U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM

302 posts, read 615,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Pray tell, how many folks in the Business Forum are knowledgeable about starting a reputable breeding program?

NJBest is a troll. IGNORE.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,693,424 times
A good breeder never makes money breeding if done right it is all done at a loss for the love of the breed and trying to better it..

1 litter per year is good 2 litters is pushing it and hard on female...

Good breeders do breed rescue..

Good breeders have contracts taking back dogs that were sold so need to think about this.. I have took a few back in the years...

Doing this many litters will have to be licensed kennel..

What about pups not sold what will you do with them?

Vet bills during gestation not figured in.. What about cesarean sections if needed?

At one litter per female a year means 3 litters as after age 5 should be took out of breeding..

I had a person want one of my females a few years back he wanted to get stud where bought my stud as a pup.. He told me was going to make perfect breed and anything not meet expectations be killed... He not get female or male.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
So you're a dog lover who loves eating dogs. Don't choke on it.
Not particularly. I've never had dog. I'm not sure that I would. But I am aware of many cuisines that would use them regularly.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Pray tell, how many folks in the Business Forum are knowledgeable about starting a reputable breeding program?

I think this post was moved exactly where it needs to be.

The OP is talking about a puppymill and nothing more. The OP has chosen a breed that is prone to health problems and does not produce large litters. The OP has no idea what he is talking about - please reference his first post on the matter.

NO ONE needs one of his/her irresponsibly bred dogs. My guess is they will end up with a host of health problems because he will have NO CLUE what pretesting to do.

They will then be dumped off into a shelter because of their health issues; they got too big; their hair was too curly, blah blah blah.

So yeah ~ let's all encourage THAT.
Around here, breeders live off of word of mouth. If the puppies are not adequate, the business will quickly fail and it will all come to an end. That's worst case. However, there is the slight chance of reward for that risk and the OP might blossom into a successful business owner. The result of a few damaged goods are small in comparison to careless pet owners that don't spay/neuter and just don't know what they are doing.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
A good breeder never makes money breeding if done right it is all done at a loss for the love of the breed and trying to better it..

1 litter per year is good 2 litters is pushing it and hard on female...

Good breeders do breed rescue..

Good breeders have contracts taking back dogs that were sold so need to think about this.. I have took a few back in the years...

Doing this many litters will have to be licensed kennel..

What about pups not sold what will you do with them?

Vet bills during gestation not figured in.. What about cesarean sections if needed?

At one litter per female a year means 3 litters as after age 5 should be took out of breeding..

I had a person want one of my females a few years back he wanted to get stud where bought my stud as a pup.. He told me was going to make perfect breed and anything not meet expectations be killed... He not get female or male.
A good businessman never (consistently) delivers a product at a loss. The OP is trying to be a good businessman.... whether or not that entails a "good breeder" by your trivial definition.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 PM

9,580 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think it would have been more appropriate in either work/employment as it was originally or business. The mods were not thinking in the best interest of the OP here.
Quote:
I don't like that they moved this thread to the dog forum. It would be a better fit in the business forum. The doglover community (which I admittedly belong to) will sidetrack the OP with their doglovin agenda... which may not be best in terms of maximizing returns/profits.
I am a successful business owner whose focus is on profit. But a profit 9or loss) in my business doesn't mean suffering or death for anyone. The profit motive makes the economy work but that doesn't mean that it excuses immoral behavior.

Quote:
Around here, breeders live off of word of mouth. If the puppies are not adequate, the business will quickly fail and it will all come to an end. That's worst case. However, there is the slight chance of reward for that risk and the OP might blossom into a successful business owner. The result of a few damaged goods are small in comparison to careless pet owners that don't spay/neuter and just don't know what they are doing.
Damaged goods? They're living creatures.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I am a successful business owner whose focus is on profit. But a profit 9or loss) in my business doesn't mean suffering or death for anyone. The profit motive makes the economy work but that doesn't mean that it excuses immoral behavior.

Damaged goods? They're living creatures.
Tell that to meat-eaters, butchers, farmers, etc. Some businesses consider living creatures as product. Some are in the business of killing living creatures. It's just the nature of the business. Like it or not.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM

30,028 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Quote:
Oh please. Now you are just jerking our chain.

Trust me, the internet ensures that word of mouth spreads quite quickly. The chances of the OP becoming a successful breeder are about the same as me becoming crowned Queen of England. Again, his very first post tells me he is not ready to embark on this venture.

Welcome to my ignore feature.

PS: Reputable breeders sell only with a spay/neuter contract. But the OP is probably blissfully unaware of that. Perhaps you could enlighten him along with ALL the other factors that go into any successful breeding program.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

PS: Reputable breeders sell only with a spay/neuter contract. But the OP is probably blissfully unaware of that. Perhaps you could enlighten him along with ALL the other factors that go into any successful breeding program.
Now that's just plain silly. Why would you tell the person who admitted that they know little about breeding to advise the OP on it?

Again, there's a reason why this was't posted in the pets/dogs forum.... and it's becoming very apparent.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,693,424 times
To make money at 1 litter per year,vet cost,food advertising and such would have to charge more than anyone would pay.
Sure breed more get more pups, not care about the animals, feed junk screw over the customer make it look like these animals are well took care of and then when word gets out that you are worthless and nobody buys any of the product (pups) then you lose it all..I breed for a reason not money but to put dogs out for what intended Search and Rescue dogs... Maybe if breed the perfect show dog could make money but not going to get a perfect show dog out of each pup.To do this would cosyt money also as he would have to get in ring get Grand champion bloodlines,breed Grand champions and that not going to come right away.

Good business get something better to make money on not a dog... This person needs to do more research than post on a forum board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or