Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:22 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most rescues want you to give back a dog that does not work out. It sounds like you should do this. I'd fell bad, too, but at least you tried.

I think the poster was a bit overwhelmed as puppies can do that to people. It sounds like she wants it to work out and she is getting help so I think by doing so and getting the kids involved with training the pup things can work out she just needs to give it time and do some training.

Years ago when I got Jazz as a puppy she was very difficult and I have had dogs my whole life but in many ways she was a puppy from h--l. I would not want to come home from work because I would have to deal with her, but once she was trained she was an awesome dog and my once in a life time dog as I have never connected with a dog like I did with her. There was just something so special about her and about the bond we shared.The saying things worth having are worth waiting ( or even working) for is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times
I currently have a dog named Lily who is the perfect fit for my lifestyle and needs (20 year old college student in an apartment). Too early, I decided to look for a companion for my puppy. I tried a few local rescue groups, but the dogs didn't seem to get along with Lily. Finally, I travelled about an hour and a half away and found a great dog who seemed to play well with Lily. There were some fishy things about the rescue group, though. First, the fosters were loading the animals in crates; there were 10-15 crates in one car. One dog even threw up. Second, they were acting really unprofessional, yelling at an old man in a wheelchair, calling him a "little ****." But I decided that I was doing a good thing by helping the dog, and I would only have to deal with them for a day or so.

After being approved to adopt, when I asked them to send me the dog's medical records, they were not prompt about it at all and I had to remind them. The owner replied saying "We are all volunteers and we have our own dogs to go home to! You did not specify a time (I had said as soon as possible)." But I apologized and said that I applauded their efforts and I wasn't trying to be aggressive. Finally, they said the dog had no history of medical issues and that the adoption fee would cover neutering, microchip, and his vaccinations. Well, he still had one more DHPP vax, Rabies, Neutering, and microchipping, which they expected me to pay for. I let that slide too; I figured they wanted to wait till the right age. I also found out that he had kennel cough when they brought him - I took him to the vet right away. And they told me that now Lily probably had kennel cough too, and that both of them couldn't meet other dogs because they were contagious. I even let that slide, reasoning that it wasn't the rescue's fault.

After two weeks it became clear to me and people who came over that it wasn't a great fit. The puppy was only attached to me and didn't seem happy to play with Lily. And Lily was dominant and even aggressive towards him and it seemed like he was being pushed around my her. Also, I had to be in school and work three hours at a time, four days a week. This dog did NOT like being left alone, crying all day. (I literally left a cam on for a while to see what happened and he cried the whole time). I would have loved to wait it out but given the nature of my situation and my limited schedule, I felt that it wasn't a great fit. I contacted his foster and told them about the situation honestly, saying that it wasn't a great fit and that I was willing to finish his vaccinations and even find him a new home myself. She said just return him to the shelter right away if you can't keep him. I explained the whole situation and she was sympathetic, saying "sorry it didn't work." The night before I was going to drop him off, she texted me saying, "I think you're making a mistake. You have no idea what it does to dogs to return them." I explained to her that it would be unfair of me to try to keep him when I knew it wasn't a good fit. And that I hoped he would find a great home and I trusted that she would help him do so. When I got to the shelter, she wasn't there but the owner was. She took one look at me and said "give him to me!" and grabbed him. I was already tearful and I couldn't stop myself from crying. He was crying too and she said "Do you want his harness too?" I said, tearfully, "No, no, I have more stuff for him." I had some food, some toys, some medicines, his records, and a cheque for $100 to help him find a new home. She said "Just GO! leave it at the door and get out. I don't want to see you cry." Shaking, I took the stuff and left it. She went in and yelled at me from the window, saying stuff about my family and whatnot. I was literally scared for my life, so I drove off and I had to go see a therapist after that. I'm still so shocked about what happened. I understand that I made a mistake in trying to adopt too quickly but I felt that the way they treated me was out of line. I was already crying and feeling so guilty, and she made me TRAUMATIZED. And then the foster who had been nice before flip switched and texted me saying "You have no idea what you did to him. He's been crying ever since you left." I do think that part of it was because she literally grabbed him from me while I was crying, and that has to be really traumatic for him. I feel really bad and although I never got to say goodbye, I really hope he found a suitable home that could accommodate all of his needs. And I have to trust that though I made the wrong decision in adopting in the first place, I think I did the right thing in giving him back when I couldn't handle it, even though they hate me now.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:21 PM

508 posts, read 660,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most rescues want you to give back a dog that does not work out. It sounds like you should do this. I'd fell bad, too, but at least you tried.
I have never had dealings with a rescue organization that was willing to take the animal back. In fact, both times that my son has adopted cats from a rescue organization, he has had to sign paperwork stating that he understood that they would under no circumstances take the animal back.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,341,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I have never had dealings with a rescue organization that was willing to take the animal back. In fact, both times that my son has adopted cats from a rescue organization, he has had to sign paperwork stating that he understood that they would under no circumstances take the animal back
Where do you live? Is this a very overwhelmed animal control? Most of the shelters and rescues that I know of *require* that an animal be returned to them if it doesn't work out. Those that don't would still take it back no matter the circumstances. It's part of the commitment of rescuing.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,345,981 times
Quote:
I have never had dealings with a rescue organization that was willing to take the animal back. In fact, both times that my son has adopted cats from a rescue organization, he has had to sign paperwork stating that he understood that they would under no circumstances take the animal back.
Many groups require that you return the animal to them if you can not or do not want it any more. One of the dogs that is now part of my gang was adopted out as a puppy and returned 7.5 years later and I adopted him. The group recently took back a ten year old.

Should anything happen to me that made it impossible for me to keep my two most recent adoptees they would go back to Lab Rescue, per our contract. They just turned 9 and I hope that we will have many years together.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,266,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydcmom View Post
I currently have a dog named Lily who is the perfect fit for my lifestyle and needs (20 year old college student in an apartment). Too early, I decided to look for a companion for my puppy. I tried a few local rescue groups, but the dogs didn't seem to get along with Lily. Finally, I travelled about an hour and a half away and found a great dog who seemed to play well with Lily. There were some fishy things about the rescue group, though. First, the fosters were loading the animals in crates; there were 10-15 crates in one car. One dog even threw up. Second, they were acting really unprofessional, yelling at an old man in a wheelchair, calling him a "little ****." But I decided that I was doing a good thing by helping the dog, and I would only have to deal with them for a day or so.

After being approved to adopt, when I asked them to send me the dog's medical records, they were not prompt about it at all and I had to remind them. The owner replied saying "We are all volunteers and we have our own dogs to go home to! You did not specify a time (I had said as soon as possible)." But I apologized and said that I applauded their efforts and I wasn't trying to be aggressive. Finally, they said the dog had no history of medical issues and that the adoption fee would cover neutering, microchip, and his vaccinations. Well, he still had one more DHPP vax, Rabies, Neutering, and microchipping, which they expected me to pay for. I let that slide too; I figured they wanted to wait till the right age. I also found out that he had kennel cough when they brought him - I took him to the vet right away. And they told me that now Lily probably had kennel cough too, and that both of them couldn't meet other dogs because they were contagious. I even let that slide, reasoning that it wasn't the rescue's fault.

After two weeks it became clear to me and people who came over that it wasn't a great fit. The puppy was only attached to me and didn't seem happy to play with Lily. And Lily was dominant and even aggressive towards him and it seemed like he was being pushed around my her. Also, I had to be in school and work three hours at a time, four days a week. This dog did NOT like being left alone, crying all day. (I literally left a cam on for a while to see what happened and he cried the whole time). I would have loved to wait it out but given the nature of my situation and my limited schedule, I felt that it wasn't a great fit. I contacted his foster and told them about the situation honestly, saying that it wasn't a great fit and that I was willing to finish his vaccinations and even find him a new home myself. She said just return him to the shelter right away if you can't keep him. I explained the whole situation and she was sympathetic, saying "sorry it didn't work." The night before I was going to drop him off, she texted me saying, "I think you're making a mistake. You have no idea what it does to dogs to return them." I explained to her that it would be unfair of me to try to keep him when I knew it wasn't a good fit. And that I hoped he would find a great home and I trusted that she would help him do so. When I got to the shelter, she wasn't there but the owner was. She took one look at me and said "give him to me!" and grabbed him. I was already tearful and I couldn't stop myself from crying. He was crying too and she said "Do you want his harness too?" I said, tearfully, "No, no, I have more stuff for him." I had some food, some toys, some medicines, his records, and a cheque for $100 to help him find a new home. She said "Just GO! leave it at the door and get out. I don't want to see you cry." Shaking, I took the stuff and left it. She went in and yelled at me from the window, saying stuff about my family and whatnot. I was literally scared for my life, so I drove off and I had to go see a therapist after that. I'm still so shocked about what happened. I understand that I made a mistake in trying to adopt too quickly but I felt that the way they treated me was out of line. I was already crying and feeling so guilty, and she made me TRAUMATIZED. And then the foster who had been nice before flip switched and texted me saying "You have no idea what you did to him. He's been crying ever since you left." I do think that part of it was because she literally grabbed him from me while I was crying, and that has to be really traumatic for him. I feel really bad and although I never got to say goodbye, I really hope he found a suitable home that could accommodate all of his needs. And I have to trust that though I made the wrong decision in adopting in the first place, I think I did the right thing in giving him back when I couldn't handle it, even though they hate me now.
Yea, some volunteers involved in this field of work are jerks. I had the (dis)pleasure of working with some over the years. Don't take what that lady said personally. In fact, she could be simply exaggerating or lying to you just to make you feel worse. You may never know.

After a year of spending thousands of dollars, hired expert help, trying new rituals of all sorts... I had to admit defeat and return my cat to the rescue. My senior kitty was just not having it. When he became diagnosed with renal failure, I knew this was no longer about what i want. Everyone including my older kitty were stressed in the house for about a year because of the fighting. The tension also strained my relationship with my husband. In light of this, the rescue lady didn't care for our long, every day attempts to make it work. She was so quick to judge and finds it easier to blacklist me. Whatever.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
I'm in the same situation. We have a 1 and 1/2 year old and adopted a dog. My son loved on her til she got comfortable a few hours later. After that he barracaded himself on the sofa until he saw us lock her in her crate. Other issues too with our schedule, so needless to say we feel guilty and embarrassed to take her back. But no one is in our situation except for us. We tried, for less time than you, but I choose my son.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:24 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,557,569 times
I don't understand --what did the dog do? What did your son do? In any event I suggest you don't adopt another dog until your boy is 5 years old. A small child and a rescue dog are usually not a good combination. Sorry you have to go through this process of returning a rescue, but you are absolutely not the only ones. We just had to return a new rescue because she attacked our 2-year old dog, and our dog's safety and happiness come first.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydcmom View Post

Wow. I work in Animal Control and I have sent many dogs to rescue groups, but I have never seen any that act like that. If I ever saw that type of behavior I'd certainly mark them off my list.

As for animals adopted out of our shelter, we make it clear that we will take the animal back (but not required), however we do not refund adoption fees.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM

17,262 posts, read 11,082,017 times
Quote:
Then you haven't been dealing with legit rescues. Any rescue worth adopting from are just the opposite. They will have a clause in the rescue contract that if it doesn't work out for any reason as long as the pet is alive, it must be returned. Legit rescues put a lot of time, money and energy into taking care of an animal under their care. The last thing they want is to adopt it out to someone who will turn around and dump it somewhere, take it to the pound, or just give it away to anyone.
The rescue your son adopts from has something seriously wrong going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs