Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I would suggest you work with a trainer that uses a balanced approach to help you and your dog get past this behavior.

When dealing with aggression and such a lack of socialization you really need someone there who can see your dog and your own handling skills in person. Advice via the internet for something like this is never going to be enough.

I would stay away from big box pet store classes and try to find a trainer that will either come to your home for private sessions, or a trainer that will do a board and train situation where they train the dog and then show you how to keep that up.

Good luck, and hang in there, you can work through this is will just take time and training.
Good post! I agree! We can read all kinds of posts from people who might think they are experts, but a trainer does that for a living and usually gets the results you want and need. Like CoffeeAddict suggested, get a trainer to look at you and your dog together, the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
I think you and your dog would do better with a behaviorist in stead of a trainer. You said your dog can sit/stay/no. Her issues are with her behavior not her training.

Talk with your vet and ask for a reference (behaviorist) and then ask the behaviorist for references if you'd like...if you are short on time, meet the behaviorist your vet recommeded and go with your gut feeling.

Cesar Millan is a behavioral expert and he trains people. He is not a dog trainer.

Hope this helps and I wish you the best. Peis are tenacious, as you know. I prefer the word tenacious. Stubborn is a human characteristic not a good word to discribe a dog. Dogs are not human, they are dogs

If you are going to spend your money for private time, get your monies worth with a behaviorist. You will get to the bottom of the issues and work with you dog instead of against her.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
lol...yes they think they are human though I did spoil her a bit, and Buddha and Corky have been coddled.

Not sure if I can find a behaviorist in NE tenn, Im lucky to find a decent vet...

Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM

153 posts, read 937,081 times
Quote:
Cesar Millan is a behavioral expert and he trains people. He is not a dog trainer.
Cesar is not a behaviorist. You can only get that title with a degree. Anyone can call themselves a behavior expert, it's not really the same thing.

Personally I think you get more "bang for your buck" with an experienced trainer that will show you how to use obedience to manage your dog's behavior, then you will get with someone who claims to be a "behavior expert" or even misuses the title of "behaviorist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs