Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times

Advertisements

I searched for this topic and couldn't come up with an old one to bump up..

Is it common for dogs to be jealous of other dogs in the house? I know they do it when a new one joins the family, but mine also do it with older ones that were there before them..

I'm thinking about this because I just picked up my two chiweenie puppies because they hate getting picked up and shown affection for some reason.. but that's a whole nother story

but anyhow, after I put the second one down, my chihuahua, who was sitting in a chair the whole time, looked at me and then turned his head and I swear he rolled his eyes at me.. I know chihuahua's are Very possessive, but this also happens with the other dogs. My crazy chiweenie instantly wants to be the center of attention any time anyone touches another dog and my chow (the mommy/old lady of the bunch) never seemed to like sharing the castle with anyone and that included the cat that lived here 7 years before her...

So, just wondering if this is normal and if there's anything you can do about it. I try to spread the love as best I can, but no matter what you can't do exactly the same thing to all four dogs at the same time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,460 times
It is normal. My 2 have jealousy bouts occasionally even when they receive equal attention. Correct unacceptable behavior every time, be the pack leader.

They have crates right? If not, each needs their own crate. This is not to say they have to be crated 10 hours a day but they do have to know they have their own space.

You're the boss. You dole out the food, the love/affection, and the corrections oh and the playtime/toys.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
My lab is 10 years old, and my beagle/basset is 3 years old. They both show their jealousy of one another in different ways.

If we give the lab attention, the beagle/basset comes running over for attention too. This happens ANYTIME we give the lab attention. The beagle/basset is without a doubt the most jealous of the two. He never gets angry, he just always comes and puts himself in the middle of the attention. Then we're petting two at a time!

If we're paying too much attention to the beagle/basset, the lab will either pout and sulk or pick up a toy to distract the beagle/basset. When the beagle/basset goes over to try to get the toy from the lab, the lab will let the beagle/basset get the toy and then the lab will run over for attention while the beagle/basset is temporarily distracted by the toy.

They're funny. The lab is definitely the dominant dog. He tollerates the beagle/basset most of the time. On occassion, he'll put the beagle/basset in his place if he feels that he's getting too much attention. It's actually quiet comical.

You say that you think you saw your dog turn it's head and roll it's eyes, I assure you that it did. When my lab pouts or sulks, he'll turn his head away from us as if he's too good for us. He can be a very stuck lab up at times.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
At one time we had a Westie and a Cairn Terrier. We had the Westie first and when she was about 2-3 yrs. old we got the Cairn as a puppy. They got along great, played together, stayed in the same yard space, sleeping area etc. After years together they suddenly started fighting and fighting seriously. The Cairn would start it and the Westie would finish it. We had to take the Cairn to the vet to get stitches. We were afraid one would kill or seriously hurt the other. They began fighting on a daily basis. We had to seperate them and they would try to fight through the fence. It was very upsetting. We ended up selling the Cairn Terrier to an area breeder and she is doing well.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM

ha ha, good to see I'm not the only one with a rude dog.. the chihuahua is very good at making you feel guilty with his looks and the way he turns his head. When he's really made he won't look at me at all, so I pick him up and look at the other side and he turns his head again

well, I'm glad I'm not the only one and I definitely hope I never have the problem brokencrayola had. I can't give up any of them for anything..
My main worry is the chow will one day decide she's had enough of the two babies. They're not that big, but they don't know it and they push their luck with the chow every day....

Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,073 times
It's normal...Portia gets so jelous if we don't pet her "at the same time", as well as hef...

Old 09-03-2007, 05:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
I would say that's normal. All three of ours are like that! They even get upset when my husband and I curl up on the sofa together.. They will jump right in the middle of us! lol!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 PM

my chihuahua was also jealous of humans when we first got him and he still is to a point. He's my boy, so he always wants to be around me and will growl at my wife anytime she tries to pick him up or move him. Not a mean growl, just slightly evil and a show of teeth, but he's not stupid enough to actually use them..
This all changes when we go to sleep though because he sleeps against her stomach under the sheets and knows that sleeping by me is dangerous..
He was jealous of me touching her while we were in bed though. that lasted for a few months before he figured out that I'm the boss and I do and touch whatever I want

Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Our lab was jealous of my husband and me.

He would jump up inbetween us when we were kissing or hugging on the sofa.

He'd bark at us when we were having sex in bed.

As he got older, he got over that. He doesn't bother us anymore.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Our lab was jealous of my husband and me.

He would jump up inbetween us when we were kissing or hugging on the sofa.

He'd bark at us when we were having sex in bed.

As he got older, he got over that. He doesn't bother us anymore.
We can't stand to have our pups around when we have sex.. lol! They will try to get in between us, lick us, etc and if we don't pet them they will bark at us until we do! They get put in their crates for that!.. I don't know, it just bothers me to have them right there, even if they aren't bothering us. It feels like we have an audience! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs