U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,604,512 times

Advertisements

What do you think about buying 10 purebred female Maltese dogs for $700 a piece and 1 male for $500 (the females always seem to cost a little more).

So that's $7,500. Then stick them all out in your garage and breed them. You can expect a couple litters per year and each one will give you about 3 puppies. So that's about 60 puppies generated in a year.

Gross receipts of $36,000 (assuming they sell on average at $600), minus let's say $2,000 in food and the $7,500 initial investment in the parents. So that is over $25,000 in profit.

If you want to scale up the operation, build a warehouse thing in your backyard and breed HUNDREDS of dogs. Install massive heaters in there to keep them warm in winter and feed them out of cattle troughs.

Some may say a "puppy mill" like this is cruel, but not if you take care of them and make sure they are healthy. It is just like any other business.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,057,153 times
Please don't

Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,090,719 times
I'd rather adopt and save the life of a dog that could otherwise be euthanized.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Please don't
Care to elaborate?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,446,188 times
Are you going to take care of all those puppies yourself? What about vet bills and vaccinations? People will want to buy clean, healthy pups that are not housed in a garage or warehouse. They will want them vaccinated and with "papers". Have you thought about that? What if the parents start getting sick? Well then there goes your initial "investment".

Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,057,153 times
I think you’re assuming the best-case scenario that none of your breeding stock will require vet care. Reputable breeders will also sell animals that have been properly vaccinated and checked over by a vet. There’s also marketing costs, business license, insurance, and some areas require you to have kennel license. I could go on and on, but if the main reason you want to breed is money please don’t.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM

488 posts, read 461,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Then stick them all out in your garage and breed them...

... build a warehouse thing in your backyard and breed HUNDREDS of dogs.
Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Please don't
Seconded. Just don't. The world doesn't need more poorly socialized factory bred animals.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,758,083 times
I'll elaborate.

The National Pet Population and Policy documents that five out of ten dogs in shelters and seven out of ten cats are destroyed every day simply because no one wants to adopt them. It is a misnomer these pets are diseased, second rate animals. In fact, 25 percent of all dogs who enter shelters are healthy pure breds. Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter shelters every year and are euthanized. Shelter intakes are evenly divided between those dogs relinquished by their owners and those picked up and never recovered by their owners. Less than 2 percent of cats and 15-20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners and most were identified by tags, microchips or tattoos. These numbers do not include those animals who die of starvation, abuse, improper vetinary care or abandonment by their owners. It is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats in the United States alone. Estimates for cats alone range in the 70 million.

The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is less than the cost of its care for a year and yet many people ignore its importance. Other preventable or treatable diseases such as parvo or heartworm contribute to the growing population of abandoned companion pets simply because of lack of education and proper vetinary care.

During the financial and housing crisis gripping the nation beginning in 2009 to today, it resulted in a 50 percent jump in these national statistics due to people being unable to feed and care for their pets and home foreclosures resulting in people being forced from their homes and into apartments or rental units which did not allow for pets. Moving has been cited at the number one reason out of 70 for relinquishing a pet.

Local, community Animal Rescue organizations include working with local county dog pounds and shelters and scour them weekly, pulling and placing them in foster homes, providing full vetinary care and holding adoption events, which includes a complete review of the potential new owner prior to adoption including a personal home visit to see first hand the conditions the pet will be living. I have worked as a foster for almost 10 years and myself as well as many others will tell you there is nothing more rewarding than to see a dog, who was only on death row days before, united with their new owner who is all too happy to have their new companion.

Foster programs are comprised of highly dedicated volunteers who open their homes and lives and care for these animals without any reimbursement. Programs rely strictly on donations and resources from events to offset the cost of spaying and neutering and any necessary preventative vetinary care. Adoption donations do not cover the entire costs incurred by these programs.

In addition to fostering, these rescue programs have proactive outreach and education programs to educate the public about rescue and shelter pets, the cost of ownership, the necessity for spaying and neutering and proper vetinary care. Additionally, many provide for free behavioral training.

Consider volunteering your services to one of your local shelter or rescue organizations. Sometimes all it takes is an hour or so of your love. Before considering a pet for adoption, remember it is a lifelong relationship. Look to a rescue first, spay and neuter and provide proper vetinary care. The non-profit website petfinder.org is made up solely of non-profit rescue organizations and the pets they have for adoption nationwide. Consider checking here first for any breed and nationwide location by simply inserting the information. Another non-profit advocacy is the Animal Rescue Site online which helps provide assistance to the many shelters and rescues across the country by requesting only a click a day from you and no money.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Are you going to take care of all those puppies yourself? What about vet bills and vaccinations?
Yes.

Quote:
People will want to buy clean, healthy pups that are not housed in a garage or warehouse.
They will be clean and healthy. I'll put the puppy in my living room when I invite the prospective owners over to look at it.

Quote:
They will want them vaccinated and with "papers". Have you thought about that?
I know all about getting "papers" and yes, they will be vaccinated.

Quote:
What if the parents start getting sick? Well then there goes your initial "investment".
Every investment has its risks. If the parents die, I will buy new dogs and write off the dead ones as a casualty loss on my tax return.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Some questions?

Do you actually have knowledge of breeding dogs or have you done this before?
Why didn't you include vet bills as part of your expenses?
Have you checked that running a business out of your home is legal in your town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or