U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM

68 posts, read 154,314 times

Advertisements

Our Yorkie Poo (She is much more a yorkie than a poodle for sure!) can not seem to stop chasing our cat! Penny (The puppy) is about 5 months old, and Lance (The cat) is about 10 years old. They get along well except that Penny cannot seem to stop chasing Lance. She gets in this "zone". Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can snap her out of it and get her to stop?? Penny is very very smart: She can do the following commands very well: lay down (For some reason will not "sit"), roll over, dance, leave it, get down (off something), go in your kennel, and speak--- to name a few! But she won't stop chasing the darn cat. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

13,815 posts, read 14,645,759 times
the only thing I can think of is to distract her. go pick her up, tell her no and then get a ball or other toy and play with her. she will soon get the picture she sounds like a great little pup

Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,229,355 times
Someone started a thread yesterday, called new dog, now what do I do about bringing a dog home with a cat, and I made suggestions there about tethering, teaching watch me and leave it. You need to reward her for being calm and paying attention to you instead of the cat. How does the cat react? A cat can often put a dog in its place but with a small puppy, you have to worry about eyes getting scratched and such. A younger cat might want to play, but I'm guessing from your concern that your older cat doesn't want to. I'd also give the puppy as much playtime with you as possible. You've probably heard the saying, a tired dog is a good dog.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,085,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygracy View Post
Our Yorkie Poo (She is much more a yorkie than a poodle for sure!) can not seem to stop chasing our cat! Penny
Good for Yorkie Poo, if I were a dog I'd chase every cat I came upon!'

Sincerely a non-cat lover.

I'm sorry but I could't help myself, feel free to ignore me

Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 AM

12,439 posts, read 31,491,210 times
I wouldnt worry Cat can get out of her way LOL

Old 12-30-2011, 01:34 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
First, give the cat some HIGH spots around the house, like "kitty condos" or even just a couple of cat-proof bookshelves... then the cat will be safe, and hopefully your dog will eventually learn it's a futile attempt. I have a dog and 3 cats, and when Rudy was a puppy (6 years ago) he definitely couldn't help chasing them! He's likely some kind of herding mix, so really it was more like corralling than chasing - but still, the cats were NOT amused.

The issue was quickly solved through a few methods...
1. Provided the cats with high perches, and (for the first month or so) baby-gated one room where they could relax in peace.
2. Practiced distraction whenever he was about to give chase - i.e. squeaking a toy, offering a treat in exchange for a sit & stay, loud sounds, etc.
3. Since I knew Rudy wouldn't really hurt the cats (or vice versa), I let them defend themselves a few times. One scratch on the nose sure taught him a lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs