U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 PM

11,988 posts, read 29,378,625 times

Advertisements

Laws differ from State to State on Rabies So Everyone Needs to Know their State Laws! Up until last year Dogs had to have Rabies Shots every 2 yrs By Law Even tho Manufacture said they were good for 3 yrs! This past year they Law changed to Every 2 1/2 yrs! State Law of WV! I also know that back before 1980s people could order the Rabies shots & give their own! Laws changed in mid 1980s That Only Vets can give Rabies Shots!!

As for the DHLPPs + C I Never would advise Not giving the Vaccine! IF your not sure of your dogs reaction Take them to the Vet & have it done! Thats what hes being Paid for & was educated to do! Not just How to give the shot But what to Watch for to see if there Will be a reaction & How to treat it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM

20,941 posts, read 25,339,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im not sure why yall think im in the uk...i was born in the UK now i live in Tennessee...ive been in america for 11 years.

i am a certified vet tech (though havent worked as one since i got injured while working as a zoo keeper), been involved with dog showing and breeding in the UK and USA for my entire life, (and been in "the family" for over 8 generations in pure breed dogs)
rabies isnt a concern at all in the UK as it doesnt exist, however for the average house pet in the USA whos not being left alone outdoors the risk of exposure to rabies prior to 6 months is incredibly low, the rabies vaccination is also approved for a 3 yearly vaccination,

i stopped giving bordatella when i found dogs in borading kennels were MORE likley to get kennel cough when given the vaccination...the vet i worked for confirmed shed come to a similar conclusion...i dont bored my dogs, and its very rare we spend any time around dogs we dont know, so i stopped vaccinationg for bordatella completly (i later found out that the lifecycle of the vaccine is 3-6 months and only covers a small number of the many strains...

i stopped giving leptospirosos vaccines after seing a LARGE number of dogs having SEVERE allergic reactions.
lepto is spread in rodent urine...(hence dogs haveing acess ot standing water being more likey to contract it...) even if infected (rare) the illness is mild in a normal healthy young-adult dog...so unless your dog is drinking standing water that rodents have acess to...its an incredibly LOW risk issue, with an incredibly HIGH risk of reaction (many toy breed dogs have serious reactions some even fatal to the lepto)

other vaccines are titer testing much longer, i started this protocal at the advice of MULTIPLE vets, dog show people and my own research...its not unusual or odd or weird. i origionally began 3 yearly protocal (which is now becomming the NORM with vets who keep current on protocals and studies as well as folks comming out of veterinary school...) after seeing the results of vaccinosis in a number of great dane rescues i worked with as a foster home (danes are highly prone).

titer testing is a form of testing level of immunity in the body...its like with people..why give a vaccine every year if your body has built up a 5 year immunity or a 10 year immunity or a life time immunty...do you continue to give it each year just because "hey why not?" or do you pay attention to your body...
afterall a vaccine is purposely infecting oneself...if your already immune to something...why reinfect yourself?!
titer testing is fairly new and however studies are showing strong support and it is becomming a much more common practice.
Dozer if he becomes my service dog as im hoping will be put on a 3 yrly cavvine schedual with a 5in1 vaccine and 3 yearly rabies, simply because as a service dog he will be much more frequently exposed to unknown people and animals ect...
my house dogs however will continue to be titer tested every 3 years and get thier rabies every 3 years...they are very rarely exposed to unknown dogs or people, they are indoor pets who dont go out unsupervised, dont like strangers at all so dont meet unknown people and simply arnt exposed to these illnesses so as long as titers say their immunity is good i see no need to re-infect them since the risk of exposure is so low.

rabies will continue to be 6 months, 1 yr booster and every 3 years thereafter as long as thats what law mandates...
(i have the same protocal for myself as a vector species rehabber lol, i too get my rabies every 3 years)

vaccinating every 6 months may have been your normal but i can assure you, since i started as a junior handler in the uk in the early 90's and stopped entering the ring about 5 yars ago, vaccinating a dog every 6 months was NOT the "norm" ive NEVER heard of a breeder doing this (and i have many freinds who breed and show, many with westminister and eukanuba champs...) and if you had any idea what vaccinosis is, and th risks associated with purposly infecting yourself with these viruses that often then...well it would be a practie youd be bragging about or "encouraging"

a doble dose of bordatella isnt going to hurt a dog...

a double dose of one of the "fab 5" however can cause reactions that the op should be looking for it thats the case.
from the origional post i gather the vet ONLY repeated the bordatella so the risk of a reaction is low.
the op said they were reaserching vaccine protocals and i provided an UP TO DATE protocal thats been widley accepted.
vaccinossis is a wildly acnowledged, accepted and DANGEROUS issue present with yearly vaccination, asis a condition in which the body rejects its own blood...

http://www.caninesunlimited.com/vaccine.pdf
"Dr. Dodd's vaccination protocol is now being adopted by ALL
27 North American veterinary schools."

"Leptospirosis vaccine is a common cause of adverse reactions
in dogs. Most of the clinical cases oflepto reported in dogs in
the US are caused by serovaars (or types) grippotyphosa and
bratsilvia. The vaccines contain different serovaars eanicola and
ictohemorrhagica. Cross protection is not provided and protection
is short lived. Lepto vaccine is immuno-supressive to puppies
less than 16 weeks."

"2. Rabies at 16 weeks of age (later is better)"

katie...im not "contradicting you" as some form of method in which to knock you down...
im simply stating that your comments about how "show people" do this is inccorrect and misguided...im not sure what crcles you hung about in, but this hasnt been common practice since i started showing in th uk in the early 90's and it certinaly hasnt been common practice in the show circles im involved in here in the US since i started showing in the US in 2000 and ive NEVER heard of it as common practice here in US show circles. andi do have friends who have been invovled in confo, agility, Obedience, and performance (lure coursing, earth dog and schutzhund) for over 25years...
Thanks for the clarification!

I misunderstood your location.

This will make me discuss our dog's vaccine schedules with our vet.

Our dogs are indoor/outdoor types and have access to a large, wooded, fenced back yard.

What is the cost of doing titers as opposed to vaccinating on a schedule? Is it possible that the cost for doing titers was prohibitive in the past and more affordable now?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,407,540 times
its a little more afforbale now but still a little more exoensive than the shots...for me personally i think its worth it (and only titer every 3 years so that spreads it out a little).
if they spend alot of time in the woods ect, then the lepto might be worth having...id do a quick look online into what kind of risk zone your in...some areas are more prone to lepto outbreaks...
but i still wouldnt bother with bordatella.
i probably still woudlnt do corona either...another one of those that is kinda like the common cold in humans...unless your dogs are immuno suppressed the risk of the illness is less than the risk form the vac lol.

theres ALOT of info out there on the new protocals, vaccinosis ect.
my suggestion is to do a little looking and make your own desicions based on the info you come up with.
youll see for and against vaccination on every level...but education is your greates weapon.
our dogs, like our children cant speak for themselves...so its up to us to be their advocate.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,387,700 times
This is the link to the CURRENT AAHA guidelines.

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf

For the record, there at NO POINT was anything in there saying that 'show people' need to vaccinate every 6 months. That was just plain stupid and incredibly dangerous to say!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:42 PM

thanks mrs1885, thats the link i was looking for

Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,387,700 times
Quote:
thanks mrs1885, thats the link i was looking for
Welcome! I have it bookmarked!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM

12,153 posts, read 14,233,609 times
Quote:
im sorry katie..but as a show person...NO we dont...some MAY, but its not only 100% completly unessicary but incredibly dangerous to the dogs health...
vacciniosis is a serious and sometimes DEADLY illness and direct result of over vaccination...

some show people DO give the bordatella vaccine every 6 months, but once again this is simply because the vaccine is ridiculously useless and a dog with a strong immune system deosnt need it.
ive attended may shows over the years with my own dogs and handling other folks dogs too, i stopped giving bordatella over 6 years ago at the encoragment of my vet and the 3 high scale breeders i was handling/grooming under...havent had a kennel coug issue once...
yet folks giving the vaccine every time the board and show and such end up with more cases than not...
I agree with foxywench....vaccines can be incredibly dangerous....I would be very angry at a vets office that vaccinated twice like that....and then to add insult to injury...just act like it's no big deal.......Science of Vaccine Damage

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 5,839,603 times
Vaccinosis is by no means a settled issue in the scientific world. Just for a touch of balance: Veterinary Vaccines-Fact and Fiction | The SkeptVet Blog

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,840,782 times
I agree with Foxy, we are our dogs (or any pets) advocate. They can't speak for themselves, therefore we must speak up for them.

I also agree with her that our greatest weapon is knowledge.

In Colorado, rabies shots are required every three years and must be given by a vet.

I have started giving my dogs their shots (other than rabies) every three years as I strongly disagree with over vaccinating my dogs, our pets, children and of course myself. If it is needed, it is one thing but to over do it, for whatever reason and put our dogs, pets, children and myself at risk, I disagree with the practice.

(*disclaimer: children and myself followed the dogs and pets ONLY because we are in the dog forum. Children, people and of course myself are held in higher esteem above animals*)

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM

kansas sky, i can honestly say ive seen enough vaccinosis cases and see what overvacinating can do enough in person as a vet tech that there is no doubtin my mind that it exists and is serious (and not at all "rare" unfortunatly) we did alot of toy breeds at the clinic i did some work for, and 9 out of 10 would have some kind of reaction to the lepto vacciner, and about 50% would be severe..its what initially prompted me looking further into vaccine reaction as i have toy breed dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs