U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,980,891 times

Advertisements

Looks like we've got 9 more fosters coming in!!!!

A rescue I've worked with a lot was called about 2 female chis (my weakness) that have to be out of their home today. The lady that owns them is going into the hospital tomorrow and her family doesn't want her dogs. Such a nice family. Checked with hubby for formality sake and confirmed that yes, we will always make room for the little chi kids. So they're coming in. This is the same rescue that took in the Siamese kitty girl my daughter found under the hood of her truck. We've been fostering her for a couple months but they've got a foster home opening up for her after Christmas so she'll be heading to a kitty foster. I like cats........when they belong to other people. Adore my two, but I'm just not a cat fan. Love them, just not in my house!

Then I've got 7 little 11 day old mixed breeds coming in. Someone said the mother died and they don't know why which leaves me even more worried about the puppies. She's been giving the puppies away to any idiot that calls, regardless of whether or not they know how to care for them. So I talked to the same Director of the same rescue and my friend that's living with me offered to foster and she said yes, she'd take them. I go pick them up at 4PM and run them home. I'll get them settled and then run to Murfreesboro to get the chis and then head home. Oh, the puppies are 3/4 pit and 1/4 heeler. We're hoping we can find a nursing momma dumped in a shelter some place with no puppies that we can pull to care for them. Fingers crossed!

Photos to come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
so much for closing down the rescue.....

hope you find you a momma dog.... that's a LOT of babies to be bottle feeding!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
Mrs, I love you for announcing 9 more dogs coming into your house, including 7 puppies 11 days old, with a . You are an angel.
I guess it was just too quiet around there!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
so much for closing down the rescue.....

hope you find you a momma dog.... that's a LOT of babies to be bottle feeding!
In all fairness, all I'm doing is fostering. I've only got the two bratty chihuahuas that are technically my rescue's dogs right now. Rocky and Savannah belong to 911 Pet Rescue in Centerpoint, IN. The two chi girls and the 7 puppies coming in belong to All About Animals Rescue and Adoption in Smyrna, TN. They're the ones footing the huge bills associated with the dogs. All I provide is a roof and care. 911 PR provides the food for all of her dogs and mine and the new fosters coming in, as well as the monthly preventatives for her two dogs. If it weren't for her generosity there's no way we could afford to help the way we do. She's wonderful! And I certainly couldn't afford to fully vet nine more dogs, especially seven puppies that will need vet care from day one (three series of vaccs instead of just the one for adults) as well as the spay and neuter. They are the heroes here, not me. All I did was get the word out to wonderful people I trust and offer to put a roof over their head. It's times like this that I really love working in rescue. The way people come together to help not only the animals, but also each other is out of this world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Mrs, I love you for announcing 9 more dogs coming into your house, including 7 puppies 11 days old, with a . You are an angel.
I guess it was just too quiet around there!
Oh, there's nothing better than being able to help out these poor dogs that are in such horrible situations because of stupid humans. I feel like I"m trying to make up for the terrible situation my species has put them in. I can't do much, but I'll do what I can for as many as I can. It's a selfish thing really. It makes ME feel good. I don't see it as anything I should be praised for. The rescues supporting them financially are the ones that deserve the praise.

If anyone here hasn't offered to foster and is in a position to do so, please contact a local rescue and look into it. Honestly, there's nothing in the world like knowing that because of you an animal will have a safe place until it's forever home is found. It's just heartwarming to feel like you're making a difference to some of the most innocent beings on the planet. And THAT is a HUGE !!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Puppies are here. I'm not too hopeful for them. Apparently mom died of prolapsed uterus. They called to find a vet to do the surgery but no one would let them make payments and they couldn't afford it so they just left her with the puppies to die. Nice to know she meant so much to them. Gah!!!!! They said they walked in today and found the puppies nursing on a dead mother. So nice that she suffered for a week.

The puppies are probably only a week to ten days old at the most. A few have eyes just now starting to open. One female has a very bloody stool but the others all seem normal. They're small and seemed to have not been pottied in quite some time. They're very inactive and were covered in fleas and smelled like death.

We've bathed them in dish liquid to kill the fleas and try to remove some of the dead smell, but they are still pretty rough smelling. We got them towel dried as good as we could and put them in a crate near a heater to warm up. Fed them but they didn't want to eat much. Pottied them and put them back down to snuggle. Will try again in an hour or two.

Have 5 girls and three boys. Went to pick up the 7 puppies and the girl said a lady she was going to give one of the puppies to didn't sound trustworthy so she gave it to us instead. I guess that's a good thing at least.

My heart just breaks for momma dog. RIP girl. We'll do all we can to save your babies.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,786,959 times
Wow...this breaks my heart. Good for you! Merry Christmas.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
oh my goodness poor little mites...
by "smell like death" is it parvo smell?! the bloody poop and the "smell like death" are my go to descriptions for parvo (especially the smell...its so distinct)

obviously you know what your doing, but for anyone else that might be tempted to try and foster a litter like this, parvo is a very high risk and easily spread, and very common in pups form bad situations.

poor little bits who do people just let this happen...
how could a VET of all people send this dog home in this condition, i know vets arnt charity cases but at minimum they could have offered to take the litter after she died...something to say hey...were sorry your in a bad situation we cant realy help YOU...but we can help the dog and these babies.
gah!
at least these babies ended up in the best hands.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
I don't know where you find the strength to do it, but I'm grateful that you do.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,027,816 times
The more I know about people, the more I love dogs...

Thank you for rescuing these babies...my heart is breaking for their mama dog but now that they are in your hands, they at least have a chance. Thank you for being willing to give them that chance.

I think when Jesus said, "when you have done it unto the least of these," it was not just the lowest or loneliest of people he was speaking of...

We have been given dominion over the animals. That does not mean abuse them.

Instead, you are showing mercy, compassion, grace and love. A great many lessons many others (of us) can learn from, for you see...actions speak louder than words...

Your actions of grace, mercy, compassion and love speak volumes over anything that could be said. You my dear are walking the walk...NOT just talking the talk.

You are the real deal. Thank you

Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM

12,388 posts, read 31,350,745 times
I think Hookworms! They stink too!

They are sooo cute LOL

I had a vet tell me he be happy to put my dog to sleep BUT wouldnt do a C-Section cause I didnt have the money right then!! Took her to another vet ...was to late to save the pups but he saved moma! Some vets just think only about the money GRRR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs