Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,015 times

Advertisements

if you dont mind can you let me know what is the name of the vest you go to thanks sooo much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
I got a discover credit card with a high credit limit.
That card is only used for vet bills, and nothing else.
That was why I got it because I couldn't wade through all the bull with pet insurance companies.

Bob.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
they paid for the best coverage...then ended up haivn gto fight to get things that were supposed to be covered paid for...
this happend with friends and other pet insurance.

so what i did was look at costs...
and then i opend a high yeild savings account...
every month however much i would have spent on pet insurance goes into the savings account (about $20 per critter) this is my animal emergency fun.
i have a care credit card for immediate needs if the accnt is low ect...or ill pay it on the care credit and use the savings account to pay the card balance down...but thats all the care credit and that account are used for.
at least with this method theres no restrictions on WHAT i need done, i dont have to worry that something i need for my dog isnt covered despite me spending all that money every month ect...
^ THIS is the best insurance, self-insurance.

I've heard quite a few stories from friends, family, co-workers, neighbors. Not worth the headache. Just this past week, this subject was discussed on a radio talk show, and the guest (don't remember who) suggested the best thing to do is self-insurance. I do the same.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:41 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I use VPI. It was recommended by a Vet who I knew personally in MI (basically grew up in the same neighborhood), so I believe he told me honestly what was the best at that time. Granted that was three years ago.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I got a discover credit card with a high credit limit.
That card is only used for vet bills, and nothing else.
That was why I got it because I couldn't wade through all the bull with pet insurance companies.

Bob.
There is no bull. You scan the bills, email them to the company and they send you a check. If they need any more information, they email you to let you know. It's 1000% easier than dealing with human insurance companies.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
When I got my most recent dog I looked into pet insurance. I am terrified that a major medical procedure will force me to make the worst decision of my life. But I kept reading horror stories of companies not willing to pay. That with the outrageous cost kept me away.

But I may go back and get a cheap policy that will cover a huge expense, if one exists. I can handle the shots, regular maintenance etc but if Terra end up with $10,000-$20,000 worth of bills that would be a horrible situation

Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
When I got my most recent dog I looked into pet insurance. I am terrified that a major medical procedure will force me to make the worst decision of my life. But I kept reading horror stories of companies not willing to pay. That with the outrageous cost kept me away.

But I may go back and get a cheap policy that will cover a huge expense, if one exists. I can handle the shots, regular maintenance etc but if Terra end up with $10,000-$20,000 worth of bills that would be a horrible situation
Dave, we pay $280/year for each of our dogs, who are not quite 2 and 3 years old. We have VPI and have never ever been questioned about a claim, not even an ongoing physical therapy thing we've had with our girl who keeps injuring a rear leg muscle doing Indy-car sprints outside. They are wonderful to deal with, and we have always recouped more than we've paid out for the policies.

The reason we committed to doing this with these two dogs is because of how we lost our Hallie two years ago. Our former dogs never had insurance. Hallie ended up in Canine ICU for a week. She had round the clock care and a surgery that didn't save her life. We were incredibly lucky that we had the money to continue her care for that awful week. We cried when we thought of people who had no choice but to let their dogs go because they couldn't pay the vet bills. Our bill was $15,000 when it was all over. That's why I still drive a 2001 Jeep, and probably always will, but I am so grateful we were able to pull out all the stops for Hallie. But I never want to pay an ER vet hospital that kind of money ever again.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Dave, we pay $280/year for each of our dogs, who are not quite 2 and 3 years old. We have VPI and have never ever been questioned about a claim, not even an ongoing physical therapy thing we've had with our girl who keeps injuring a rear leg muscle doing Indy-car sprints outside. They are wonderful to deal with, and we have always recouped more than we've paid out for the policies.

The reason we committed to doing this with these two dogs is because of how we lost our Hallie two years ago. Our former dogs never had insurance. Hallie ended up in Canine ICU for a week. She had round the clock care and a surgery that didn't save her life. We were incredibly lucky that we had the money to continue her care for that awful week. We cried when we thought of people who had no choice but to let their dogs go because they couldn't pay the vet bills. Our bill was $15,000 when it was all over. That's why I still drive a 2001 Jeep, and probably always will, but I am so grateful we were able to pull out all the stops for Hallie. But I never want to pay an ER vet hospital that kind of money ever again.
Thanks again Tina. I called around and asked if there was pet insurance available similar to "catastrophic" medical insurance for humans. In other words a very high deductible that will cover any huge medical expenses We can handle a $2,000 deductible if the coverage is affordable, we would really have to make a hard decision should it reach your levels and I am terrified at that thought.

Unfortunately I have had no success at finding such a plan which is surprising, I think there is an obvious market for it for people like me who are on the fence. But $270 is doable, I'll look into VPI. If you have the time please send me a link

Thanks
Dave

Update: I checked into VPI and they are by far the most affordable I have found Thank you so much. The plan that looks the best for Terra costs 24.41 and it pays out a max of $14,000/year. The lower cost option only saves $6/month and it maxes at $7,000. The higher plan covers "heredity coverage" and offers "double the benefits". What is that exactly?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-19-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks again Tina. I called around and asked if there was pet insurance available similar to "catastrophic" medical insurance for humans. In other words a very high deductible that will cover any huge medical expenses We can handle a $2,000 deductible if the coverage is affordable, we would really have to make a hard decision should it reach your levels and I am terrified at that thought.

Unfortunately I have had no success at finding such a plan which is surprising, I think there is an obvious market for it for people like me who are on the fence. But $270 is doable, I'll look into VPI. If you have the time please send me a link

Thanks
Dave

Update: I checked into VPI and they are by far the most affordable I have found Thank you so much. The plan that looks the best for Terra costs 24.41 and it pays out a max of $14,000/year. The lower cost option only saves $6/month and it maxes at $7,000. The higher plan covers "heredity coverage" and offers "double the benefits". What is that exactly?
Dave, you're welcome. I don't know what that "double the benefits" means. Call them and ask. they're very nice to talk to. Is that $24.41 a per month charge? Cuz if that's annual, I"m going to faint! I got major medical for our two, but not the heredity coverage. Maybe I figured wrong, but being Heinz 57's, I don't even know of a vet could ever pinpoint an ailment as being hereditary.If I had a GSD or a Golden or any other purebred dog with known breed issues, I"d get that coverage.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Dave, you're welcome. I don't know what that "double the benefits" means. Call them and ask. they're very nice to talk to. Is that $24.41 a per month charge? Cuz if that's annual, I"m going to faint! I got major medical for our two, but not the heredity coverage. Maybe I figured wrong, but being Heinz 57's, I don't even know of a vet could ever pinpoint an ailment as being hereditary.If I had a GSD or a Golden or any other purebred dog with known breed issues, I"d get that coverage.
Yeah sorry, $24.41/month which turns out to be about what you were paying a I believe

Hopefully this info you have shared with help the opening poser and anyone else reading this. Great to know they have actually paid out, another reason I have put this off is reading stories where they did not so what's the use of having a paying for the coverage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs