U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,611 times

Advertisements

I'm with the OP. Don't want to promote greyhound racing. One from last year in Florida Florida: Ebro Track Trainer Gets 6 Year Sentence for Greyhound Cruelty | American-European Greyhound Alliance (AEGA) (http://ameurogreyhoundalliance.org/florida-ebro-track-trainer-gets-year-sentence-for-greyhound-cruelty/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I used to live in a town in NH that had a dog track....my son worked briefly at t he track walking the dogs.....he quit......he hated the job because he said the dogs were treated like a commodity, not like living creatures with feelings and fears and needs. I was told that after their maiden race the owners would cull the dogs who didnt show promise.....and the dead bodies of the young dogs who didnt race well were dumped in the town's land fill. The town's selectmen had to notify the track that they couldnt bring a truck load of dead dogs to the town dump.

Granted that was some years ago....before the adoptions began.....but, in my opinion, I agree with the OP.....it is cruel or at least puts the animals at risk of cruelty.
This also happens with hunting hounds.

If you get a good cross the puppies are weeded out.

Then if they are not good hunters they do not want them around or, out there someplace with their bloodlines.

That keeps the price up and the breeder's reputation.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Life at a Greyhound Track – Behind the Scenes Rachel Hogue Photography

There was a time that Shendoah Downs in Ranson WV was thinking of going Dog Racing [not long after the Whole track was purchsed by Penn Horse Racing Track.... Now all we have is Gambling!] Anyway a bunch of the Grooms & Horse Trainers went to Wheeling WV Dog Track! Was a Great trip & I Never saw any Cruelty! But Yes like Retired Race Horse when they couldnt race they were given away or put to sleep.... No Different than Breeders Culling animals that are not up to par. Weather it be Racing or Showing. Now people make them Pets which is great. BUT there is No Abuse! Handlers are Not even allowed to raise their voice around the dogs! I even seen Several males Pee on the handlers No Correction! They figure Any correction would break the spirt & the dog wouldnt race! One of the MAIN reasons that people Would Not adopt was the Gereral Public didnt know they Could Be house Trained & They Didnt need Room to Run!! They are Layed back Couch Potatoes that are Easy to house Train!
Also the same fate was big problem with retired race horses! Only the big fear there was they were flakey & would run away with you ALSO NOT True! As general they are calm quiet & only once have I seen a run away horse it was Not a Race horse!
IF your looking for a great dog or horse Consider Adopting these Loveable Racers!
Katie,

I completely agree that the institution of greyhound racing is not cruel and, really, I don't think it's even unreasonable in the modern iteration (at least not any more cruel than the sum of dog ownership in the U.S.). These dogs are handled in an austere manner that isn't necessarily chock-full of hugs and kisses, but they are not beaten, they are not starved, they are not neglected nor denied basic veterinary care (rescue greyhounds will often have bad teeth, but greyhounds in general tend to have bad teeth). They really have it pretty good as far as I can tell - lots of exercise and steady, gainful employment. A racing greyhound's life is very similar to a variety of working dogs and I just don't think that there is a problem treating a dog like a soldier if he's been taught to be a soldier.

The pictures you posted are beautiful; what amazing athletes these dogs are!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I'm with the OP. Don't want to promote greyhound racing. One from last year in Florida Florida: Ebro Track Trainer Gets 6 Year Sentence for Greyhound Cruelty | American-European Greyhound Alliance (AEGA) (http://ameurogreyhoundalliance.org/florida-ebro-track-trainer-gets-year-sentence-for-greyhound-cruelty/ - broken link)
On that basis, I don't want to promote dog rescue... One from last year in Illinois: Pet rescue cruelty trial: Pet rescue operator facing prison after conviction for animal cruelty and torture - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,442,891 times
Here is the link I have been looking for for anyone interested.

Animals Petition: Stop the Super Bowl Ad Promoting Dog Racing | Change.org via @change

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,757,063 times
Quote:
GH Racing is Not cruel No more than Horse Racing!

Horse racing is also cruel. Its gorgeous, its majestic and its an old world elite spectator sport....but cruel it is. The horses that don't win, which are most, are usually sold at auction....a lucky few become pets or riding horses or are used in lesser racing or jumping events but most don't get that lucky. Especially those that may have an injury or are hard to train or simply not pretty enough. They are slaughtered as food or pet food or manufacturing uses, used as Premarin mares (another offshoot of pain for horses) or medical "teaching aids", sold to lousy owners etc. Only the winners go off to lead quality loving lives in fields of kentuky green. Same with Greyhound racing. Not pretty behind the curtain.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,786,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You are an amazing person with some very good ideas! Thank you very much! I will share this with the other Greyhound rescues! Super thinking! I have to tell you--I laughed so hard when you mentioned this commercial about the hamsters! You are obviously a good human being and well educated so again thank you for contrubuting to this thread!!! I know there is not one person who has paid the kind of money it requires for a commercial during the Super Bowl that will change it--it is a done deal! I just was hoping to remind people that we have a responsibility to protect the critters (Greyhounds) in this world we live in!
Thank You!
(although there are a whole bunch on this forum that would rather see me at the end of a swining rope )

I have learned in life that there is a line between passion for a cause and irrational emotional uselessness. Too often in aniomal welfare issues the average person engages in the 2nd one. That means they waste their time, energy, effort and money and accomplish nothing but making themself look like inmature pychotic dweebs. Oh they talk a good talk, push all the emotional buttons, raise the hackles of the masses and play to the mob mentality. yet they accomplished nothing, they saved nothing, they changed nobodys mind that they needed changed.

So I stay away from the mass hysteria that often grips people on animal welfare issues and instead try to think of what I can do to first get their attention, second to get them to consider what i have to say in a positive way, and third to act in some way that will accomplish the end goal. Many times the answer is simply not to be one of those emotional lunitics and simply explain in rational ways the issue and solution.

People have to remember that its so very easy to brush aside concerns when it sound like some 8 year old throwing a pissy tantrum, its a whole nother thing when your faced with a well thought out, rational piece of debate. At any point you need some help to figure out a plan of attack on an issue, don;t hestitate to contact me by a direct message and I;ll do what i can especially if its for animal welfare.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,436,319 times
Bring on the dog races!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,308,052 times
Quote:
GH Racing is Not cruel No more than Horse Racing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As a former owner of 5 thoroughbred race horses, two comments:

1). Horse racing is cruel

2). Dog racing is cruel.

Personally, I would like to see both of them labeled as Class A Felonies.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As a former owner of 5 thoroughbred race horses, two comments:

1). Horse racing is cruel

2). Dog racing is cruel.

Personally, I would like to see both of them labeled as Class A Felonies.
Please explain. I'm not doubting your credentials, but what you just said is essentially "I know what I'm talking about, therefore, horse and dog racing are cruel and should be high-order crimes". I'm genuinely curious about what your reasons may be, but as it stands that isn't much input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or