U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,038,298 times
Reputation: 6063

Advertisements

So, I got this e-mail a while back from someone trying to help the shelter on the other side of me. Not the bad one where the Director just got fired. I sent an e-mail back offering to help. I called and left messages. After a week I found out that a good friend that does rescue in the town on the other side of them had been trying to help them out but was just way too bogged down with other shelters and had to back out. She put me in touch with the lady that had sent the e-mail and who worked with the shelter Director.

Slowly over the last week or two I've finally gotten access to the e-mail accounts - there were three, none of them monitored! - and the Petfinder account which had been suspended because no one was using it. I got in and met the Director and went through the shelter to get quick (terrible) pictures of the dogs and go over paperwork. All in all it was a great visit. He's a really good guy that loves animals, but doesn't know much about rescue, fostering, transport, etc. So he's been doing what he can but it's very limited. He was very interested in anything I had to say that may help out the dogs though so I was pretty excited. He basically gave me the green light to do anything I wanted. Silly boy doesn't know how dangerous that is! LOL I did warn him I tend to throw myself into these things 250% so if I go over board or step on toes he needs to let me know immediately and I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

In the last week I found a local program that unemployed people sign up for. If they're not eligible for unemployment or a cash welfare check, they sign up here and do work around the community and for non-profit groups and the agency will cut them a small check for their work. In exchange for us getting free help, we have to do training, evaluations, etc. No biggie there. Did that for years at work. Got plenty business management skills behind me. Just faxed off the paperwork to the guy that heads the group today and we should have our first volunteers at the shelter first thing Monday morning to help clean kennels, give dogs food and water and get them out to socialize and do basic obedience with them. Yay!

Got all the e-mails caught up, have a list of about five dozen rescues ready to pull, a couple people offered to foster and a couple other have been priceless offering to help monitor the seldom used e-mails and keep Petfinder updated, as well as going to take photos two days a week each. Between the three of us, there will be photos taken every single day so Petfinder will always be up to date and our dogs information and pictures will always be going out to the networkers that will spread the animals to even more rescues groups.

I've contacted a local business who's donated food, bedding chips for the dogs bedding, dog treats, etc and made a commitment to it monthly. I've sent an e-mail to an on line business to see if we can get on their donation program for vaccines for the dogs. I've been in touch with four area spay / neuter clinics to set up low cost vetting for the animals so that as they're adopted they'll be spayed or neutered BEFORE going home and so that rescues can vet them cheaply before putting them on transports to go to the rescues up north where vetting is wicked expensive.

While I'm really excited about all of this, by far my absolute favorite thing of the week was my meeting with the County Executive. Now, I've seen first hand the junk that's gone on in Warren County. I've watched the DA, CE, and the County Commissioners all pretend they give a rat's turd about animals in their area while it's so incredibly obvious they don't. They refuse to work with rescues. Refuse to allow people into the shelter for ANY reason. Saw evidence handed to the county showing the Director illegally killed 300 animals in a single year and there was no discipline for it, etc. So I went in hoping, but expecting not so great.

Boy was I wrong!!! OMG, I totally LOVE White County, Tennessee!!! Now, I had already decided I liked it. I worked with the Sheriff there a while back and found out he went to the same law enforcement academy that our agency went to. So we had something in common. But after seeing how he really turned his department around and the great things he was doing, I was pretty excited about the county to begin with. My only issue - and it's a HUGE one IMO - is the city itself has a BSL ordinance. BOOOO!!!! I'm hoping over time I can get it over turned though.

Anyway, I stopped in to have the Director (Mike) sign the papers for the volunteer program and we chatted in the county office for a bit. After a bit, a voice from the office off the lobby / secretary's office asks Mike who he's talking to. So Mike says to me I have to meet the County Executive. Ugh. Butterflies in tummy. I'd been warned by someone else that there were so many politics there and it was so 'country' that I shouldn't expect a thing to be done. Wow. How totally wrong was that!

I walked in and Mike introduced me to Herd Sullivan, the CE. I wound up chatting for a good couple hours with the two of them. Herd and Mike both were incredibly concerned about the dogs there. Shortly after Mike introduced us I asked if they had access to any sheet metal. He said he figured if it was needed they could get some, and asked what for. I told him that the shelter isn't currently enclosed - the front and back both have huge runs of open building where the wind just whips through there and with winter here it's too cold for the dogs. I told him when the temps are in the teens, single digits and below, when Mike washes out those runs the dogs are going to freeze to the ground. So while I was still sitting there he had the maintenance guy called to his office, told him to go right then and measure for the building to be enclosed immediately! Mike told him he'd like a walk door in the front and a garage door in the back but wants the double chain link fence gates left there so that in the spring and fall on nice days he can open all the doors for the dogs to get some fresh air. So he told the guy to call the Mennonites they use for doors and have them go out and measure it to Mike's specs!

Well, the meeting went on for quite some time. We covered SO many topics, but he said he wants to look at the Dangerous Dog Law that I suggested and have me come talk to the committee about it. I told him he needs to let Mike carry his gun on duty (he has his permit already) because some of these people out here get pretty fired up about their dogs and it's a huge liability to have him out there with no way to protect himself. We discussed the new TN law that makes it nearly impossible to dart a dog and how it leaves the public in danger. We talked about catch poles, aggressive dogs, etc. We have differing opinions on very little, and it was just a wonderful talk! I'm really, really excited about working with a county that truly cares!

Oh, and in the last two days, I've had three dogs pulled by rescue............and pulled one myself. This is Peanut:

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Dachshund | Bone Cave, TN | Peanut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,696,890 times
Reputation: 5207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So, I got this e-mail a while back from someone trying to help the shelter on the other side of me. Not the bad one where the Director just got fired. I sent an e-mail back offering to help. I called and left messages. After a week I found out that a good friend that does rescue in the town on the other side of them had been trying to help them out but was just way too bogged down with other shelters and had to back out. She put me in touch with the lady that had sent the e-mail and who worked with the shelter Director.

Slowly over the last week or two I've finally gotten access to the e-mail accounts - there were three, none of them monitored! - and the Petfinder account which had been suspended because no one was using it. I got in and met the Director and went through the shelter to get quick (terrible) pictures of the dogs and go over paperwork. All in all it was a great visit. He's a really good guy that loves animals, but doesn't know much about rescue, fostering, transport, etc. So he's been doing what he can but it's very limited. He was very interested in anything I had to say that may help out the dogs though so I was pretty excited. He basically gave me the green light to do anything I wanted. Silly boy doesn't know how dangerous that is! LOL I did warn him I tend to throw myself into these things 250% so if I go over board or step on toes he needs to let me know immediately and I certainly wouldn't take it personally.

In the last week I found a local program that unemployed people sign up for. If they're not eligible for unemployment or a cash welfare check, they sign up here and do work around the community and for non-profit groups and the agency will cut them a small check for their work. In exchange for us getting free help, we have to do training, evaluations, etc. No biggie there. Did that for years at work. Got plenty business management skills behind me. Just faxed off the paperwork to the guy that heads the group today and we should have our first volunteers at the shelter first thing Monday morning to help clean kennels, give dogs food and water and get them out to socialize and do basic obedience with them. Yay!

Got all the e-mails caught up, have a list of about five dozen rescues ready to pull, a couple people offered to foster and a couple other have been priceless offering to help monitor the seldom used e-mails and keep Petfinder updated, as well as going to take photos two days a week each. Between the three of us, there will be photos taken every single day so Petfinder will always be up to date and our dogs information and pictures will always be going out to the networkers that will spread the animals to even more rescues groups.

I've contacted a local business who's donated food, bedding chips for the dogs bedding, dog treats, etc and made a commitment to it monthly. I've sent an e-mail to an on line business to see if we can get on their donation program for vaccines for the dogs. I've been in touch with four area spay / neuter clinics to set up low cost vetting for the animals so that as they're adopted they'll be spayed or neutered BEFORE going home and so that rescues can vet them cheaply before putting them on transports to go to the rescues up north where vetting is wicked expensive.

While I'm really excited about all of this, by far my absolute favorite thing of the week was my meeting with the County Executive. Now, I've seen first hand the junk that's gone on in Warren County. I've watched the DA, CE, and the County Commissioners all pretend they give a rat's turd about animals in their area while it's so incredibly obvious they don't. They refuse to work with rescues. Refuse to allow people into the shelter for ANY reason. Saw evidence handed to the county showing the Director illegally killed 300 animals in a single year and there was no discipline for it, etc. So I went in hoping, but expecting not so great.

Boy was I wrong!!! OMG, I totally LOVE White County, Tennessee!!! Now, I had already decided I liked it. I worked with the Sheriff there a while back and found out he went to the same law enforcement academy that our agency went to. So we had something in common. But after seeing how he really turned his department around and the great things he was doing, I was pretty excited about the county to begin with. My only issue - and it's a HUGE one IMO - is the city itself has a BSL ordinance. BOOOO!!!! I'm hoping over time I can get it over turned though.

Anyway, I stopped in to have the Director (Mike) sign the papers for the volunteer program and we chatted in the county office for a bit. After a bit, a voice from the office off the lobby / secretary's office asks Mike who he's talking to. So Mike says to me I have to meet the County Executive. Ugh. Butterflies in tummy. I'd been warned by someone else that there were so many politics there and it was so 'country' that I shouldn't expect a thing to be done. Wow. How totally wrong was that!

I walked in and Mike introduced me to Herd Sullivan, the CE. I wound up chatting for a good couple hours with the two of them. Herd and Mike both were incredibly concerned about the dogs there. Shortly after Mike introduced us I asked if they had access to any sheet metal. He said he figured if it was needed they could get some, and asked what for. I told him that the shelter isn't currently enclosed - the front and back both have huge runs of open building where the wind just whips through there and with winter here it's too cold for the dogs. I told him when the temps are in the teens, single digits and below, when Mike washes out those runs the dogs are going to freeze to the ground. So while I was still sitting there he had the maintenance guy called to his office, told him to go right then and measure for the building to be enclosed immediately! Mike told him he'd like a walk door in the front and a garage door in the back but wants the double chain link fence gates left there so that in the spring and fall on nice days he can open all the doors for the dogs to get some fresh air. So he told the guy to call the Mennonites they use for doors and have them go out and measure it to Mike's specs!

Well, the meeting went on for quite some time. We covered SO many topics, but he said he wants to look at the Dangerous Dog Law that I suggested and have me come talk to the committee about it. I told him he needs to let Mike carry his gun on duty (he has his permit already) because some of these people out here get pretty fired up about their dogs and it's a huge liability to have him out there with no way to protect himself. We discussed the new TN law that makes it nearly impossible to dart a dog and how it leaves the public in danger. We talked about catch poles, aggressive dogs, etc. We have differing opinions on very little, and it was just a wonderful talk! I'm really, really excited about working with a county that truly cares!

Oh, and in the last two days, I've had three dogs pulled by rescue............and pulled one myself. This is Peanut:

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Dachshund | Bone Cave, TN | Peanut
OMG - .....I'm sitting here with my jaw in my lap wondering where in the world you get all that energy! From now on I'm gonna just call you the Tenn Tornado! What else can I say - Lady YOU ROCK!!!!! and thank you for everything you are doing for that shelter and for the animals in its care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,038,298 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
OMG - .....I'm sitting here with my jaw in my lap wondering where in the world you get all that energy! From now on I'm gonna just call you the Tenn Tornado! What else can I say - Lady YOU ROCK!!!!! and thank you for everything you are doing for that shelter and for the animals in its care!
It sounds like a lot but it really wasn't. Just a matter of catching up on e-mails. There was so much in there they missed because they didn't have anyone to monitor it. Kills me! That's how I found out about the volunteer program.

The other stuff - getting donations and all - is just a matter of sending an e-mail to internet companies or stopping at the store while I'm doing errands. It's actually killing me because the shelter is nearly 45 minutes away from me so I've only been on the property twice now. I wish I could be there six days a week. If I were closer I would be too. But thankfully I've found some wonderful people in the area that are offering to help out there too. So my two days a week will be fine.

I'm just so ridiculously excited that I've found a local county that's so awesome! After what's been going on next door, I didn't think there were great counties like this here! Woo Hoo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,450 posts, read 31,562,395 times
Reputation: 8157
Either that or what happened was a wake-up call. Good Luck! Try to keep us posted LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM
 
13,334 posts, read 25,596,053 times
Reputation: 20581
They are fortunate that you found them! Best wishs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,416 posts, read 5,144,825 times
Reputation: 7231
Fantastic!!! Will write more later but right now I gotta get ready to take two dogs on transport up to Ohio to meet a trucker who takes them all the way to Denver. There they take a break til the weekend before heading up to Vancouver, BC. Hounds, can't place em around here so off they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,260,287 times
Reputation: 9611
I'm doing the happy dance with you! And say what you want, but I agree with Va-cat. Tennessee Tornado is just about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,585 posts, read 10,857,075 times
Reputation: 6617
Good for you...you go waaaaaaaaaaaaay more energy than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 AM
 
Location: In the middle...
1,253 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm doing the happy dance with you! And say what you want, but I agree with Va-cat. Tennessee Tornado is just about right.
I third that!!!

You R O C K!!! Thank you for caring enough and sharing your knowledge with the county and shelter. All they needed was you to walk into their life.

TN Tornado!!!

P.S. Peanut is a cutie-pie!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,433,577 times
Reputation: 11453
Rescuers are my heroes!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top