U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2016, 06:06 PM
 
3,455 posts, read 2,293,463 times
Reputation: 6992

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I had to put my 13 year old Boston Terrier to sleep a couple of weeks ago due to right sided heart failure. She never did any coughing, and I never even could tell anything was wrong until I noticed one day her breathing seemed a bit labored, and her appetite decreased. She could inhale just fine, but it seemed she struggled to push the air back out. After x-rays we learned she had fluid around her lungs.

The vet put her on Vetmedin and furosemide, but unfortunately it just didn't seem to help her. In her final days she stopped eating all together, and forcing the medicines on her just seemed to make her feel worse. I knew the fluid build up would eventually cause her to suffocate to death, and I was not going to allow that to happen, so I made the tough decision to put my baby girl to sleep.


This is the second dog I have lost to heart failure, the first was a Border Collie, also 13. It was the same way with her, no symptoms at all until suddenly one day there was labored breathing and no appetite. When they stop eating foods that they normally love, you know there's a serious problem.
Very, very sorry for your loss, Southernaturelover. It's tough enough to lose one, but two... We lost our boy dog (collie mix) in 2009 and now one of my cats has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He isn't in heart failure yet, but the cardiologist said that is the path he is on. He is on some of the same medications my dog was on. We are spoiling him right now, knowing his days are limited.

You did the right thing for your Boston Terrier girl, as painful as it was. Last February, one of my elderly cats developed labored breathing (belly breathing). He had fluid around his lungs and the vet said it was just a matter of time and to watch him closely for signs of distress. When he started flaring his nostrils while breathing, my husband and I made the tough decision. I just could not stand the thought of him going to into full respiratory distress and suffering. It was clear that's where he was headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Floribama
14,732 posts, read 31,167,632 times
Reputation: 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Very, very sorry for your loss, Southernaturelover. It's tough enough to lose one, but two... We lost our boy dog (collie mix) in 2009 and now one of my cats has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He isn't in heart failure yet, but the cardiologist said that is the path he is on. He is on some of the same medications my dog was on. We are spoiling him right now, knowing his days are limited.

You did the right thing for your Boston Terrier girl, as painful as it was. Last February, one of my elderly cats developed labored breathing (belly breathing). He had fluid around his lungs and the vet said it was just a matter of time and to watch him closely for signs of distress. When he started flaring his nostrils while breathing, my husband and I made the tough decision. I just could not stand the thought of him going to into full respiratory distress and suffering. It was clear that's where he was headed.
Yes, "belly breathing" is exactly how I would describe Molly's, I could see her having to push the air out with her belly.

What was really frustrating is that she had scratched her eye about two weeks before all of that started, and she had to have her third eyelid sewn shut to make a flap for it to heal, and she also had to wear a head cone. She had a bad cataract in the other eye so she was pretty much blind. Well, just about the time her eye finally healed is when her heart failure got worse, I think she got to go two days without wearing that stupid cone before passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 02:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,188 times
Reputation: 15
My 5 years old Jack Russell was diagnoses in november 2016 with a heart murmur and heart failure. He was put on vetmedin 1.25mg in the morning and 2.5 at night. Also 5mg of benazepril twice daily and furosemide 10mg twice daily. His heart is three time the normal size. He vet gave him 1 to 6 months to live. We saw another vet, same prognosis. At his last vet visit, she found with an X-ray that he has fluid around his heart now. She referred us to a cardiologist. He wants to run 1500$ worth of tests before making a decision about his meds. I asked him if it will make a difference in the outcome. He says I can't say without those tests. He also told me that his liver is bigger now. I don't know what to do. He is not suffering. He seems happy. His tail is waggling. He eats still but less that he did three months ago. He drinks. He pees. He poops. I am so confused. I would spend every dime I have if he could tell me that he could cure him but he says he can't. It might give him a bit more time but the disease will win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,229 times
Reputation: 11
My Toby was a 15 years old Maltese/Shih Tzu. I noticed that about a year ago he had a cough. I took him into the Vet and he told me that his throat would get narrow because he was over weight. The Vet told me to put him on a diet and he would stop the coughing. I did cut back on his food. He wasn't loosing any weight. I got to noticing that he was getting heavier and his belly was so full and hard. He would walk a little and just fall out. I noticed that it was getting very difficult for him to breath. I took him into the Vet on Feb 6, 2017. Vet told me that he had a heart murmur and he was in congested heart failure and his lungs and stomach was full of fluid. There was nothing that they could do for him at that point. I had to make the hardest decision in my life, to put my sweet baby to sleep. My heart hurts so much. There is an empty place in my heart that was only for him. It has been 2 weeks now, I still miss him so much. I cry a lot!!! He was my baby!!! I don't know if this hurt will ever stop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,115 times
Reputation: 11
Can anyone help me ? I have had my little puppy a week today at his first vet visit he has been diagnosed with a grade 6 heart murmur (the breeders said he had been vet checked ..obviously not - lesson learnt) i have beyond my better judgement as we are so attached to him and were worried if he was returned what his outcome would be to have the heart scan at 300 ! has anyone else experienced this with a young pup ? I'm so worried and concerned for him and his future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
 
29,965 posts, read 47,143,277 times
Reputation: 15873
We had a min schnauzer about 15 yrs ago--have one now as well...

Our min schnauzer started "fainting" -- he was older, probably 12 or so--and a little overweight but no heart murmur that we knew about prior to that...
He didn't do well--
We had to put him to sleep a few weeks later--
He was a sweet boy...called him Boo Didley...cause we got him around Halloween...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,229 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by psangs View Post
my toby was a 15 years old maltese/shih tzu. I noticed that about a year ago he had a cough. I took him into the vet and he told me that his throat would get narrow because he was over weight. The vet told me to put him on a diet and he would stop the coughing. I did cut back on his food. He wasn't loosing any weight. I got to noticing that he was getting heavier and his belly was so full and hard. He would walk a little and just fall out. I noticed that it was getting very difficult for him to breath. I took him into the vet on feb 6, 2017. Vet told me that he had a heart murmur and he was in congested heart failure and his lungs and stomach was full of fluid. There was nothing that they could do for him at that point. I had to make the hardest decision in my life, to put my sweet baby to sleep. My heart hurts so much. There is an empty place in my heart that was only for him. It has been 2 weeks now, i still miss him so much. I cry a lot!!! He was my baby!!! I don't know if this hurt will ever stop...
after being diagnosis
on feb 6th, he was to far gone. They had to put him to sleep because there wasn't anything they could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,025 times
Reputation: 11
Default Mitral Valve Displasure & Heart Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmum View Post
Can anyone help me ? I have had my little puppy a week today at his first vet visit he has been diagnosed with a grade 6 heart murmur (the breeders said he had been vet checked ..obviously not - lesson learnt) i have beyond my better judgement as we are so attached to him and were worried if he was returned what his outcome would be to have the heart scan at 300 ! has anyone else experienced this with a young pup ? I'm so worriPupped and concerned for him and his future.
My son's puppy was born 9-30-15 and lived till March 13th 2017 about 1 1/2 years.

1st Vet didn't notice a murmur - In May 2016 she got sick.

2nd Vet - Said to take her home she was going to die in hospic.

3rd Vet - Took her to Angel Memorial in Boston to confirm MVD. did test and put her on Meds.

She was on
Vetmedin (generic brand) .05 mil - 3x a day
Spirlactone 25MG - 1 1/2 tabs - 1x24hr
Enalapril 25MG - 1 1/2 tabs - every 12 hrs
Flusomide 80mg - 4 x a day.

My vet played with the meds. from May till Feb. 25th. We had to keep her pretty quiet as she could not play with other dogs because she would pass out because her little heart could not pump the blood fast enough. She would play with our other dog who is a lab is 10yrs. We thought she was enjoying life until the the enlarged abdomen. She was coughing more often, vomiting up fluid. We took her to the vet and made the decision. I have been crying ever since. She was very cute, she made us very happy. We miss her dearly.

Good luck with your puppy. It is a very difficult decision to make all round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,753 times
Reputation: 23
well its been 1year now since my pom has been on meds and we just switched from lassix to toresimide he had a really bad and violent coughing spell one night and switched to torsimide and its been about a month and a half now the coughing has come back pretty bad over the last few days but he is still eating and going out to the yard wagging his tail.just don't no if I should continue to let him keep coughing like this.there is really nothing they can do for the cough.whats happening is the heart is getting bigger and pressing on the trahcia.ANY THOUGHTS? he is 11 yrs old now.

Last edited by pom 2; 03-28-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,753 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal12 View Post
My 5 years old Jack Russell was diagnoses in november 2016 with a heart murmur and heart failure. He was put on vetmedin 1.25mg in the morning and 2.5 at night. Also 5mg of benazepril twice daily and furosemide 10mg twice daily. His heart is three time the normal size. He vet gave him 1 to 6 months to live. We saw another vet, same prognosis. At his last vet visit, she found with an X-ray that he has fluid around his heart now. She referred us to a cardiologist. He wants to run 1500$ worth of tests before making a decision about his meds. I asked him if it will make a difference in the outcome. He says I can't say without those tests. He also told me that his liver is bigger now. I don't know what to do. He is not suffering. He seems happy. His tail is waggling. He eats still but less that he did three months ago. He drinks. He pees. He poops. I am so confused. I would spend every dime I have if he could tell me that he could cure him but he says he can't. It might give him a bit more time but the disease will win.
Sorry about your dog mine is also getting along ok its that cough that just beats him down and I am wondering if I should make a decision myself at this time.as for the money part I am very glad I have TRUPANION ins for the dog they have been a great help they cover up to 90%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top