Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 AM

91 posts, read 199,615 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in a cold mountain climate. Wildlife such as coyotes and mountain lions are a real concern.

As well, I need these dogs to serve as protection. It is a somewhat crime-filled community unfortunately. This is my only criteria; that they be able to survive a mountain climate and serve as adequate protection dogs.

Questions:

- How many dogs should I get, 2 or 3? All of the same sex?

- Breed recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
Hello. I live in a cold mountain climate. Wildlife such as coyotes and mountain lions are a real concern.

As well, I need these dogs to serve as protection. It is a somewhat crime-filled community unfortunately. This is my only criteria; that they be able to survive a mountain climate and serve as adequate protection dogs.

Questions:

- How many dogs should I get, 2 or 3? All of the same sex?

- Breed recommendations?

Thanks!
Depends on your lifestyle. Are you active or a couch potato? Will your dogs be a part of your life or lawn ornaments? Will they be inside dogs (as most dogs want to be with their humans) or do you plan on leaving them outside?

Are you considering a breeder or would you consider a shelter or rescue?

Dogo's would be fine for the coyote's and mountain lions and as for the criminal element, you need not worry. Larger breeds are a deterent however, it is really up to you to protect your property, yourself and your dogs. Dogo's need plenty of exercise and work well in pack situations. So, if you are a walker, jogger or runner, this could be a great fit. If you are a couch potato, forget the dogo.

If you want a couch potato dog, one of the mastiff's might be the way to go. You'll still get the large to giant breed they may not need as much exercise and will love laying around on your couch.

So...is there family involved, such as children? If so...that could change things, too.

We need a little more info., please. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
were missing alot of infor here to realy help with breeds, BUT id personally look into the livestock guardians.

great pyranese, anatolian, central asian shepered, tibetain mastif, ect.

there bred to withstand weather extreems and thier entire purpse is to protet livestock from coyotes, bear lion ect...
when raised as a house dog instead the humans become the flock, so they become the protected instead. most are warey of strangers but not outright agressive, however they are all large enough and intimidating enough that all but the most hardend criminals wil think twice before comming neer your house.

(i wouldnt suggest the dogo, only because they tend to be sensitive to the cold, same with the corso.)

a tibetan ot central asian sheperd might fit your needs the best of the lgd group
do not confuse the cas with the caucasian orvcharka, the are different breeds and the CO is NOT NOT NOT EVER a dog for a beginner.

in temrs of the 1 or more thing.

1...purchasing 2 dogs at the same time is a recipie for disaster, not only do you open yourself up for a bajillion times more work, BUT the dogs tend to bond to eachother rather than the human and it makes everything alot harder.
sex however doesnt matter, spay/neuter (should be done unless your planning to show as its better tfor the dogs health and mentality) and gender doesnt matter. ive known just as many males and female who are equally protective.

as a side note, dogs should NEVER be relied on to attack an intruder, its not their job (and most dogs unless trained to hold instinctually bite just to make room to get out of the situation) dogs are NOT bulletproof and any criminal willing to take on a home wiht a large dog is more than likely also armed.

a dog should be seen as a deterant only when it comes to the human element...its your job as the ones with opposable thumbs to protect your family..the dogs job is simply to warn you and put on a show. the good news is most people will not even think about entering a home with a large (or noisey) dog...

Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Something I forgot to ask, how much experience do you have with dogs and with what breeds? This too will make a big difference in recommendations...

Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
should you get two dogs it should opposite sexes , imo.
spayed and neutered of course!!!

will these dogs live outside nite and day? How far are you from your neighbors? Farmland?

New Foundland, St. Bernard, Great Pyerenees,German Shepherd, Irish Wolfhound.
Bernese Mountain dog.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I grew up on a farm, we had nothing but Border Collies. They were great work dogs plus great family dogs. Very smart, hardy in the cold weather (even though we had a heated doghouse for them).

And they would let you know if anyone or anything was going on anywhere on the property. Ours never attacked anyone but they were very intimidating to strangers until we came outside.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Sometimes people want to adopt out brother/sister pairs of dogs that are rescued because these dogs know each other and have been together through whatever trauma they had to go through.
I would not let any notion that they won't 'bond' with you stop you from considering these dogs.

Two dogs, I have noticed, are happier than just one.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I agree, but getting 2 dogs settled into a new home at the same time, unless they're a bonded pair, is way too complicated. Better to get one, train it, get it feeling settled in before adding a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs