U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,427,618 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that some dog owners put their dogs in cages where there is little room for the dog to move about. Isn't this a form of cruelty to animals? I can't imagine myself being placed in such a cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM

45 posts, read 85,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I can't imagine myself being placed in such a cage.
This is not about you. It is about what is best for the dog. If the dog can stand and turn around, then curl up to sleep, the cage is OK. Dogs make their dens in smaller, confined spaces. Dogs use their cages as a refuge and place to "call" their own, unless their owner routinely uses it as punishment.

A cage or crate is a good way to transport a dog, keeping them from chewing up car interiors or personal property left in the car. It provides them with a familiar place to sleep if you are traveling and have to stay in a hotel or guest room. Properly used, it tells the dog that it is quiet time.

All of this reduces the owners frustration, anger and anxiety at their pet, which is something dogs "feel" from that owner.

The cage/crate/box/kennel is a tool for the responsible owner. Like any useful thing, is open to misuse by the ignorant or uncaring.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,993 times
I am of two minds about this. I think it depends on the purpose and frequency of use.

If a cage is being used to transport an animal, then a smaller cage is more secure, gives them a feeling of safety, for a temporary transport in unfamiliar surroundings.

As much as I know I'll get flamed for this, I don't believe that a cage should be used daily, especially inside the house, or for any dogs for every occurance. Our dogs have always been told where they were to sit in a car, be it in the seat or in the floorboard (one we had was so large that she sat in the seat with her paws on the floorboard, looking out the window, wearing a seatbelt like a human!) They learned quickly that ther 'seats' were the comfy ones with sleeping bags on them to wallow on.

My dogs have always had free run of the house and were taught not to tear up or do their business in the house.

The most recent puppy we got was brought into our beds at night for comfort, not left in a cage, with the freedom to wake and explore if he got up at night. He bcame familiar with the house, its creaks and groans and every part of it, and now trots all over it to investigate noises or to keep an eye on us and what we are doing. He even comes upstairs and wakes me up - silently, nose-in-face, tail wagging, if I oversleep!

We have a small 'run' outside that we rarely use. When he is naughty, he is told, "Go to your room!" and he will run there and sit - even with the door wide open - until he is told to come inside. All of the house inside is his "castle", and he is protective of it. He is afraid of nothing, is affectionate and outgoing, and a valued part of the family. Oh, he is also a herd dog, and is trained to run cattle into and out of corrals and the barns, to stop and start when told, to ride the 4-wheeler without a leash, always alert, ready to work.

To us, 'caging' him is restricting him and keeping him from his duties; to guard, patrol, protect, and work. Caging is - in his mind - punishment, used infrequently, and only for "outside" infractions.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
When we got our first dog, crating was almost unheard of. It was a foreign idea to me and yes, it seemed cruel. We never crated our dogs until the 2 we have currently. I think to crate a dog long hours, every day, long term is cruel, but for a few hours, or on occasion for longer, it's fine for most dogs. It's invaluable when you have a new dog who's behavior is unknown, and who needs to settle in. Some never adjust to it but most dogs actually like it and feel secure.
I wish we had crated our first dog, a puppy, rather than closing him in a room in the basement when we were away. He really hated it and I think he would have felt more secure in a crate. It upset him so much we gave him the run of the house sooner than we really should, when he was still chewing, and it was lucky he never got hold of something that could have made him ill.
Our current dogs do have the run of the house when we're gone for short periods, for longer periods they're in the crate with a kong or something to keep them occupied and they're very OK with that. It also helps when a repairman or someone comes over. We used to just close dogs in a bedroom for that, but they seem calmer and quieter with banging noises etc. when they're in a crate. It's like a safe spot for them.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
i agree with subject2change.
before moving to the usa i never heard of crating...
then i thought"wow isnt that cruel
but in reality it makes sense, in a natural situation dogs seek small dark spaces for saftey at night or when scared.

it also makes sense from a saftey side of things...

i do NOT agree with crating dogs exsessivly...overnight, for a few hours during the day, and if a dog is going to be crated you have to make up fro that down time with more excersize when your home.
i think for people who work full time jobs a room thats been pupy proofed is a better option than a crate...but a crate WHEN USED PROPERLY is not cruel.
my dogs sleep in their crates...thir crates are open during the day and fully acessable, and ill often find them in their own crates asleep...they go in of their own free will even wtihout me telling them.
at night i tell them bedtime and each one goes to thier crates, no muss no fuss, nocrying or whining...
so if they were turely "cruel" i highly doubt my dogs would enter them on their own free will...

Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
My dogs love the crate, they will sleep in it at times when I am home with them. I had a cat who also used to sleep in it. When I worked, they were crated all day but got a long walk as soon as I came home and again before I went to work.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,572,098 times
My dogs love their crates. They are used during puppyhood to keep the puppy safe, during house training, during travel, etc. Until the pup earns house freedom it is either crated or in an ex-pen with the crate inside the pen with the crate door open. I do not want to return from work and find a dead pup because it chewed electrical wires or got into something poisonous to it (or other disaster). Don't forget pups sleep most of the time anyway so the crate acts like a den.

Crate trained dogs are also less anxious if they have to be boarded, stay overnight at the vet's, or travel by air.

Finally, Dogs are den animals. They are not furry humans.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 AM

21,287 posts, read 11,520,139 times
Our dogs are only crated at night and they go in on their own. During the day when we are at work my older dog has the run of the house and our 6 month old pup is gated into a hallway with a bed and a bunch of toys. Seems to be working great, the little one has never had an accident.

Like has been mentioned, crates are good as long as they aren't spending a good part of their life in it. My daughter's dog is here for the weekend and all he wants to do is sit in his crate. I have to coax him out to go for a walk. He sits in there all the time with the door open.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
There is a big difference between "caging" a dog and using the "kenneling technique". No dog should live in a cage. The main words to take note of in that senence are "live in". Kenneling is completely differrent. Introduced properly, dogs soon come to love their kennel space and seek it on their own. To summerize it, caging is bad, kenneling is good. Its all in how it is used that makes the difference.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,078,127 times
I don't agree with caging a dog all day, because to me, caging is different than crate-training. When I think of "caging" I think of those horrible ASPCA commercials that show starved dogs in a tiny cell of a cage, living there for their entire lives and only coming out when they were rescued. That is probably the wrong definition but that's what I picture.

When someone says they are crate-training their dog, I imagine it to be very effective, and the dog only goes in when the owners are away somewhere. We put our dog in the crate when we are out. When we're home, he goes on about 2 walks a day, we have a large backyard that he plays in, he does play with our cat too. He has countless toys. Like someone else said, our dog will go in his crate (we leave it open when he's not in it-- it has his favorite blanket, an orthopedic bed, and toys in it...it's pretty big in there) when we're sitting on the couch. He has 2 other doggy beds but he would rather chill in his big ol' crate. Heck, we've even caught the kitty sleeping in it one night. Must be the big orthopedic bed...kinda like a tempurpedic for dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or