U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Reputation: 8082

Advertisements

Dogs Dont need to be Certified to be SD! They dont need to wear vest! sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,507 posts, read 74,405,087 times
Reputation: 47896
it would take some massive training to get a pitt bull to be a service dog. that must have been the worlds worse service dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Reputation: 8082
There are to my knowege 4 PitBull SD in my town! Like Katie not one is Certified or Wears a Vest! They go everywhere with their owners! What they are is Well Trained. No Pittys are Not hard to train! No more harder than any other dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 AM
 
1,181 posts, read 2,573,034 times
Reputation: 1782
I'm glad he got his dog back. It is past time to fight unfair laws. And this town was going against federal law to boot.

Any breed or mix can be a service dog and there is no requirement that it be trained by any organization. The ADA regulations only state that the dog must perform an actual service (comfort pets do not qualify), and be well behaved in public. A business can ask if the animal is a service dog and what services it performs. And, they can ask the person to remove the dog if it is causing a disturbance.

Obviously, none of the above applied in this case and the town was totally in the wrong. I hope they get sued for big bucks for distress and anything else some smart attorney can think of. Personally, I am sick and tired of states and communities that don't pass and enforce responsible laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
 
Location: In the middle...
1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it would take some massive training to get a pitt bull to be a service dog. that must have been the worlds worse service dog.
You must not have any experience with this breed as they are easily trained, extremely intelligent (smarter than some people ) willing to please and make excellent service dogs.

You may not know this crazy fact about pit bulls and staffies, they also make excellent search and rescue dogs.

I know, who'd a thunk?

What will they think if next, making them movie stars or something? Oh wait, Pete of "Our Gang" was a pittie. It's been done, we are too late!!!

Yep, stable and easily trained...who'd thunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
 
Location: In the middle...
1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Reputation: 1821
Talking Pit Bulls and Am Staffs as Service Dogs...

I know, I know...not the dogs demonized by the media, I mean Service Dogs, Search and rescue, nanny dogs (great with kids) movie stars...herding dogs to protect livestock, ratter's (they get rid of ANY rodent issues you've got...)

These dogs (pitties / staffies) bring many, many talents to the table and are willing to share them with their humans. They have a love for their humans that is so strong, they would do anything to be with their human. They do NOT do well stuck outside or chained to some object.

Instead, they thrive on being close to the human pack members, whether that is one person or an entire family of say three, five or eight people. The number does not matter as long as they have that close bond with their family.

With training and structure, they make absolutely fantastic pets. They are not good guard dogs because they can be so friendly but the make EXCELLENT alarm systems! They will warn you when something is NOT right especially if the children are involved.

You will not find a more loyal and comical dog, either. There is no other breed of dog that smiles so willingly, either.

Keep in mind, any breed can bite, any breed can be aggressive. Every dog should be trained from the smallest teacups to largest giant mastiff...every dog needs manners, period.

So if you need Service Dog, here is a breed that is bright, very intelligent, willing to please, loves to work and will adore the ground you walk on, the Pit Bull or Am Staff is the Service dog for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,507 posts, read 74,405,087 times
Reputation: 47896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
I know, I know...not the dogs demonized by the media, I mean Service Dogs, Search and rescue, nanny dogs (great with kids) movie stars...herding dogs to protect livestock, ratter's (they get rid of ANY rodent issues you've got...)

These dogs (pitties / staffies) bring many, many talents to the table and are willing to share them with their humans. They have a love for their humans that is so strong, they would do anything to be with their human. They do NOT do well stuck outside or chained to some object.

Instead, they thrive on being close to the human pack members, whether that is one person or an entire family of say three, five or eight people. The number does not matter as long as they have that close bond with their family.

With training and structure, they make absolutely fantastic pets. They are not good guard dogs because they can be so friendly but the make EXCELLENT alarm systems! They will warn you when something is NOT right especially if the children are involved.

You will not find a more loyal and comical dog, either. There is no other breed of dog that smiles so willingly, either.

Keep in mind, any breed can bite, any breed can be aggressive. Every dog should be trained from the smallest teacups to largest giant mastiff...every dog needs manners, period.

So if you need Service Dog, here is a breed that is bright, very intelligent, willing to please, loves to work and will adore the ground you walk on, the Pit Bull or Am Staff is the Service dog for you!
well this is a tough one. i see the media being demonized on CDF alot.
there is what u assert about spanky and the gang and the pitt bull (60 years ago). yes yes you say in fact pitt bull is a love dog ok ok. and then again there is reality, combo of what i know, who i know and the media. there is a terrible gap there friend.
reminds me of my memphis friends on CDF who assert memphis is not dangerous and is a media victim and that armed guard in front of rendezvous and the 6 ft 4 AA fit young parking lot manager hiding in a locked security booth 25 feet away are just another terrible misunderstanding. u keep telling me my perceptions are off. u guna have to do better than that.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-07-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 AM
 
1,181 posts, read 2,573,034 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well this is a tough one. i see the media being demonized on CDF alot.
there is what u assert about spanky and the gang and the pitt bull (60 years ago). yes yes you say in fact pitt bull is a love dog ok ok. and then again there is reality, combo of what i know, who i know and the media. there is a terrible gap there friend.
reminds me of my memphis friends on CDF who assert memphis is not dangerous and is a media victim and that armed guard in front of rendezvous and the 6 ft 4 AA fit young parking lot manager hiding in a locked security booth 25 feet away are just another terrible misunderstanding. u keep telling me my perceptions are off. u guna have to do better than that.
I do not own pits (not pitt btw) but properly bred and raised they can be great dogs. Sadly, they became the breed of choice by gang bangers and other lowlifes who wanted tough looking dogs to make up for their own inadequacies. These people train the dogs to be mean through abuse to the animal. Some of them are involved in dog fighting and do unspeakable things to the dogs used in fighting as well as dogs and other animals used in their training. Strange thing is that in the bad old days when dog fighting was legal, the handlers did not abuse the dogs to train them. A dog fighting in the pit was easily handled. They were (and properly are) bred to be human friendly. Many then and now are not dog friendly but this is true of many terrier breeds and not just the pit breeds.

No dog of any breed, size or mix should ever be left alone with small children. Any breed can bite and even small dogs can kill an infant. We have to remember that dogs are ANIMALS and PREDATORS. An infant or small child can often act or sound like prey to a dog. Now some dogs have very low prey drive but others have a high prey drive. A responsible person does not take a chance with a child's life and well-being. They supervise children and dogs.

I don't think anyone is against resposnsible non-breed specific viscious dog legislation that is enforced. But breed specific legislation is never well though out, often a knee-jerk reaction to a tragedy that could have been prevented if laws already on the books had been enforced (or child dog interactions had been supervised). There also is the difficulty in actually indentifying the breed targeted in the breed specific law. For example, Pugs have sometimes been targeted as pit puppies. Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull This link is to a group of pictures of various breeds, only ONE of which is actually an American Pitbull Terrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
Reputation: 47214
Of course any breed of dog can be trained to be a service dog and don't need certificates. But in order to get on public transportation or go anywhere in public where most dogs aren't allowed they have to be "official" and have the right kind of vest and papers. If not everybody and their brother would try to take their "therapy dog" into eating establishments, etc. That would not be good.

Read an article recently where college freshman tried to get her "therapy" dog in the dorm with her but it was not certified and she ended up withdrawing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top