U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 PM

12,545 posts, read 18,380,554 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the general cost of ACL surgery is. I've heard a variety of prices depending on the location. I'm in NJ with family in northeast pa and southeast pa. wondering what i might expect to find? it seems like it can vary widely even in the same area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,080,165 times
One of my Siberians had TPLO done almost a year ago and it cost $2500. This was in Sun Valley, ID and I know you're looking in a different region, but this surgery was performed by a world-renowned orthopedic surgeon. People and their dogs travel from all over to see this doctor. Another surgeon I looked into charged almost $5000. My veterinarian highly recommended the doctor I chose (he performed TPLO on both of her pit bull's knees). I think one of the reasons the price was so much better at this hospital was because they have done thousands of these surgeries and have it down to a science. The "new guy" in the operating room had 18 years of experience. My point is, don't assume a higher price means higher quality. If you can, schedule a consult with the surgeon and ask lots of questions.

My dog's recovery went extremely well and he got the all-clear to start returning to normal activity after only 8 weeks. He's a very strong, active dog and has had no complications. I don't regret for a moment having the surgery done. He was so sad when he couldn't run around with his sisters and I hated seeing him in pain. He was a trooper and was back to his bouncy, happy self very quickly. Today, you'd never know he had the injury.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 AM

178 posts, read 317,272 times
My Shih Tzu had the surgery two years ago and it was a big success... It cost around $2600 here in Southern, California... I hated to spend the money, but it was worth it to see her happily playing and running around again...By the way you wouldn't know she ever had the surgery today.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM

so how did you guys know it was ligament tear? my 3 year old mix-breed seems to limp the worst after getting up from laying down for a while (he doesn't put weight on his left hind leg when this happens). i've read a bunch of stuff online and alot says this could be his leg just falling asleep, but some videos i've watched of dogs with ACL tears - looks very similar to how he acts. anyways - guess the only way to find out is to go to the vet.

he's also been a bit reluctant to get into the car lately - he used to get into the back seat with no real issues (though he always made us lift his back-end up into the car - would never jump in himself).

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM

The lameness after a nap was my first indication, too. It came on suddenly and when he was still sore 3 days later I made an appointment with our veterinarian. The vet confirmed the diagnosis with a physical exam and x-rays.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
The lameness after a nap was my first indication, too. It came on suddenly and when he was still sore 3 days later I made an appointment with our veterinarian. The vet confirmed the diagnosis with a physical exam and x-rays.
x-rays? when i tore my acl - x-rays don't show much to confirm that the ligament is torn (just shows some bone damage, possibly, if the bones rubbed when the injury occured) - i wonder if with a dog they can tell because of the position of the bones? i had to have an MRI.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
x-rays? when i tore my acl - x-rays don't show much to confirm that the ligament is torn (just shows some bone damage, possibly, if the bones rubbed when the injury occured) - i wonder if with a dog they can tell because of the position of the bones? i had to have an MRI.
I think the x-ray was used to look for joint damage, arthritis and any displacement of the femur on the slope of the tibia. Jack's ligament pulled from the bone and you could see where that damage was done in the x-ray. The physical exam revealed obvious instability in the joint.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I think the x-ray was used to look for joint damage, arthritis and any displacement of the femur on the slope of the tibia. Jack's ligament pulled from the bone and you could see where that damage was done in the x-ray. The physical exam revealed obvious instability in the joint.
i see. makes sense. if the joint slips a certain way, it's pretty clear the ligament is torn. you could see it in my knee when it happened. the mri was more of a formality.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
My MinPin had the surgery last April in Denver and it cost right at $2500. Luckily I have insurance, so it only (ONLY!) cost me $1000.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM

30 posts, read 82,643 times
My 3-y-o pup is scheduled to have a bilateral TTA or TPLO on Thurs., Jan. 19, in Chicago. The surgeon will not know which procedures she will have until he sees, with his knife, the extent of the damage. Either way, the cost estimate for the surgeries is between $4.5K and $4.9K.

I've visited vets in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Chicago. Costs fluctuated probably as much as the surgeons' skills. But perhaps the difference in cost will be negligible compared to the luxury of knowing your dog does not have chronic pain. I'm hoping for this with my dog, anyway.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs