Also are there great dogs when you need protection. Like for an example if someone breaks into my house will the great dane/ german shephard will be brave enough to chase them off? Are the vet bills high? how many cups of food a day would you feed?
For what it is worth, I saw a show about an x-burgler who was giving safety tips for people to avoid being robbed. He said that a house with ANY dog is a pass for crooks. He said even a small yappy dog. As they are alarm systems and its just as easy to go to a dog-free home. So really any dog would be good for protection based on this claim from an x-criminal.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM

5,545 posts, read 1,804,701 times
To the OP: I recommend you watch these informative Dogs 101 videos on the Great Dane and German Shepherd to determine if either one of these dogs are a fit for you.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 AM

268 posts, read 611,401 times
Mrs 1885, I laughed when reading your post, because you are so right, and we are aware of the breed standard. He is full GSD and very big boned. I am stopped constantly on walks by people who ask me if he is part horse. The police have stopped me and asked if dont I know I cant have livestock within city limits? When we first saw him at 5 weeks of age, I was expecting a small, cuddly little puppy, but he was a big, sturdy sumo pup of 16 lbs already. The Vet says his skeleton is very large. Our female is perfect as to the standard, although when walking them together, she looks like a little midget. And for more humor, I should add, that the male is a cream puff, as laid back and loving as can be, while the little girl is ON IT, barks when she hears a car door close on the next street, lol. But his large size is intimidating, so she does the alerting, and he quietly brings up the rear, if needed. Which he rarely deems necessary. One look at him is enough for most ill intentioned people, but the truth be known, he is a lover.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,975,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
Mrs 1885, I laughed when reading your post, because you are so right, and we are aware of the breed standard. He is full GSD and very big boned. I am stopped constantly on walks by people who ask me if he is part horse. The police have stopped me and asked if dont I know I cant have livestock within city limits? When we first saw him at 5 weeks of age, I was expecting a small, cuddly little puppy, but he was a big, sturdy sumo pup of 16 lbs already. The Vet says his skeleton is very large. Our female is perfect as to the standard, although when walking them together, she looks like a little midget. And for more humor, I should add, that the male is a cream puff, as laid back and loving as can be, while the little girl is ON IT, barks when she hears a car door close on the next street, lol. But his large size is intimidating, so she does the alerting, and he quietly brings up the rear, if needed. Which he rarely deems necessary. One look at him is enough for most ill intentioned people, but the truth be known, he is a lover.
Big boned for sure! I was going to ask if his daddy was a horse. Good Lord!!! LOL

Funny how the little ones are so often the aggressive ones when alerting! My chis make me crazy! They go nuts barking and snarling at the door. I mean really, you're 4 pounds. You can't fit a burglars big toe in your mouth. What exactly are your plans?? The pitties are feeling froggy if they actually lift their head off the couch to look in the general direction of the front door. Of the big dogs in the house - 8 of them, mostly pitties - only ONE will honestly do a thing about someone coming in the house. The others will either pee on themselves and hide or jump all over the 'new friend' that's come to visit. Ugh! But in all honesty, that's the way I prefer it. I've always felt it's MY job to protect them. It's their job to alert me to someone being here if I don't catch it first. Once they've alerted I expect them to step back and let us take over.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,698,937 times
lol, same in our house...the best alarm system in the universe is a couple of teeny tiny dogs!

i have the best of both worlds...
2 teeny tiny dogs as an alarm system, and one (eventually) quite large bully breed whos more than happy to makesure everything is secure from behind the couch (or when threat level has been celcared nill more than happy to deter repeat visitations by doing his wiggle butt happy dance and giving people puppy kisses...

yup my "big scary" one hides when the 2 little ones start barking! ooooo run form the "scary" dog LMAO...
visually hes going to be quite intimidatding...but i have more faith in the cresties backing up thier bark than i do in him even trying to act scary LOL!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,796,142 times
I got my GSD pup last year, she is now 13 months and about 80 lbs, I expect her to grow a bit more. It's just the two of us, in a small cabin, the small space isn't a problem, as long as I get her plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. I couldn't be happier that I chose the breed, she is such a sweetheart, and turning into a great dog. She was potty and crate trained by 5 months old, and we are now reaching the stage where I am prepping the house to leave her alone in it during the day rather than her crate.

It has been, and will continue to be a lot of work for me though, but having a good dog is well worth the time and energy. I started with the humane society, she now has three diplomas on the wall. Now that she has the basics down and is losing a bit of her puppy attitude, we are going to start working with a breed specific trainer. She has LOTS of energy, it'[s difficult this time of year because it gets dark within an hour of me getting home from work, but i race home and we walk until it is too dark(we have no streetlights out here in the boonies.) I also am constantly buying learning toys, to occupy her mind and strengthen her confidence and problem solving skills. We also go to the dog park as often as possible, but it is 45 minutes away.

Besides the dog park, I also drive her into town so we can walk through downtown. It's all about socialization. I need her to be used to walking around with other people and dogs and bright lights and such. A lot of people will comment or compliment her, even ask to pet her and say hi, but there are people who are obviously scared sh!#less by her, I even notice people crossing the street as we approach. GSDs are big, intimidating dogs, with a very powerful bark, so be ready for people to be scared. i have experienced people literally yell at me to go back on a small hiking trail they were so frightened, so be prepared for negative reactions. Just because I know she is a great dog, doesn't mean everyone else does too.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs