U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM

36,479 posts, read 43,619,078 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here know these women and their organization? This is a heart breaking story.

PhotoBlog - Founder of dog rescue group arrested after 128 dogs found in U-Haul truck

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ayette-county/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,450,844 times
Very sad. At least these dogs and cat will now be treated right...hopefully.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,653,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I thankfully don't know them but the scenerio is one that has become all to common. There are many many hoarders calling themselves "rescue". Maybe these women started with the best of intentions but I hope they have the book thrown at them!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,054,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I thankfully don't know them but the scenerio is one that has become all to common. :
At my area, there was an internal power stuggle. The original creator who owns the property that housed dogs and cats split from the board and passed away. In her will, she left $580,000 to a person who she picked to manage the facility. Recently, the animal control raided the rescue. Hundreds of dogs were there with no care and water. Who knows for how long. The person who took the money bought herself a nice house and didn't spend any on the dogs. Sad. So if I will leave a large sum of money to an animal rescue, I will make sure that rescue has a system in place that prevents hoarding and misuse of money.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,787,412 times
not familiar with them .... but this story is ALL OVER the rescue community on FB.....

Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,626,852 times
I just saw it on my local news.

Here's a news story from another site
WSET.com - ABC13 - Women Arrested for Animal Cruelty After Driving 144 Dogs Across

It says 144 dogs.

It certainly is sad. One dog died during the transport. I would think there are better ways to transport dogs.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,803,320 times
The sad reality is this is so common that it should not surprise anyone when it happens. Also look att he way we react to the story based on HOW it was disclosed. You have some folks hoarding animals is deplorable conditions but call themself a Rescue and suddenly people will come to their defense against the agencies tasked with preventing animal abuse. We hear over and over again how these government agencies are the ones who create the problems by requiring Rescues to meet certain minuimum standards for care. No we have got to the point that we let any fool and their whacked out head case leader claim int he name of RESCUE that they have some rights and ability far above what we would expect or Accept from anyone else.

Do we really care about the animals when we are involved in rescue work or have we created a fifedom and protecting that has become more important than the suffereing animals? I say the time has come for all rescue organization to be licenesed and scrutinized just like we expect of mills and breeeders.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,787,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The sad reality is this is so common that it should not surprise anyone when it happens. Also look att he way we react to the story based on HOW it was disclosed. You have some folks hoarding animals is deplorable conditions but call themself a Rescue and suddenly people will come to their defense against the agencies tasked with preventing animal abuse. We hear over and over again how these government agencies are the ones who create the problems by requiring Rescues to meet certain minuimum standards for care. No we have got to the point that we let any fool and their whacked out head case leader claim int he name of RESCUE that they have some rights and ability far above what we would expect or Accept from anyone else.

Do we really care about the animals when we are involved in rescue work or have we created a fifedom and protecting that has become more important than the suffereing animals? I say the time has come for all rescue organization to be licenesed and scrutinized just like we expect of mills and breeeders.

i have never seen a single post on this forum defending hoarders or protesting rescues meeting minimum standards of care.... must be another board you are confusing with this one.....

not saying there is not a lot of backbiting and general political bs in the rescue community, but i think your post is inaccurate about this particular forum....

Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,113,502 times
I heard this on the local news last night, since she was bound for Roanoke, VA and that is where our "local" stations are based.

I then spent a lot of time googling this rescue and found several articles in CA papers about them. In one she said that adoptions were way down in their SoCal area and that was part of the reason that she decided to move her efforts to VA.

Hate to tell her but in VA (according to VDACS reporting) over 34,000 dogs were euthanized here in 2010. (2011 data not all in yet). Many rescues here routinely ship dogs out of state to other rescues in larger metro areas since we can not find local homes for all of them. I did a transport this past Friday of two hounds from my own humane society that are ultimately bound for Vancouver, BC in Canada.

They really should have made much more of an effort to place most, if not all, of the dogs while still in CA and started fresh here if they wanted to move to VA.

The town they were going to, Huddleston, in Bedford Co., is about half way between Roanoke and Lynchburg and is a rural area and they would have to take dogs to either of those cities for adoption events at places like Petsmart. The Bedford Humane Society in 2010 adopted out 41 dogs, transferred 2 to other in-state organizations and sent 98 on transport to out of state groups. Bedford Co. Animal Control took in 533 strays, 434 owner/surrenders and 25 seized dogs. The adopted out 220, transferred 178 to other facilities and euthanized 442.

Their website was not very informative but it did say that they had adopted out over 12,000 dogs since 1997. That would be about 800 a year or 15 a week on average. No way would they come close to those numbers here.

I just can NOT begin to understand how they could think that they could cram so many dogs in a cargo van for such a long journey and think they would be OK. Unbelievably stupid.

I hope that the two animal control facilities in TN are willing to work with rescues to move these dogs and not just put most of them down for lack of space or claim they are too ill to be placed.

A little additional info - according to their facebook page The Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby Co is providing some assistance in the way of supplies and labor at the temp shelter where the dogs are being housed. Perhaps some here might want to consider sending a small donation if able since it is unlikely that they will receive any compensation from either the county or Hearts for Hounds.

http://www.facebook.com/HumaneSociet...isShelbyCounty

Last edited by zugor; 01-18-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM

36,479 posts, read 43,619,078 times
thanks zugor for the additional information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or