U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 PM

78 posts, read 367,286 times

Advertisements

My son's dog, a shiba-inu, is very anxious...he trembles and shakes, has his tail down, and hides and scratches holes all over the house. He now goes under the bed and scratches the headboard of the bed. He is on prozac, but to be honest, I don't see it working. He has also bitten me and my daughter-in-law. One thing that triggers this behaviour is my son's other dog, another shiba-inu. This dog is younger by a couple of years and is agressive and sometimes turns on the older dog and bites him or chases him. My son also seems to think that another thing that triggers this anxiety in the older dog is too many people in the house (like tonight at their house for a Christmas Eve dinner) and too much noise. Tonight the two dogs started fighting, the younger one bit my DIL and the younger dog was left outside (where he just barked the whole evening) and the older dog was shaking and trembling and scratching at the walls. Needless to say...it was not a nice way to spend Christmas Eve dinner.

Has anybody else ever had this experience with a dog? I know they love both dogs and they are part of their family...but they have 2 little kids in the house and I don't think it is a healthy way to live. I'm afraid one day one of the dogs will bite my grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
You're instincts are right. I don't like what I've learned about this breed since reading your post. (Relevant quotes below.) It's not a safe breed if not owned by a strong leader who knows how to properly train dogs.

If your son insists on keeping one or both of these dogs, he MUST hire an dog behaviorist to come to his home, do an evaluation and offer guidance. With young children in the house, he can't delay.

If he doesn't bother hiring a behaviorist and keeps the dogs, and your grandchildren are bitten, he won't only an irresponsible dog owner but an irresponsible parent as well. I knew a family whose dog attacked their children regularly. Their children had many disfiguring scars on their faces. But the family never got rid of the dog. If I had known them at the time the dog was alive, I would have called CYS and I don't know why their teachers never reported them.

You're going to have to be forceful with him in your encouragement to do the right thing.

Read below:

Quote:
At times, the Shiba can show dog aggression [influenced by the breed's strong prey drive]....The Shiba Inu is best in a home without other small dogs or young children.

Shiba Inu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
He will not back down from a challenge and will often fight back when he perceives a threat. Because of this, many owners face aggression issues with their Shiba including food aggression, dog to dog aggression, and people aggression.

Shiba Inu Personality -Good, Bad, & Quirky
Quote:
A Shiba Inu is a Drama Queen
Sephy will whine, mope and act like it is the end of the world when he is unhappy about something (e.g. wearing a harness).

Woe be to you if your Shiba gets hurt or even just thinks that he is hurt.

Sephy acts like he is close to death’s door even for small things like getting grass stuck between his teeth.

Woe be to you, woe be to your vet, and woe be to anyone who tries to help.

Shibas are extremely touchy when in this state, and may snap and bite at anyone who comes near them.

Shiba Inu Personality -Good, Bad, & Quirky
Quote:
Separation Anxiety is.....most commonly caused by lack of exercise. This breed expresses their anxiety through excessive barking or screaming and very destructive chewing.

Shiba Inu | Temperament

Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
There are two Shiba Inu rescues that serve Pennsylvania.

Mid Atlantic Shiba Rescue - Home

NYC Shiba Rescue — Shiba Inu Rescue, Fostering, and Adoption in and around New York City

Even if he's not ready to give his dogs up to a rescue, you might be able to get advice from the rescue on how to best resolve these problems.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
i have to agree, in this case theres a few options.
option #1 keep both dogs. this otion is going to be the absolutly HARDEST thing in the world as they have a dominant young dog with no reservations about biting people (whether in play or not, this behaviour is DANGEROUS!) and an odler dog whos just a bag of nerves. the older dogs nervousness is very obviously agrivated by the younger dogs behaviour...hich indicates theres also no leadership in the house...the younger dog is biddding for top spot, the older dog isnt sure what to do and the humans arnt taking anykind of leadership role in this which makes the younger dog MORE dominearing, the older dog MORE nervous, fights break out which is going to get someone seriously injured eventually...and your right the kids are at risk.

the best course of action in this option: crate and rotate the dogs, 1 dog in a dog safe room the other wiht the family and alternate out throughout the day, these dogs shoudl NEVER EVER be alone together, and should NEVER be loose together when theres kids around!
they also need to work extensivly on training on the younger dog and confidence building excersizes on the older dog

option 2: keep 1 of the dogs...
this isnt easy either...
both are going to take work,
keeping the younger dog theyve got a SERIOUS amount of work to put in establishing a trusting bond with this already dominant dog, he would need EXTENSIvE training and even then i would NEVER leave him alone with the kids.
the nervous dog is going to need extensive trust excersizes and LOTS of confidence building, however it sounds like removing the younger dog from the home could help the nervous dog and personally the way you describe the 2 i think the nervous dog has a better chance of becomming a better family pet than the dominiant youngster.

3: rehome them both.
i dont like to suggest this because it sounds mean...
but unless this family are willing to get VERY serious, im talking training classes with BOTH dogs, lots of excersize and constant supervision of the dogs anywhere neer the kids...this is simply a situation that will end in heartbreak and the dogs will suffer due to lack of owner knowledge and investment.

there is aboslutly a serious bite risk to the kids in this situation.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,818,620 times
We have a plott hound and her behavior is very similar. Except she is great around kids. With adults she barks and with loud noises she will run to a corner, under a bed or even into the tub and hide. She shakes like a 8.0 earthquake.
It took her almost a month to stop barking at me. She had no problems with my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or