U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:13 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,972,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsryan14 View Post
yes i know we don't think anyone would take him in and there is no way i am putting him down. I have no clue what all of a sudden started the aggressiveness because they always play, so i was shocked. Were getting to the vet tomorrow, but for now he is okay, eating and drinking as normal. ill write back with what the vet says.
Are they both neutered? Hormones wreak havoc on dog's behavior. Even if you have them neutered now (if they're not already) it'll take a good month for the hormones to be out of their system.

I've got two dogs here that can't be allowed to play with any dogs other than each other. They both get carried away when playing and start fights. One is fine with the other dogs inside, but as soon as they're out in the fenced yard the play gets carried away. The other is just a very dominant female and I can't trust her with anyone other than the small dogs and the pit/dane mix. So she's in seclusion in my room with him most of the time. I feel bad for her, but she's done it to herself with her attitude. I'll move dogs around during the day - put the others in my room or in their crates or out back to play - and she comes in the rest of the house to play and get her food and water. It takes work and you've got to be aware of where they are at all times, but it can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,691,083 times
some dogs like children just get overly excited and that ecvcitment can turn to agression very eaisly...

if your willing to work with the younger dog and never let the 2 dogs be alone together and seriously supervise playtime it can work...
but it will be that...work...whenthere toghether theres no relax on your part...

the younger dog may not "mean" to get agressive, but the hormones the age, the exictment and suddenly its a brawl...especially if the other dog is a dominant perosnlity in itself.

glad he'll be getting to see the vet keep us update.
for future reference if vet bill worry is a problem you might want to look itno care-credit, or opening another low interest credit card thats SPECIFICALLY for pet emergencies, or setting up a seperate savings account specifically for emergencies (i have both lol)

Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM

473 posts, read 717,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
They can't stitch bites, so the only thing they can really do is put him on anti-biotics to prevent infection
i don't know what vet you use, but around here they will IF it requires it so i would not say they can't. a few years back i had a beagle and a part lab/part akita that used to fight all the time. the beagle always got torn up and the vet would sew her back up. one time she had to get 75 stitches to close 1 wound, she was ripped open all the way from her spine down her side and most the way back up the other side! both dogs were spayed, but they just never could get along until we finally gave up and put the beagle in the house full time.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,972,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
i don't know what vet you use, but around here they will IF it requires it so i would not say they can't. a few years back i had a beagle and a part lab/part akita that used to fight all the time. the beagle always got torn up and the vet would sew her back up. one time she had to get 75 stitches to close 1 wound, she was ripped open all the way from her spine down her side and most the way back up the other side! both dogs were spayed, but they just never could get along until we finally gave up and put the beagle in the house full time.
Wounds should never be stitched because it closes up any bacteria in the body. It should be left open so that it can drain. If it's incredibly serious they may staple a few areas but that area should still be open to allow for drainage. So yes, they may 'stitch' an area but I've never seen one stitch it completely closed when it's from another animal attacking it. There's always at least an area that can drain.

My concern would be that you had two dogs that you knew fought and the one was always getting severely injured and you allowed it to continue. You could have signed that dog's death sentence. Way to go. There's no excuse for dogs to fight 'all the time'.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,637,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
Yes they will stitch a large gaping wound but they should (and do) also put in a drain to safegaurd against infection.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM

473 posts, read 717,332 times
the first couple fights were not serious and we let them go at it because usually once dominance is established the fighting stops. once they continued, we put up a new pen and seperated them. that did not work as the lab mix learned to houdini her way out of her pen and into the other one. this is when we brought the beagle in to keep them seperate. and before you go off about pennign dogs, keep in mind that EACH pen was roughly 50x100 so they each had more room outside than we did in the house.

you never said anything about a drain nor did i. wounds can be stitched with a drain in place if it is needed, though it is not always necessary if the wound is cleaned properly and treated with antibiotics.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,278,310 times
I'm not recommending that you avoid the vet if you have the means, but there was a time when this would not have been treated at all. No prophylaxis, no stitches, no debriding, no nothing apart from a rinse with the hose.

The chances are pretty good that the dog will be fine with or without veterinary attention. Swelling and palpable heat is normal after facial trauma, and subsidence of the swelling over a few days is also normal. If the swelling doesn't get better pretty quickly there may be a problem, but as long as everything is staying clean and measurably returning to normal the dog is probably going to be fine.

In other words, if he looks a lot better on Tuesday you may be able to do the vet thing over the phone.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,006,742 times
I can't really give you advice as I can't see the dog and the severity of its injuries.

However I had two Jack Russell Terriers both entire males, when they reached about 6 months old, I couldn't turn my back or they would fight.

I used to shower them down and use an anticeptic wash (don't get me wrong I had to do this twice). I had to watch that any treats they ate immediately and not hide anything. Food went to the floor simultaneously and removed simultaneously. They did settle down together but during that period I kept them separate when unsupervised.

TBH they were flaming hardwork, I had an 18 month old baby at the time and it was hubby who brought the pups home. Shortly after bring the pups home the ex up and left - nice one

I have to agree no play fighting, plenty of long doggy walks try to burn them out so when they come home they flop.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 370 times
my 8month old pitbull was walkin when another pitbull jumped on him he hot a whole in the top of his nose his eyes swollen and the bottom of the neck has a whole were the dog had bitting him.. im scard because he is like my kid and care bout him alot what should i do all he want to do is sleep im freaking out please help me

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM

3,912 posts, read 2,548,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshelby View Post
my 8month old pitbull was walkin when another pitbull jumped on him he hot a whole in the top of his nose his eyes swollen and the bottom of the neck has a whole were the dog had bitting him.. im scard because he is like my kid and care bout him alot what should i do all he want to do is sleep im freaking out please help me
Take him to the vet NOW. It sounds like it's infected and it needs antibiotics. It will only get worse. Please get your dog the medical help he needs. I'm guessing he's in a lot of pain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or