U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,143,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Did you single me out on daycares because you know I own some?

I didn't get the vibe that the OP has no clue about dogs. I assumed that he just left the details out when it came to fixed cost expenses. Maybe I am wrong. I admittedly know little about breeding dogs. (We bought dogs from a neighbor who bred them). But I did say in an earlier post, that the OP should follow the rules.

There is one fundamental difference between a daycare and puppy mill in terms of business. A puppy is a commodity. It is expected for there to be loss, damage, depreciation, appreciation, etc. This is not the case with children in a daycare.

You're not the only one that can go twisted here. On the contrary, in MANY countries children ARE a commodity. They are bought and sold, they live in hell and die in suffering because of the heartless people that SELL THEM and ABUSE them! When they are sold, it is expected for there to be a loss, damage (a virgin child/teenager sells for higher than one who is not) depreciation (the older they are, the less valuable to the perverts) and appreciation ( "skilled" ones fetch a higher price). When they're sold, there's a 50/50 chance already they'll live, so why not make a profit right? >

Yes, I went there. Its just as much of a filthy inhumane attitude on that end of the 'business' as a puppy mill is.

You know, I cant say my entire opinion of you on here, but suffice it to say your posts make me sick.

DOGS ARE LIVING, BREATHING CREATURES. NOT goods! Oftentimes they're more worthy to occupy space that some two legged beasts I could name.

They are innocent, and there's a special place in hell for those who intentionally harm them.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 12-29-2011 at 11:05 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
DOGS ARE LIVING, BREATHING CREATURES. NOT goods!
They are indeed wonderful creatures. I love them. I had dogs as pets my entire life until a few years ago. I'd love to have them again when I can.

But we have to keep it in context. The OP is talking about a business where they are goods that are produced and sold for profit. In this case, alive.

It's no different than meat that you buy at the market. Except that they had their heads chopped off for your convenience.
Quote:

They are innocent, and there's a special place in hell for those who intentionally harm them.
That applies to all animals. I don't think breeding animals would be considered "intentionally harming them".

Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And the fact he hasn't come back to this thread makes me think one of two things. He either was not serious in the first place or realized how awful he looks.
This was originally in Work & Employment. Its not uncommon when a post is moved for the OP to lose track of where it is. This probably should have been moved to Business & Investing since its a business discussion, and the subject wouldn't have been so infused with emotional moral judgements. However, for whatever reason someone felt throwing this gasoline soaked topic into a forum of flaming emotional lit matches was the smart move (not). I assume that someone applied their personal feelings to the topic instead of sensible application of where this subject should have been placed and wanted the conflict and moral discussion to esculate and tale over otherwise I can't see why in gods name it was moved to Pets.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
This was originally in Work & Employment. Its not uncommon when a post is moved for the OP to lose track of where it is. This probably should have been moved to Business & Investing since its a business discussion, and the subject wouldn't have been so infused with emotional moral judgements. However, for whatever reason someone felt throwing this gasoline soaked topic into a forum of flaming emotional lit matches was the smart move (not).

Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,143,501 times
Quote:
They are indeed wonderful creatures. I love them. I had dogs as pets my entire life until a few years ago. I'd love to have them again when I can.

But we have to keep it in context. The OP is talking about a business where they are goods that are produced and sold for profit. In this case, alive.

It's no different than meat that you buy at the market. Except that they had their heads chopped off for your convenience.

That applies to all animals. I don't think breeding animals would be considered "intentionally harming them".
When is the last time a cows purpose was a companion? Have you ever had a pig save your life? A chicken do Search and Rescue?

Breeding animals for profit this way almost ALWAYS ends up harming the animal in SOME way either mental or emotional, because it is human nature to be greedy.
Going by your example, cows are meat. They are food. Have you SEEN how most of your food is processed lately, and raised? Standards are cut for the sake of profit in virtually every.single.area of industrialized farming you eat from, and THAT is with animals meant for human consumption.

Dogs fare either no better or far worse.

Quote:
This was originally in Work & Employment. Its not uncommon when a post is moved for the OP to lose track of where it is. This probably should have been moved to Business & Investing since its a business discussion, and the subject wouldn't have been so infused with emotional moral judgements. However, for whatever reason someone felt throwing this gasoline soaked topic into a forum of flaming emotional lit matches was the smart move (not).
Since you want to view it in a business perspective, those in the Dogs forum would be this businesses potential client base. Shouldnt a business know the receptiveness of its client base first and foremost BEFORE a business model is produced?

Yeah, thought so.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,085,636 times
Quote:
Yeah sort of like the context in which some sells contaminated meat or sells a car that is a death trap, just another case of caveat emptor but who gives a frack as long as we make a buck.

I get it, but you still don't.

The idea, in context, isn't about making a profit off of LIVE animals, it is about producing live animals that are healthy and a contribution to the species not some genetically defective, disease susceptible creature that is going to be an expensive burden to some unsuspecting family at best or soon to be euthanized pup at the worst.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,085,636 times
Quote:
the subject wouldn't have been so infused with emotional moral judgements.
Yes we never base our investment strategies upon the moral behavior of a company.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
When is the last time a cows purpose was a companion? Have you ever had a pig save your life? A chicken do Search and Rescue?
Cows provide milk for many families. Chickens provide eggs for families. I'm sure pigs do something.

Dogs are only used as companions over other animals because they are convenient. They save your life because you have them around. An elephant is capable of saving your life, but you don't keep one around since it's not convenient.

Are you actually arguing that a dog's life is more important than another animals life?
Quote:

Breeding animals for profit this way almost ALWAYS ends up harming the animal in SOME way either mental or emotional, because it is human nature to be greedy.
Going by your example, cows are meat. They are food. Have you SEEN how most of your food is processed lately, and raised? Standards are cut for the sake of profit in virtually every.single.area of industrialized farming you eat from, and THAT is with animals meant for human consumption.

Dogs fare either no better or far worse.
Possibly. This isn't a morality thread. If it was really of concern to people, then they wouldn't buy bred dogs, period.
Quote:

Since you want to view it in a business perspective, those in the Dogs forum would be this businesses potential client base. Shouldnt a business know the receptiveness of its client base first and foremost BEFORE a business model is produced?

Yeah, thought so.
There's enough demand for bred dogs. I know this as a fact. That's the reason why this business idea has potential, if done properly (whatever that is).

Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah sort of like the context in which some sells contaminated meat or sells a car that is a death trap, just another case of caveat emptor but who gives a frack as long as we make a buck.

I get it, but you still don't.

The idea, in context, isn't about making a profit off of LIVE animals, it is about producing live animals that are healthy and a contribution to the species not some genetically defective, disease susceptible creature that is going to be an expensive burden to some unsuspecting family at best or soon to be euthanized pup at the worst.
It's both. Create a product that is of value to customers, and make profit. Like I said before, if the dogs weren't of good quality, they wouldn't sell and it would show on the balance sheet. The business will die and it will be a non-issue. That's the risk.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
It's both. Create a product that is of value to customers, and make profit. Like I said before, if the dogs weren't of good quality, they wouldn't sell and it would show on the balance sheet. The business will die and it will be a non-issue. That's the risk.
But plenty of people don't think harming dogs is a non-issue. This isn't like making a bad computer or toaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or