Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times

Advertisements

ok, the chihuahua makes sense, but a dobie/rottie? was he really timid or one of those gentle giants? that would be a Very funny picture to see..

I used to have a puppy back in my dumber and younger days that was a mix of something huge and a few other huge things. My wife wanted it because she was so cute, but all I could do was look at the size of her paws and how huge they were. We ended up keeping her for a few weeks until she got way too big for the apartment and we had to give her to someone I worked with that had a house. He ended up having to give her to someone that had a farm when she got too big for his house.. she ended up being over 200 pounds..
but anyhow, there is a point to this and it has to do with a rottie puppy she met one day while going for a walk. She was very timid and shy and didn't want anything to do with the rottie, but the other owner wanted them to play a little, so I brought my dog up to his and the rottie tried an agressive move and mine picked up her paw and put the rottie's head down on the ground with it. The look on the owners face was priceless because he obviously got the dog for some macho reason (probably to make up for something else.. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
to socialize take her to socializing classes. But realize that certain breeds talk different languages and there could just be miscommunication. My Cody has a problem w/ labs and huskys because they are so in your face and dorky(not in a mean way ...I love them!) BUT he can read the body launguage of any herding breed and gets along w/ them fine.
We start basic obedience next weekend. We also took a spin by the dog park. Zoe did WONDERFULLY! There was a long game of "chase the puppy," and all us owners got much amusement out of it. No signs of anything other than some bad puppy manners, but everyone (including the dogs) was very understanding about it. And we now have a very, very tired pup.

I read up a bit today, and I think she was showing some fear/apprehension. So we will work on it (probably with the trainer). Of course, the neighborhood and everything is very new to her, so its understandable, and hopefully with more walks, it will deminish

Old 09-02-2007, 04:13 AM

202 posts, read 833,819 times
It's a sign telling other dogs that he is ready for a challenge, not a wimp and not going to back down. The equivilent of a man flexing on the beach when he sees a man with a pretty woman on his arms.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 PM

115 posts, read 471,460 times
My dog sometimes does it when she sees something new. Her hair goes back down when she sniffed it. So no worries

Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
It is a sign of fear, defensive posturing and alerting herself to her surroundings. You are lucky all that she does is a low growl with the hair up. Our min pin really dislikes most dogs. So we get the hair up first, then the growl, then she crouches like a cat and stalks things, and then the explosion of anger and screaming !!! Not from me, from the dog, she actually screams like a frightened child at the site of other dogs too close to her territory !! So for me any behavior I see in our dog is " normal ", I'm sure yours is fine too

Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I just took Zoe on a walk (my first due to work, DH has been doing it so far). Several times we passed houses with dogs outside, one behind a fence, one in an invisible fence, and two little guys in the front yard with their dad. The dogs in yards started barking. Zoe would stop and stare intently, pulling to the end of her leash. That all seems normal, but I also noticed that her hair along her back would stand up and she would do a couple guttural barks. Her tail was up the whole time, mostly at attention but a couple of wags in there. I would remain calm and then redirect her attention. When she was looking back at me, but wagging, and her hair relaxed, I gave her a treat.

Is the hair thing normal or a possible sign of aggression? Since she is going to be a big dog, I want to make sure she plays well with others. If this is a problem, what should I being doing?

Oh, and we start training class a week from Sunday. The only place available in the next couple weeks was Petsmart, and they recommended "basic" rather then puppy b/c of her age and size. Hopefully that will help socialize her.
Make no mistake about it, your pooch was in a "CLASSIC" offensive threat posture. Hence the term don't get your "HACKLES UP". The hackles are the section of hair along a dogs back to his rump. I'll bet her head was straight up and her ears were forward as well. If the pooch was in a defensive threat posture the hackles would be up but the tail would be tucked and her head would be low to the ground. Both postures are dangerous and the dog can strike at any time. I would be carefull about giving your dog a treat when she's in this state. You may be sending a bad message by rewarding her. Make sure you tell the trainer about this episode, she needs to be socialized. Good luck to you and your pooch.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,804 times
my dog never used to do it and then the other day i took him for a walk and he was attacked by another dog and hes been doing it ever since and i have another dog and he tried to attack him. what should i do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs