U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 AM

457 posts, read 752,319 times

Advertisements

Any of you have a dog that picks certain types, or dogs with a certain look that they, in a split second, decide that they don't like? I wish I knew what it was that causes it!

I have a 2 year old male dog (neutered) who does this. Some dogs, he can hang around and be just fine, but then that "one dog" comes in, and he instantly turns into a jerk! It's almost as if he's profiling them or something.

My boy, is a pit mix, and has a lean, cut look. Well...it seems that MOST of the dogs that dislikes, have that same kind of look...and he HATES Great Danes (such beautiful dogs)! I'm thinking that with the Danes, it's because they're MUCH bigger than he is, and he feels intimidated.

Last night, was his first night of a new class (Foundation Agility ), and there were a total of 7 dogs in class, counting him. He was fine with 6 of the other 5. The one that he has taken an immediate disliking to (he decided as soon as the other dog entered the room, BEFORE the other dog even acknowledged him) is a 5 month old Doberman.

He REALLY took up an attitude about that little youngster. I just don't get it. Even when the Doberman was paying no attention to my boy...I kept having to redirect him from staring him down. He didn't mind the other dogs, just this one.

Any thoughts on WHY he's being so crazy this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,757,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Any of you have a dog that picks certain types, or dogs with a certain look that they, in a split second, decide that they don't like? I wish I knew what it was that causes it!

I have a 2 year old male dog (neutered) who does this. Some dogs, he can hang around and be just fine, but then that "one dog" comes in, and he instantly turns into a jerk! It's almost as if he's profiling them or something.

My boy, is a pit mix, and has a lean, cut look. Well...it seems that MOST of the dogs that dislikes, have that same kind of look...and he HATES Great Danes (such beautiful dogs)! I'm thinking that with the Danes, it's because they're MUCH bigger than he is, and he feels intimidated.

Last night, was his first night of a new class (Foundation Agility ), and there were a total of 7 dogs in class, counting him. He was fine with 6 of the other 5. The one that he has taken an immediate disliking to (he decided as soon as the other dog entered the room, BEFORE the other dog even acknowledged him) is a 5 month old Doberman.

He REALLY took up an attitude about that little youngster. I just don't get it. Even when the Doberman was paying no attention to my boy...I kept having to redirect him from staring him down. He didn't mind the other dogs, just this one.

Any thoughts on WHY he's being so crazy this way?
It could be the general carriage of the great dane. They have a normal head up, ears up, tail up regal look to them which your dog may be intimidated by which in turn causes his defenses to go up. Rotties, and other pits especially those that are well defined had their ears up etc show this same kind of regality that could look like a challenge to your dog.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM

457 posts, read 752,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
It could be the general carriage of the great dane. They have a normal head up, ears up, tail up regal look to them which your dog may be intimidated by which in turn causes his defenses to go up. Rotties, and other pits especially those that are well defined had their ears up etc show this same kind of regality that could look like a challenge to your dog.

That's kind of what I was thinking also. The Doberman that came in, had his tail up, and was trotting along quite proudly for only being 5 months old. There's another dog in this class, that we went through CGC with, and he's got the same reaction to her, though not as intense. She's a mix with what looks like maybe a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and he doesn't care much for her either. I'm thinking that I'll have to be adding Dobermans to the list of dogs to keep clear of. It's really funny though...one of his best friends is a pittie mix that's built almost identical to him! lol

Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,051,199 times
It could be the sex of the dog, past experiences with the dog and the dogs body language.

Dogs give quick indicators that you may not see
regardless if the hackles are up
They will quickly flash their teeth. You may not even see it ,some do it to quickely.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM

3,961 posts, read 8,478,850 times
I had a golden retriever/beagle mix dog weighing 35 pounds. I got him at a dog shelter when he was 18 months old. For some reason he always hated large white dogs. He would almost go after them like he was going to attack them. He would bark and growl and leap toward them when we were walking around the block. There were 2 large white dogs in our neighborhood and he would do it to either one. Even though they were friendly dogs.

The place we adopted him said he was a stray found running the streets of Manhattan. He had some cuts and scratches/scars on him. I think maybe he must have gotten into it with a large white dog at some point in his life.

So it could be a past experience with another dog or the fact that they were all males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or