Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

There is nothing cruel about crates or kennels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
No one here is talking about crating (or whatever you wish to call it) all the time for life the way puppy mills do.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
I've heard of people who crate their dog at night, or for other short time periods. I can see where a crate would be needed in some instances, but to crate every day or every night seems to be overkill, UNLESS the crate door is open.

If someone is going to crate their dog every day or night then why do you even have a dog? To me, it's nearly as bad as those people who keep their dog outside 24/7 and/or on a chain.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
Our lab is crated 8hrs a day and is just fine with it. We sometimes crate at night, if the dog is sick or there are people staying with us. Everyone is better off.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Before I adopted Artie, he was crated while his previous owner was at work. She didn't trust him to roam free in the house.

When I adopted him, since I work at home, he was never crated. He is not destructive at all. I've never crated him -- even when I go out -- and he just goes to sleep on his futon when he's alone.

He does still have his crate -- its door is always open -- and he goes in there sometimes, even though his futon is three feet from the crate. I guess he wants his own private spot because even though the futon is comfy, it's risky -- because sometimes I go lie down on it too so we can snuggle.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM

410 posts, read 742,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I've heard of people who crate their dog at night, or for other short time periods. I can see where a crate would be needed in some instances, but to crate every day or every night seems to be overkill, UNLESS the crate door is open.

If someone is going to crate their dog every day or night then why do you even have a dog? To me, it's nearly as bad as those people who keep their dog outside 24/7 and/or on a chain.
I agree with you. It seems like people just don't want to put the time into properly training their pets.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Kennels and dog houses are fine. The issue is with the gate that might lock the dog inside.
It isn't cruel that these gates exist... the cruelty comes in how they're often used.

In far too many instances... the gates are used far too much.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I keep my dog in a crate for a few hours every day when I am at work, and he is the happiest dog in the world. I set up video cameras once and watched, and just sleeps all day anyway. I leave the door to it open all the time, and he often goes in and lays down without me prompting him.

For those of you who ask why those of us who kennel dogs have one in the first place, let me say this: in an ideal world every dog would live in a house with a family of five where one parent stays at home with the dog 100% of the time and kids play with it for hours every night, but that isn't reality. Reality is that there are much more dogs than there are homes. For those of you who ask why have a dog if you have to crate it, let me ask you this: What would you rather have? A dog be owned by a single person with less time (like me) who loves it and will do most anything for it, or would you rather that dog stay in a cage 24 hours/day in a shelter, and possibly be euthanasized?

The option isn't between an owner with limited time and the family with the stay at home parent. The option is between the owner with limited time and no owner at all. If dogs were scarce, I would give mine up to a family with more time than me in a heartbeat, but being with me is a much better life for the dog than not having a home at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM

128 posts, read 220,554 times
Yes crating is ok for short periods...I know people that crate 9 hrs at work...come home..let them out for 2 hrs then back they go for the nite....98percent of a dogs life is way too much. Id say 4 or 5 hrs a day max...but I wud nvr feel good doing that. Some dogs do like them I suppose...but 9 or ten hrs all day to me is cruelty.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMurphy64 View Post
Yes crating is ok for short periods...I know people that crate 9 hrs at work...come home..let them out for 2 hrs then back they go for the nite....98percent of a dogs life is way too much. Id say 4 or 5 hrs a day max...but I wud nvr feel good doing that. Some dogs do like them I suppose...but 9 or ten hrs all day to me is cruelty.
In your mind, is crating a dog for 9 hours/day more or less cruel than not adopting the dog and having it put down by a shelter? Because that is only alternative in many scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs