Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 40,213 times

Advertisements

Hi Southward Bound. Thank you for your very clear explanation. I bought a can of mackerel at our local market and it's a big can so I'll try the three fish. We see the oncologist tomorrow so I'm going to ask her about his diet. I've also done some reading about feeding raw food.

I found something called Essiac Tea that seems to have success in boosting the immune system and reducing the size of the tumor. Of course there's no guarantees but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

I'll keep you posted on Rupert's progress. I'm glad Dusty is continuing to do well- you're lucky to have had all the years with him- but we always want more don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertsmom View Post
Hi Southward Bound. Thank you for your very clear explanation. I bought a can of mackerel at our local market and it's a big can so I'll try the three fish. We see the oncologist tomorrow so I'm going to ask her about his diet. I've also done some reading about feeding raw food.

I found something called Essiac Tea that seems to have success in boosting the immune system and reducing the size of the tumor. Of course there's no guarantees but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

I'll keep you posted on Rupert's progress. I'm glad Dusty is continuing to do well- you're lucky to have had all the years with him- but we always want more don't we?
Good luck at your visit! Yes I'm sure you found...there are two theories on raw food with chemo if you go that route so your oncologist is the resource. Some people think it boosts chemo others say the opposite. And of course plenty of vets are against raw feeding because of bacteria. And the interaction with the immune system. They also know most humans will find it difficult to feed human food with dog balanced nutrition. Especially calcium, hence the BONE part of raw food.

I was feeding raw for my Bulldog's allergies so when we moved into my mother's house when she got sick, my mom's Lab went on it too. I used to grind up 40 lbs of chicken ribs/backs/winks/necks (bones and meat) in my Kitchenaid and freeze into servings. Sometimes with the greens/vegs and other times plain. My bulldog's typical deformed "throat" and teeth etc couldn't be trusted with eating bones and the lab was missing half her "jaw" later on. I didn't trust her anyway not to swallow something WHOLE without chewing it since I saw her do that with live BIRDS

I thought of the Bulldog reading the kale soup recipe. LOL if I omitted his greens, particularly collards he was NOT happy so I'd have to compensate with something equally smelly and a piece of mackerel or sardine did the job.

I never used onions, though, I thought onions interfered with red cells so maybe ask about that too. I'm sure they have diets at the oncologist that they are confident in. Or you can go to a homeopath they might recommend for integrative treatment.

I'd always advise the vet of any and all herbs etc that I was using because they need to know - I remember at U of Pa vet hosp they had to ban some lady who was sneaking in and making a disturbance trying to give her dog in ICU herbs and stuff. Which could completely undermine their medical treatment. This goes for humans, too, though.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-08-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Good luck at your visit! Yes I'm sure you found...there are two theories on raw food with chemo if you go that route so your oncologist is the resource. Some people think it boosts chemo others say the opposite. And of course plenty of vets are against raw feeding because of bacteria. And the interaction with the immune system. They also know most humans will find it difficult to feed human food with dog balanced nutrition. Especially calcium, hence the BONE part of raw food.

I was feeding raw for my Bulldog's allergies so when we moved into my mother's house when she got sick, my mom's Lab went on it too. I used to grind up 40 lbs of chicken backs (bones and meat) in my Kitchenaid and freeze into servings. Sometimes with the greens/vegs and other times plain. My bulldog's typical deformed "throat" and teeth etc couldn't be trusted with eating bones and the lab was missing half her "jaw".

I thought of the Bulldog reading the kale soup recipe. LOL if I omitted his greens, particularly collards he was NOT happy so I'd have to compensate with something equally smelly and a piece of mackerel or sardine did the job.

I never used onions, though, I thought onions interfered with red cells so maybe ask about that too. I'm sure they have diets at the oncologist that they are confident in. Or you can go to a homeopath they might recommend for integrative treatment.

I'd always advise the vet of any and all herbs etc that I was using because they need to know - I remember at U of Pa vet hosp they had to ban some lady who was sneaking in and making a disturbance trying to give her dog in ICU herbs and stuff. Which could completely undermine their medical treatment. This goes for humans, too, though.
Great advice there. My regular vet also is against home-made raw. The only raw diet he recommends is BARF because he has seen good results and no incidents of bacterial contamination. He has seen some really bad cases from feeding raw chicken, though.

Rupertsmom, good luck and let us know. Thanks for the tip on Essiac Tea, I'll look into it. We give Standard Process Thymex which has been shown in studies to have some effect on slowing the growth of the cancer. The vet also has Dusty on Standard Process Immuplex to boost immunity. And for him, we have two solutions we give by dropper; one is a homeopath solution called Spinal Nerve Drops, and the other is made from his own stem cells to help combat the cancer. It's not a cure, but it slows things down and keeps him stronger longer.

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-08-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Thank you runswithscissors and southward bound for all the advice. I have a folder with all kinds of questions I'm taking with me tomorrow. I also called Buffalo Blue to ask if the food is in fact grain free. They assured me they would call back- I'll post the answer as it may be useful for some to know.
I'll post tomorrow after our visit with hopefully encouraging news.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Great advice there. My regular vet also is against home-made raw. The only raw diet he recommends is BARF because he has seen good results and no incidents of bacterial contamination. He has seen some really bad cases from feeding raw chicken, though.

Rupertsmom, good luck and let us know. Thanks for the tip on Essiac Tea, I'll look into it. We give Standard Process Thymex which has been shown in studies to have some effect on slowing the growth of the cancer. The vet also has Dusty on Standard Process Immuplex to boost immunity. And for him, we have two solutions we give by dropper; one is a homeopath solution called Spinal Nerve Drops, and the other is made from his own stem cells to help combat the cancer. It's not a cure, but it slows things down and keeps him stronger longer.

OK but BARF is "the raw diet". Raw chicken and other animal parts. ? So I don't know what he's saying. The Original Top 50 BARF FAQs for Beginners - BARF: A Bones and Raw Food Diet for Dogs

My mistake though, for not using the acronym BARF in my second post

Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK but BARF is "the raw diet". Raw chicken and other animal parts. ? So I don't know what he's saying. The Original Top 50 BARF FAQs for Beginners - BARF: A Bones and Raw Food Diet for Dogs

My mistake though, for not using the acronym BARF in my second post
I aplogize if I wasn't clear. I meant that the vet has seen problems with home made raw foods -I was interested in switching to raw and asked him about it -- feeding raw chicken, for example, that I bought in my local grocery store. He didn't recommend that. He said the only raw he recommends is BARF because over the years his experience with it has been positive.

Some dog owners here buy their raw protein foods at an area Asian store - odd animal parts, including chicken and duck feet, etc. mostly from China. They say they don't have any problems. I perused the meat cases and meat origin, and wouldn't feel safe buying any of it. It's probably just me and not the products, but I am what I am.

When Dusty was diagnosed, we started with frozen New Zealand rabbit for him, and he did well on it. I forget the company now, but it was one his holistic vet recommended (it was not BARF). We later switched to the mackerel because of its high anti-inflammatory rating to help with his joint problems, and also concern with the issue of inflammation causing breakdown of cell walls and leading to disease.

Hope that clears up any confusion my post may have caused.

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-09-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Rupert's update.

We got back from the oncologist with some encouraging news. We discussed several options including surgery, radiation and chemo. Because of where his tumor is (at the top of his leg right under his neck) and because we were able to get a narrow margin around the entire tumor the surgeon can perform another surgery to get another 2CM which will basically give us a complete excision and the highest chance that it won't recur. Xrays showed no sign that it has spread anywhere else so that's also good. We could do nothing but feel this is a good option. He's in great health and the last surgery was a very fast recovery (i know I wouldn't want to go on a 3 mile walk the day after!)

I'm still going to change his diet. Blue did call back and the Salmon holistic recipe is 100% grain free. It does have carbs though so I think I'm going to make his food-maybe at first I'll do a combo. I'm going to the cooking route-I know alot of people like the Raw food method- it just seems a bit scary and intimidating to me. I like the anti inflammatory diet- it just seems to have the premise for working to reduce the cancer risk.

I'm going to start him on Thymex too.

So all in all not a bad day. It will be a bit nerve racking when we do the next surgery- it's always a worry and that will be in the next day or two.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Good news about Rupert! I wish him a speedy recovery. And, I'd be doing what you are doing by changing his diet - just to try to prevent any recurrence. In other words, to give him the best chance at optimum health that you can.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Thank you southward bound. I totally agree- we want to do everything we can to give him the best chance. I know you started this thread to get help and and advice and instead you have given it to so many. I for one greatly appreciate it. It's nice to know we're not alone in this.
Rupert's surgery is set for Friday so I'll let you know how that goes.

I hope Dusty enjoys many more days in the sun!

BTW- I'm trying to attach a picture of my two labs- if it worked the one on the left is our 6 yr old Gunther and the one on the right is Rupert.
Attached Thumbnails
Any experience with spindle cell turmors, please?-img_0437-640x480-.jpg  

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertsmom View Post
Thank you southward bound. I totally agree- we want to do everything we can to give him the best chance. I know you started this thread to get help and and advice and instead you have given it to so many. I for one greatly appreciate it. It's nice to know we're not alone in this.
Rupert's surgery is set for Friday so I'll let you know how that goes.

I hope Dusty enjoys many more days in the sun!

BTW- I'm trying to attach a picture of my two labs- if it worked the one on the left is our 6 yr old Gunther and the one on the right is Rupert.
Oh, they are beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing that photo. What beautiful labs! And you're such a good 'mom'. I'll be thinking of you and Rupert on Friday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs